Shower after surgery | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Shower after surgery Shower after surgery

Unread 03-24-2002, 02:21 AM
Shower after surgery

Just wondering when you can usually take a shower after surgery. Should I take blow dryer/curling iron to the hospital? I always feel so good after shower and hair done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2002, 04:32 AM
Shower after surgery

I had a vertical incision with steristrips and was out of surgery at 3:30P on a Friday. By 9A Saturday morning the nurse said, ok it's time to take a shower. There was a chair in the shower and she helped me to sit in it. I did not feel up to washing my hair yet, but by Sunday morning I was able to stand and wash my hair. I could care less what my hair looked like in the hospital, but if it makes you feel good to do your hair I don't see why not.

Everybody recovers at a different rate. Despite big blood loss, I had an excellent recovery. I don't know that most people would feel as well as I did, or want to be on their feet that long.
Unread 03-24-2002, 04:49 AM
Shower after surgery

Hi
I had my TAH on Tuesday and was in the shower on Wednesday afternoon. I stood and washed my hair...I even blew dry it by myself. I have super short hair so it wasn't all that difficult.
I have taken a shower everyday since my surgery and washed my hair. As far as the incision..the first couple of showers, my doc said just let the soapy water run over it and don't wash it with hands, washcloth etc. I am on day 13 and now I gently soap it up with my hands. I have been very fortunate with no complications in the incision area.
Taking the first shower felt like heaven to me!!
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2002, 05:11 AM
Shower after surgery

My own experience - I was too unsteady the day after surgery for a shower. The next day (day I went home) walking was ok but trying to stand for the short amount of time required for a shower was very tough. There was no way I would have been able to stand in front of a mirror with a hair dryer and curling iron.

The day after surgery you won't care about doing your hair, if you take a shower all you're going to feel like doing after is getting right back to bed, wet hair and all. A shower is a major activity. Standing still is a lot harder than walking.

You will probably go home the next day, unless there's some medical reason why they have to keep you for another night.

I took as little to the hosp as I absolutely had to, and even then didn't need or want much of what I did take, except the chapstick!
Unread 03-24-2002, 05:38 AM
Shower after surgery

I had a SAH at 8am on Thurs and by mid-day Fri I felt like taking a shower and putting on my own jammies. They had a chair in there for me, but I didn't use it to sit on, I used it to put my soap, shampoo, etc. on. I thought taking a shower would be difficult, but it wasn't. My hospital didn't supply a hair dryer, so I would recommend either taking one or calling the hospital ahead of time to see if they have one. Best of luck to you!
JuneBug
Unread 03-24-2002, 05:48 AM
Shower after surgery

I showered the next moring didn't was my hair just didn't feel up to it but had washed my hair the moring of my surgery so the hair was not to bad I put on my on gown too my nurse just took the I V and stuck it through the arm hole of my gown and wal la I had my gown on for my walks I got my house coat and cut a hole in the pocket for the hook on the catheder bag so I could hang the bag inside of the housecoat and I could walk up and down the hall and noone could see it
hugs ladypeewee
Unread 03-24-2002, 02:37 PM
Shower after surgery

Hi, Rose -

Like most of the others, I had surgery Monday morning, took a shower/washed my hair about noon Tuesday. I did use the chair the first few days, but only because I wanted to wash my legs and feet, and didn't want to bend over to do so - I didn't need it for support. If you are someone who washes their hair daily and uses a hair drier at home, I'd definitely recommend bringing one. I had a small folding one that I use for travel - a bit less powerful than my one at home, but lightweight and easy to pack.
Unread 03-24-2002, 03:18 PM
Shower after surgery

Be sure to check with your hospital before taking a blow dryer or curling iron. I had my pre-op with dr and the instructions from the hospital said "no electrical appliances- including hair dryer." I, too, feel so much better with my hair done. I have pre-op at the castle tomorrow and plan to ask how firm they are on that rule.
Unread 03-24-2002, 03:23 PM
Shower after surgery

Hi, I had surgery on Monday afternoon and when the nurse came in and MADE me take a shower ( I was ticked at her big time!!!) I reluctantly (spelling) took one. That was Tuesday morning. OMIGOD I did not enjoy that at all. I did wash my hair cuz it was all matted to my head LOL. I put in a TON of conditioner so I would be able to get a comb through it afterwards. I got out of shower and practically crawled back to my bed. It was hard to stand just that short time. Actually they wanted me to sit in the chair instead of getting back into bed ... I did what they said ... sat in the chair for about 30 seconds, looked at them (nurses) and said ok ... I sat in the chair now please help me back into bed!!!!!!!!!! So as for me ... the curling iron and blow dryer I brought with sat in my bag until I got back home LOL. I always say I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I would bring it with you and if you use it great and if not, nothing lost. Goodluck!!!
Unread 03-24-2002, 04:53 PM
Shower after surgery

I showered and washed my hair the night before surgery. I don't wash my hair every day - it's usually every other or every third day, as it gets really damaged with more showering. I had surgery Thursday morning, and went home from the hospital Saturday morning. I didn't feel at all like showering until Saturday afternoon, and didn't have a problem standing in the shower for a few minutes, but for the first week or so only showered when someone was home and available for help if I had a problem - I didn't have any. Didn't feel up to showering long enough to wash my hair - it's longish and takes a little longer to rinse out, and was having major problems with a really sore shoulder, so I couldn't raise my arms above my head very well. I did find that it was easy for me to lean over the kitchen sink for long enough to shampoo though - we have a deep kitchen sink, and a sprayer, so it was easiest to shampoo in the kitchen sink for the first week.

As far as washing the incision, for the first week or so I didn't really wash it - I just let the water run over it for a while. We have one of those shower heads that's on a flexible thingy - you can position the shower head anywhere within about 3 feet of the actual pipe, so I found that if I put the shower head all the way down, pointing at my belly and let the warm water spray directly on it - not a hard spray - it felt so good. I like the water pretty hot, so I made it as hot as was comfortable and stood there with the water gently massaging my incision - it felt really good. The doctor was really impressed with how well my incision healed, and I think the warm water therapy was really helpful.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register