Anyone have a vertical incision? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have a vertical incision? Anyone have a vertical incision?

Unread 03-23-2002, 03:12 PM
Anyone have a vertical incision?

I am having a total hysterectomy 4/1 and doc will go over my existing vertical incision (from belly button down to hair line). My other surgery was 26 years ago when I was just a young woman and I can't remember much about the pain and recovery... not that it would be the same now that I am older.

I am 46. I have a large dermoid on my remaining (l) ovary and a (hopefully) fibroid tumor growing outside of uterus, causing all sorts of troubles.

Please advise on the recovery for this type of incision.

Thank you,
tgt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2002, 03:22 PM

I had my hyst when I was 52 and the dr. used a vertical incision. It was closed with staples (19 of them). After a week or so, the pain from the incision was pretty much gone. Once the staples were removed, I was much more comfortable. The incision healed nicely and I have a faint pink scar now.

The recovery from this type of incision isn't much different from any other. I kept my incision clean and dry, and had no problems with it.
Unread 03-23-2002, 03:25 PM

Hi There!

I didn't have a prior incision, but my incision was vertical. I don't think recovery time or experience is much different if at all than that of a horizontal or bikini incision. (I can't be sure, because I have not had the other type)

Recovery time is not really based on the incision, but what needs to be done inside. I think, no matter, it takes 6 - 8 weeks for initial recovery, before the DR typically clears us to begin gradually resuming normal activities.

At one week post op, the DR removed the staples and replaced them with steri-strips which stayed on for a little over a week (DR instructed me to just let them peel off on their own). It's important to get very specific post op instructions from your DR so that you will know what to expect and how to care for yourself and your incision once you are home from the castle.

My incision was the least of my concerns - it was the healing inside that was most prevalent - I did feel my surgery, so to speak, and had to take it pretty easy on myself for several weeks.

Best wishes to you! Keep reading here and sharing!

HUGS,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2002, 10:20 AM

I have found the vertical incision to be much easier than the horizontal. I expected much difficulty the first time I stood up post-op because of my prior incision. To my surprise, it was much easier to stand and less painful than the horizontal. NOw 5 weeks post op, I have complete feeling on both sides of my incision. This is unlike my horizontal which was over 2 years ago and there are still some numb areas. I guess it just depends but I wish I had gone vertical the first time.
Unread 03-26-2002, 12:25 PM

I had a vertical incision and recovered very quickly - was okayed for all activity at 4 1/2 weeks. By 6 weeks, could lift my 50 pound daughter.
Unread 03-28-2002, 09:00 AM
My 2nd vertical incision

I am 8 days post op and can tell you that a vertical incision is not that difficult with a TAH, or at least for me. Almost 7 years ago, I had a c-section with a veritcal scar and the healing was so hard. I thought it was because of the incision and staples, but afterward, I found out that some muscles had to be cut to get to the baby and that was the pain that was causing me difficulties. However, with my TAH on 3/20, it was nothing at all compared to that. I was up and walking with no problems what-so-ever. The day before I had my staples removed was the worst and it was only pinching pain from the staples pulling. I got them out yesterday and got the steri-strips which have provided much support.

I cannot compare it to a horizontal, but I have heard it is easier on you. I'm not so sure. It is probably about the same for each. Just take care of yourself, keep the area clean and dry, and I think you will be just fine.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register