why does this surgery scare me - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

why does this surgery scare me why does this surgery scare me

Unread 03-25-2002, 11:28 AM
why does this surgery scare me

Before the surgery, I was scared that I'd wake up as someone else -- that somehow, my identity was housed in my uterus, and without it, I wouldn't even know myself.

I can tell you that didn't happen. I am exactly the same person I was 2 weeks ago. Not sure if this is part of your fear, but I thought I'd share just in case.

Good luck!

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 11:51 AM
Waiting is the worst

Greetings from Tennessee!
I am 13 days post and can speak from experience that the waiting is the worst part. I struggled with the decision to have this surgery for 6 years. I am only 32 years old and have one child but the finality was the hardest for me to overcome.

So far, I feel great, the recovery was much easier than I anticipated and I feel so much better already. The chat room has helped me so much as I have developed insomnia. This sight and the women here are just wonderful. Hope this finds you well and best of luck to you!

Love and Hugs,

Moe
Unread 03-25-2002, 01:02 PM

We are all in the same boat. I also work in the medical field. I have had other surgeries that did not concern me. I am so nervous I am about ready to jump out of my skin. I am physically very ready for this surgery on Wednesday but emotionally I am not even close. I will be thinking about you on our day. Take Care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 01:35 PM

Connie,

I am scared too, I asked my doctor for some zanex to help me relax for a few days before the surgery. She hasn't answered me yet.

I know we can both do this, we've already had major surgeries and here we are again. Hopefully this will be our last time. I will be thinking of you on Wednesday. I will cry for both of us - since that is what I do most of lately. Paula
Unread 03-25-2002, 06:45 PM
scared

The Hyster-Sister and related sites are so wonderful. I really feel the support. It is not just a "misery loves company" type of site. It is sisters truly caring and comforting others. I am so glad I found the site. I missed my call from my doctor's office today. They were to tell me the exact day of my surgery. I'll call tomorrow for it. I know as the days tick away, I will visit the site more often. It is a comfort to know someone will be there.

Fayrskye
Unread 03-25-2002, 06:52 PM

Hi Fayrskye,
So glad you found us

Sorry to hear you missed the call from your doc's office. I was going crazy waiting for that call when I was a LIW last fall. It took about two weeks from the time I saw my gyn and said, "okay, let's do it," until they finally gave me my date.

Hope you get in touch with them tomorrow. Meanwhile, keep reading and posting and we'll be here for you every step of the way.

Beth
Unread 03-26-2002, 09:23 PM

Got my date today - May 14, 2002, 7am. Of course they want me to arrive at 5 am. It probably won't hit me until the last minute. I have the following schedule at that time:

Pre-op testing - May 2
A final - May 3
Pre-op Dr Visit - May 3
Another final - May 6
Business trip - May 7th thru 9th

I'd better start cleaning the house soon. Thanks for writing.
Fayrskye
Unread 03-27-2002, 06:51 PM

Hi Fayrskye,
Glad to hear you got your date. And 7 am sounds good to me ... my surgery was not until 2 pm and it was hard getting through the morning without coffee, water, food, etc.!! You won't even be awake yet!

Your schedule sounds pretty horrendous, but the good thing is you'll be so busy right up to surgery that you won't have as much time to worry. Sometimes being busy like that is a good thing.

Hang in there. May 14th seems like a long way off, but it will be here before you know it. We're here for you!

Beth
Unread 04-06-2002, 06:58 AM
Why does this surgey scare me...

Thanks Beth for your reply. I think you are right. I am so busy I don't get much time to think about it. The only bad thing is I'm not getting too much time to prepare either. My daughter-in-law and I did shop for some nice gowns and lounge wear. That was fun. My best friend and my husband has spent the last two Saturdays helping me to spring clean the house. I'm throwing out things from yester year. This project should have been done last year or before that. You can kind of hide things when people visit and you are up and about. But when you are recuperating and can't get around as much, and people stop in to visit, they tend to find all your little hiding places. They see things you have just been closing the door on, due to a full school schedule and full work schedule. So my girlfriend and my husband are helping me put things in order so that I won't have to worry about it. You know how us girls are. We want to pass inspection when people stop in.
Thanks so much for your support. I have got to learn how to put those cut little things in my messages, like the "hugs" you sent to me.

Fayrskye

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register