vaginal vs abdominal | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vaginal vs abdominal vaginal vs abdominal

Unread 03-23-2002, 08:38 PM
vaginal vs abdominal

ok, who has had vaginal and who has had abdominal? How were you feeling after your surgeries? I am guessing from experience and what I have read that vaginal hysterectemies are easier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2002, 08:39 PM
vaginal vs abdominal

excuse the spelling in the above post, please!
Unread 03-23-2002, 09:52 PM
vaginal vs abdominal

I had a LAVH on 2/25/02. I can tell you after the first week, I have been feeling pretty good. Other than this insomnia! I still get tired pretty easy, but I am sure that is from lack of sleep! On the whole I feel really good.
I had a c-section in 1998 and I can tell you, I feel A LOT better now than what I did then. I was still a little sore at 4 weeks and gas, coughing, laughing, anything using the abs was a lot more painful.
Good luck in your decision.
Susie in Iowa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2002, 05:43 AM
vaginal vs abdominal

I had a TAH with a horizonatl incision.

My recovery wasn't the norm...I heal very quickly.

The day after surgery I was walking the halls. I went home the next day.

The first week I was tired, had no pain, just sat around and watched movies. Walked around the house, drank water, ate 3 square meals a day.

The second week I had more energy as I was given a RX by my doc to help me sleep.

I'm starting my third week of post-op and I feel tons better than I did last year! I had 18 months of irregular bleeding, cramps, etc.

This is not your typical recovery, but I feel wonderful!!

Sara
Unread 03-24-2002, 05:48 AM
Hello

I had TAH in September. I did great right from the beginning. I was really worried about that as I had never had abdominal surgery before! Each person is different. My Dr never gave me a choice he only does them abdominally. No problems for me.

Good luck with your decision

Unread 03-24-2002, 05:55 AM
vaginal vs abdominal

I had a TVH and this does not feel any diferent than having a baby delviered that way it is sore alittle bit the worst thing about this for me is having this catheder in
s ladypeewee
Unread 03-24-2002, 06:01 AM
vaginal vs abdominal

I had a TVH-BSO in Jan. My uterus was very enlarged so I had a lot of swelling, like after delivery of a baby. Whatever procedure you choose, remember that the damage done inside is the same with either procedure, the approach is different. I was home 36 hours after surgery and did very well. I think I felt so good because I had been feeling rotten for so long. So glad I had it done!

Unread 03-24-2002, 06:33 AM
vaginal vs abdominal

Mine was TAH. I discussed the TAH vs TVH with my Dr. (one of the 33 questions I took to my pre-op appt). She told me that because of the endo, she needed to do the TAH in order to "see" everything and be sure she got it all. My recovery has gone very well. The hardest part was to stay down. My Dr. released me for intimate relations and returning to work at six weeks. I still get the swelly belly in the afternoon, I just take it as a sign to put my feet up and rest.

Best wishes for you,
Linda
Unread 03-24-2002, 07:27 AM
vaginal vs abdominal

I had TVH a week ago and have been feeling great. That is why I posted the question, just wanted to get an idea of how the healing was for ab vs vaginal.
Unread 03-24-2002, 11:15 AM
vaginal vs abdominal

I had a TVH with rectocele repair, but was originally scheduled for a TAH with rectocele repair. Therefore, I got all the info for the planned TAH and, of course, all of the info for the TVH I ended up with.

I was very surprised when my ob/gyn told me that I still had pretty much the same restrictions that he had told me I would have for the TAH. He explained that, even though it was easier initially, because I didn't have the incision to deal with, ultimately, I had all the same internal stitches to recover from. Hence, I had the same restrictions.

Now, I know that my experience isn't the norm: I overdid it big time in the first 2 weeks, because it was X-Mas time and because I was amazed at how great I felt. It's not very surprising that I also ended up paying for it big time with a slightly longer recovery than the norm.

What I found, though, from the messages I read about on this site, was that, ultimately, the recovery was about the same for those of us who had a TAH or a TVH.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register