One more day, then off to the Castle! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One more day, then off to the Castle! One more day, then off to the Castle!

Unread 03-24-2002, 09:37 PM
One more day, then off to the Castle!

Hello!

Well, as my topic states, I have only one more day to go before I'm at the castle. Am I scared? Obviously, yes! Although I'm kind of getting tired of people telling me that I'll be fine, I'm sure it's what I need to hear the most. It's strange though, I'm really not scared about any one thing in particular. I'm having a TAH-BSO on 3/26 because I have endo and adeno. I've spent years and years in pain. I think it started back in the late '80's or early '90's. All the pain started. I was at the ER five times from 1992 to now just to get some relief. Most of that time, I didn't have any medical insurance, so I just kept putting off going to the doctor. This past November, I went to my GYN for my annual check up and just about hit the ceiling when she pushed on my uterous. Since I finally had ins. I decided that it's time to look into the problem once and for all. I had exploratory surgery in Jan. and my DD found out I have severe endo, adeno, and a golf ball size syst on my right overy. He started talking about different types of treatments and surgery. I thought about it a little while and saw him again and told him I just wanted the surgery and be done with it. We discussed the pro's and con's about surgery. He was very informative. Someone from his office called me from his office two days later and we started setting everything up. I went to the American Red Cross and donated a pint of my own blood. Just incase! Most likely won't need it though. But I'd rather be safe than sorry. On 3/21I went to the grocery store and stocked up on food that my daughters can make that are pretty easy to prepare. I went in for pre-admit testing on 3/22 and 3/24 was my last day of work for a little while. Today, I finished up laundry and cleaned the house really good. There is no significant other, so almost everything will be in my daughters hands (16 and 19)for a couple of weeks. I think that's what I'm most afraid of! lol No, I'm just kidding, they're great! Oh, and I started my period yesterday! It's a bad one, which is actually good. One day before surgery and I'm reminded of exactly why I'm doing this. I really want to thank you for the support and information I've found on this site. It is a really wonderful site. Well, I'm going to go now and start packing my bag. To anyone who is reading this who is scheduled for 3/26 surgery, good luck to you. We're all going to be fine!

Shari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2002, 09:47 PM

Hi, Shari -

It's weird that a lot of us get our last period just as we're going into surgery! And fun to have it cut short, wake up post-op to realize..hey - that's the last one!

Sounds like you're really well prepared! My mom had a hysterectomy when I was around 17 or so, and I was the only one at home to take care of her - I remember reading Winnie the Pooh stories to her like she'd done for me when I was little and sick :-). It was a long time ago, but I remember it worked out well, and it sounds like your 2 will be a wonderful help for you.

Remember all the post-op lessons of rest, walk, and drink :-)

Oh, yeah - I almost forgot - You'll be just fine :->
Unread 03-24-2002, 09:49 PM

Shari, good luck at the castle!!

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 03:12 AM

I too will be going to the castle tomorrow. Yes i'm scared but I know I will make it through. Everyone here has been so wonderful. God Bless all you wonderful . I guess my worse fear is that I will not make it home for Easter with my DH & DS's. I have a few last minute things to do today which will help the day go by faster. Good luck to all those going to the castle tomorrow. May God be at your sides and guiding the surgereons hands.:

Angelindisguise

PS. I too got my period yesterday..and a painful one to boot.
Unread 03-25-2002, 05:00 AM
Me too!

Also going in tomorrow, ran around like crazy this weekend...cleaning, stocking the freezer and taking care of other items on my list! Have bag packed and ready to go...have to be at castle at 5:30 in the morning, so at least I won't have time to sit and worry about things in the morning! Good luck to the other LIW going in tomorrow and this week....we'll compare notes afterwards!
Unread 03-25-2002, 05:47 AM

Isn't that funny, I'm having surgery on 4/3 and getting my period this week!! Thinking those positive thoughts for you having surgery this week. I'll see you on the "other" side when we are all a rincess:
Unread 03-25-2002, 05:50 AM

Hmmm....my first time with the smilies...did not get the princess. I'll try again! LOL

to be!
Unread 03-25-2002, 06:10 AM
Hang in there!

Hey Ladies.

Had my TAH/BSO on 3/18 and I was also on my period when I went into surgery. Good thing about it is you won't be when you wake up! You will have some spotting, but nothing like your period! I had to do a bowel prep before surgery and believe it or not, I was bleeding from both ends! Soon you will be a princess and the castle will pamper you until you get home! Hang in there. I feel fairly good. Just fustrated because I wanna get up and get around better. I just know that It WILL be better. Good luck with your surgery and remember to eat, drink lots and rest! The pillow will be watching you!

((((Chery))))
Unread 03-25-2002, 07:03 AM
Well wishes

Shari:
Sounds like you've got your act together! I am starting to get myself organized for my surgery (4/23/02 - TAH/BSO). I got a little pillow for $1.99 this weekend in anticipation of the incision! Going to buy some extra big jammies and sweat pants too. Make some frozen eats for DH and buy some soups, jello etc. for my planned return.

Isn't it great to know that you won't have to suffer anymore with the period pain? I bought my last box of tampons and pads in anticipation of my last one prior to surgery. Can't wait to be done with them!

Want to wish you well from a "neighbor" down Rt. 82! Let us know how it goes!
Unread 03-25-2002, 07:19 AM
Me too

Hi Shari,
Just wanted to tell you I am in the same boat with you. I have a 15 yr old dsughter(who is a slob!)and noone else.vMy biggest concern is coming home and not being able to do anything and having to depend on her for help. Hopefully she will come through! I'm tired of hearing how it's going to be fine cuz I know it's going to be a lot better than all of the pain and the mess i have been going through.
Well, I have to go finish my laundry and clean boxes (eww!) and pack! I have to be at the casltle at 4:30am. I wish you (and all others) the best and a comfortable recovery! see you on the other side.
Nancy

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register