Ovarian failure, POST HYST? Question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian failure, POST HYST?  Question Ovarian failure, POST HYST? Question

Unread 03-23-2002, 01:02 PM
Ovarian failure, POST HYST? Question

How common is this, REALLY? Everyone seems to have a different answer.. It's really discouraging! Is it just luck of the draw, or what? I really don't want to deal with HRT, I'm only 31. I want to keep my ovaries, but am very worried about them shutting down permanently after my hyst. I know to expect a *shock* period, but how often do they shut down for good, soon after? I am praying and hoping to get at least 10 years out of them, is this asking too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2002, 02:15 PM
Hi Julie

I'm sorry I don't have any insight on this, but wanted to send a to you.
31 is pretty young to have to deal with all this. However glad you have found this web site. I know there will be good information along for you shortly that can help you understand what to expect.
Everyone is different as you have probably gathered from what you have read so far. You do have age on your side which I would think would help.
Have you asked your doctor what to expect? If not please give him a call to discuss as well.
Also, there is a purple search button in the upper right corner of this page. You could do a search on Ovaries and get's lot's of info.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Unread 03-23-2002, 05:36 PM
ovary survival rate

Hi there Julie

I asked my ob/gyn this same question. I am 35 yrs old and did not want to deal with HRT yet either. My ovaries were healthy and had no risks "medical" of keeping them. So on went my questions. He was vague at first "not sure why" But then he stated that it was a 50/50 shot either way. This can seem grim or optimistic. That whole 50/50 thing can make u think and over think.

I thought of this as I have a 50% chance they will not fail me. Also a 50% chance of no HRT till they go out gracefully with the proper age. Either way Julie this is your choice. Your best bet is to get as informed as you can. Ask your Dr questions. Don't stop asking them until you are at peace with your decision.

& take care
Michele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2002, 05:46 PM
Hi there!

My gyno told me that if my ovaries were healthy, then she would not touch them...and I quote...."Because you have a lot of good years left with them." I was 37 when I had my tah.

Here I am, approaching my 2 year anniversary and I just had a blood test to see if the ovaries were still working (this past Tuesday, actually)! My doc says they are still producing LOTS of estrogen.

However, I have noticed some peri-menopausal symptoms lately (thus the blood test) and my doc put me on the weakest estrogen to offset these symptoms (mood swings, night sweats).

So it really is a "crapshoot", but all in all, I believe it's best to keep the healthy organs IN as long as possible!
Unread 03-23-2002, 05:47 PM
ovary failure

Wow, Julie, 31, me too. Julie T. 31 years old, birthday April 13, 1970, 4 kids, and had TVH on 3-7-02. I was also very concerned about ovarian failure, spoke to my doc and researched what I could. My Dr. also said it was about 50/50, and research I found said about the same. One thing I also found was a great majority of women who kept ovaries did seem to have premature shut down within 5 years of hyst. But.............please discuss your concerns with your Dr. He/she should be more than happy to give you answers. I don't know for sure but seemed to have short shut down after hyst myself and did quite a weepy creepy thing for a while, maybe ovaries may have been my sweet dog dying. Can't say for sure under the circumstances.
Please feel free to email me if you think I can help you. Good luck and God Bless. Keep checking this site as about 99% of my pre-op questions were answered here without me even having to ask them myself.
God Bless. Julie T.
Unread 03-24-2002, 07:47 PM
ovary to be or not to be

Dear Julie B,
I'd be curious to see more data on ovarian survival or failure. Certainly there are many variables, a few of which might be:

Skill & experience of surgeon
Type of surgery & how invasive
Health of ovaries at time of hyst.
Overall health

I for one really wanted to keep an ovary and I was very fortunate that one was healthy.

I was glad to know my GYN was experienced, having performed over 2000 hysts and had an excellent reputation as a laparoscopic surgeon.

I felt that LAVH would be less disruptive to my innards--don't know if it's true but read somewhere carbon dioxide used in LAVH is less irritating to one's innards than having them exposed to oxygen in the air during TAH.

So far I'm feeling good, knock on wood. Had a couple nights of warm flashes last week but not any in the past several days. Too early yet to know my outcome but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck, whatever you decide is best for you.
Unread 03-25-2002, 06:11 AM
Ovarian failure, POST HYST? Question

I work in a medical center and asked a lot of women about this. I could have kept one of my ovaries and was making the decision whether or not to do so. ALL the women I talked to that had kept at least one ovary experienced ovarian failure, if not right away, within a year following the surgery. I think those 50/50 statistics are immediately post surgery. I'd like to see what they are 1-2 years post-surgery. In my case (I'm 44), I decided it would happen soon anyway as I was experiencing perimenopause symptoms. And besides, why leave something in there to just get cancer if it was going to be useless soon anyway. It turned out that the "good" ovary was "all shriveled up" and would have failed within months anyway, so for me it was the right decision to have it removed. These ladies are right, there is no way of knowing, but in my non-medical opinion, it appears that ovaries fail after a hysterectomy sooner than if a woman had not had one. I've read that the failure may be related to the loss of the blood supply the ovaries used to get from the uterus.
Unread 03-25-2002, 06:38 AM
Yikes

Geez, the thought of ov. failure so soon is scarey. I was hoping I'd have at least 10 years since I'm only 31, TVH March 02, guess ya never know. Have had symptoms, hoping all will return to normal. Will have gyn check hormones at 4 week check. Thanks for input, at least have something to go on.
Julie T.
Unread 03-25-2002, 12:12 PM
old but maybe Not useless

In one case I know of...
A menopausal friend of my Mom's had a hysterectomy w/BSO last year for a tumor that was found to be benign. Since then, she's been suffering greatly from hot flashes and insists she never had them prior to the surgery--even when she went through natural menopause many years ago.

Granted she is 70, but I have no reason to think she may have forgotten what her menopause was like!

Seems like I have read elsewhere that retired ovaries may continue to produce small amounts of estrogen, as can adrenal glands and body fat.
Unread 03-25-2002, 12:45 PM
Wanted to add

I also wanted to add "my X mother inlaw" She is still one of my best friends. She had a hyster in 1990. That is 12 years. She kept her ovaries and is now 44 years old. Her ovaries are still functioning. At age 44 she is just now starting to feel some perimenopausal symptoms. That is 12 years so far. It helped me stay optimistic

I realise that this is not the case always. Howver it does happen

Michele

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register