Will the pain end?? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will the pain end?? Will the pain end??

Unread 03-23-2002, 06:57 AM
Will the pain end??

Just wondering if any "princesses" out there had experienced the symptoms I am hoping will be gone if I have the surgery! For the past 2 years I have experienced painful intercourse...recently it has been 100% worse, I find myself holding my stomach just to get through it...I sure it is a big turn on for my husband! I also have "stabbing" pelvic pain through out the month and cramping all month long too...never sure if my period is coming or not! I had a laporoscopy last June to see if I had endo, they found no endo, but a enlarged, soft, and boggy uterus, which led them to the diagnosis of adenomyosis...I did the b/c years ago, could not tolerate, and did the 6 month lupron...during the lupron, all my symptoms disappeared..no periods, absolutely no painful intercourse, and not cramping! My hopes were high and 2 months after the lupron ended, all those symptoms came back full force! Has anyone felt this? Will the painful intercourse and pain all month be gone? I have not met with my doctor yet so I don't know if they will even let me have a hysterectomy...do you think they will try other alternatives? I cannot go through the lupron again, and I don't know what else they may try? I have 2 great step daughters that I raised as my own and my husband and I have a beautiful 8 year old son...my husband had a vasectomy 8 years ago and we have no desire for more children...do you think that the insurance company will make me try other alternatives? I know there is no cure for adeno and I am just praying that they will allow this surgery...I just want my life back!!
Thanks to all at this site...you have been the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2002, 07:13 AM
Will the pain end??

MJM,

Adenomyosis (also known as endo inside uterus) from what I have read can be cured by doing a hysterectomy. There is also something called ablation that the doc can perform to see if it helps. The reason why your symptoms return after going off lupron therapy is because the brain receives a signal that there is no more of that drug in your system, thus the bleeding, cramping, etc return. Lupron, as I am sure you know, can only be done for 6 months max at a time, then the body needs a break from it. I am on Lupron right now (started in Feb) for suspected micoscopic endometriosis. I was to only do Lupron for 2 months (got last shot March 15th). My doc said if the Lupron helped with my symptoms (presistent LRQ pain ~ and 2 failed laps), then the hysterectomy was my next step. The lupron has helped with the pain, but sometimes I still feel it. The pain before Lupron was terrible.. ranging anywhere from 6-8 on scaled of 1-10 and now, it is averaging about a 4. I have had a couple of really bad episodes (felt like contractions). Sounds as if you need to have a good chat with your doctor about any possible alternatives to a hysterectomy. If you are done having children and are really sick of being sick (which it sounds like you are), then the hyster would probably be the next option. Again, discuss this with your own doc. Let us know what happens! Best wishes to you.
Unread 03-23-2002, 08:11 AM
Adenomyosis

hi there MJM93

I also had Adenomyosis. It is an awful condition. There is no known cure that last. Some things can help "for a while" I put up with the pain, whacky periods, clotting, back & leg pain for a few years. Tried BC pills. D&C's, you name it. I did not have Lupron due to the fact my Dr felt it would not be in my best interest.

My GYN flat out said that long term relief from Adeno was such a low %. That most often symptoms come back and usually worse. I did a lot of reading/research on Adeno. I asked tons of questions and got most the answers i needed to make a decision.

I am 35 years old. I had my tubes tied already "so no more children was already decided" My problems lasted for a few years and nothing was working. This is what made up my mind and my gyn's to go ahead with the surgery.

The gyn that did my surgery was a second opinion. He took the time to listen and talk to me. He did the testing that needed done.

Get all the info you can and make a list of questions and concerns for your Dr. Take notes even if you feel you might like to refer to them later. Tell them what you want to see done.

Best wishes to you, I hope you get releif from your pain soon

Michele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2002, 09:19 AM
Will the pain end??

Hi, Dejavu on all the pain. Definitely efffects the quality of your life and unfortunately the rest of your family members. A husband and a wife should be able to enjoy having sex. I would almost be in tears afterwards. The pain during and after sex was unbearable (knife stabbing pain). My periods were a nightmare. Severly cramped most of the month, migraines, bad attitude, throw in 15 days of bleeding, add some anemia and that was the quality of my life. I'm only 4 weeks post-op and hopeing that this nightmare is behind me. For 2 years I complained about all the above to my Civillian female GYN. All I got was Lip service and non-invasive alternatives. I stood my ground on Hyst. and she finally threw in the towel. Flip side, were military so surgically procedures have to be on a non-avalibility bases. I had some testing done through Military facility. All they found on sonograph was Polyp. Once again, Non-invasive procedure was recommended. I'm totally over-it at this point. What's wrong with all these Doctor's (Hello Dr., are you hearing me?????). Quality of life for me and my family is suffering. I'm begging for permanent relief, their offering me a Band-Aid. I stood my ground against the quotes of the "American Gynecology Association", for which criteria for Hysterectomy should be performed. I'm an individual not a chapter in a text book. Had my TVH in Feb. 2002. Patalogy Report: Adenomyosis. From all my research, Only treatment for Adeno. is hysterectomy. If your Doctor on the next visit recommends a hyst. due to Adeno. I don't see how the insurance company can deny request. Sorry, didn't mean to vent on your thread. Good luck to you, your not alone. Lucky Marie
Unread 03-23-2002, 10:15 AM
Thank you!

Thank you so much for the posts....if feels SO good to know I am not alone! My friends cannot fully understand the nightmare I have been going through...my husband is sympethetic, but to only a certain degree. My mom is VERY supportave, although she worked for an OB/GYN for 20+ years and my aunt also had adenomyosis, so she has been very helpful...
Thanks again to everyone here!
Unread 03-23-2002, 03:03 PM
Will the pain end??

Lucky Marie again, I just wanted to clear something up about Doctor's. My Military Doctor's 1) Staff Doc.(thinks this is a wonderful site) had no problem with me having Hyst. 2) Resident Doc. wanted to do non-invasive first. Being a Resident Doc. they probable have to go by the book. Wanted to clear that up because the resident who did my surgery did a great job. No surgical complications. Like to add something else. Anti-Hysterectomy Associations /sites and Doctor's claiming alternatives(alternatives, alternatives) to Hysterectomy's need to Talk to the insurance companys. Who are not willing to pay for appropriate testing (MRI, Cat, etc.) because of the cost. These costly test could medically support a non-invasive procedure or medically support Hysterectomy as the only alternative. Women don't just wake up one day and say " Gee, I think i'll call my GYN today and schedule a Hysterectomy". Sorry Girls. I get really frustrated when I think about all the crap women have to go through just to live a normal, PAIN-FREE life. Take Care ladies, Lucky Marie

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register