Ready to Go... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ready to Go... Ready to Go...

Unread 03-24-2002, 10:21 AM
Ready to Go...

I am scheduled for my TAH on April 9. Found the site surfing for information on fibroids and TAH. Since then, I have been reading the messages boards and found lots of really useful information. Thanks everyone!!! :angel:

I think the biggest help has been knowing that other women are having the same problems and that it is NOT all in my head as my doc seems to think. I finally got her to refer me to a OB/GYN and he scheduled the surgery within 30 minutes of seeing me for the first time (very big fibroids). I would think that my family history (mom had TAH for fibroids at 36 and twin sister at 30 for endo; I'm 41) would be a clue that something was not right. Periods were like clockwork for 28 years and then 3 years ago everything went haywire. My reg doc suggested herbal hormones at first to help regulate mood swings, hot flashes, night sweats, etc. I now know that fibroids need estrogen to grow and I was taking all kinds of estrogen, both herbal and prescription as she thought I was peri-menopausal. I'm thinking it's time to find another primary care doc.

I have my recovery room all ready, nice and clean with lots of natural light, books, and of course, pillows of all shapes and sizes. I even talked the DH into buying a new couch:bgrin:, so that I can have a change of scenery during recovery. The only concern now is can I climb stairs? :confused: Bedroom and bathroom are on the second floor and I am thinking climbing up and down the stairs is going to be difficult. Any thoughts would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2002, 12:56 PM
Ready to Go...

Hi, Judy -

There sure is a wealth of information here!

I didn't have to climb stairs, but I know others have done so, and know that you want to take it slowly and hold on something when you do. Please talk to your doctor about possible restrictions in terms of how often you should go up and down per day at first.

I can tell you that you want to be doing some walking around and drinking a LOT of fluids, which means you'll need to be near that bathroom! I would personally opt to be on the same floor as the bathroom, at least for the first few days, most of the time.
Unread 03-24-2002, 02:24 PM
Ready to Go...

Hi Judy,
Alisa is right ... you need to drink lots of water and fluids when you get home and you need to be able to get to the bathroom as easily as possible. If your only bathroom is on the second floor, you will need to spend most of your time there for at least a few days. I had a TAH/BSO and was allowed to do the steps a couple of times a day right from the beginning, but not all doctors give the same orders. Be sure to ask your gyn what he/she recommends and then follow the advice. We have a bathroom on the first floor too, so that was a good thing.

Best of luck, Judy. Be sure to look for posts from MoJo ... she is having surgery on April 9th too!

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2002, 03:03 PM
Ready to Go...

Hi Judy ... My Dr. said I could go downstairs in the morning and back up to bed at night but that was it .... two times a day no more for the first two weeks. If your only bathroom is on the upper floor, then get comfy in the bedroom for awhile. Also, ask your Dr. as everyone is different. That is just what mine told me. Good luck with your surgery and recovery.
Unread 03-24-2002, 03:42 PM
Ready to Go...

Judy,

It is sooooo nice to hear your story. I went through the same thing with the doctor and thought that I would never get to the right obgyn. I got the right one and just like you minutes later he told me the great news of getting better. I am having my surgery on April 3rd. I also have fiborids. Very large also. I will write and let you know how it went.

Laura
Unread 03-24-2002, 04:24 PM
Ready to Go...

Judy -

Congratulations on finding this site BEFORE your surgery. I found it after and will recommend it to any woman for support before, during & after. Isn't it great to know that you're not alone?

I'm glad your DH is so supportive. Mine is great usually, except that now that I'm pretty much back on my feet, he thinks life is all normal. (Sorry to inform him -- swelly belly is a fact of life still.) I keep reminding him, but I think he thinks I'm milking this for all it's worth! I know that at the 6-week mark he'll turn up the pressure.

In my case, I two round-trips upstairs the first day home (3rd day post-surgery) holding the railing and helping pull myself up with it all the way. It took me 10 minutes to do 13 steps, but I was still shaky and really didn't want to push it. The next day was 3 or 4 trips, still slow. (Then again, we have a toilet on both floors.) It all depends on your dr. and how you feel when you get home. Do you know anyone with a "potty chair" to borrow just in case? (Sorry, just being realistic....)

I'll say a prayer for you.
Unread 03-24-2002, 09:01 PM
Ready to Go...

Hi Judy,

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to Hystersisters. It is such a wonderful site. I have been helped so much by the sisters. I am also having surgery on the 9th of April. I don't have any words of advice on your question, but wish you the best. Keep posting. I am a quite a bit older than you (54) but maybe we can keep each other going these next two weeks. I would love to hear from you.

Best WIshes adn s.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register