stairs or no stairs | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stairs or no stairs stairs or no stairs

Unread 03-25-2002, 07:39 AM
stairs or no stairs

I live alone and after my surgery (April 16th) I plan to come home as soon as possible. I have a couple of steps that separate my living room and bedroom from the other part of the house (bath, kitchen, back door where everyone will knock!) and I wonder if that will prove to be a problem. I know it's not a big set of stairs, but it means every time I need to go to the bathroom or want something to eat or drink, I'll be going up and down a couple of steps, so over the course of the day, it could be a lot of stepping up (not so worried about the down steps!). Will this be a problem, you think? I'm not sure there is anything I can do differently, except maybe not come immediately home but stay with my mom or sister for a couple of days (I just rest so much better in my own home!). Any suggestions? Has anyone else found a couple of steps to be or not be a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 08:13 AM
Steps were no problem for me

Everyone is different. By "a few steps" how many do you mean? If it's only 2 or 3, I think as long as you take it slowly, maybe supporting yourself with hand railing or doing it like little kids do - both feet on each step, you should be OK.

I live in a 2-story home and did all the steps on my 3rd day post-op. I had no problem at all with steps, but I've heard otherwise from others. Age, weight and physical shape (or you an exerciser?) have a lot to do with how well you'll handle the steps, as well as general recovery time.

Good luck.
Unread 03-25-2002, 08:34 AM
stairs or no stairs

Hi Melsevene,
I am 2wks post-op. I came home,3 days post-op, to a full flight of stairs. After entering my home, there is the foyer, but I had to go up the flight of stairs to get to the rest of the home (everything). It was not hard, I took each step one foot at a time, little kid style. However, we are all different at what could be a problem. You may want to set up an area where you may stay most of the time. Have snacks and plenty of water/liquid (ice chest), reading things,etc. in that area. This may at least help going to the kitchen too often. Remember to ask your dr. if you will be restricted from using any steps. If you are slow and careful and use the handrail or wall, I would'nt think it would present too much of a problem for you. I wish you well with your surgery and recovery.

Bridgette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 08:42 AM
stairs or no stairs

I too was wondering about the stairs...just porch steps to get into the house, but the bathroom and bedroom are on the second floor. I have a friend who lives around the corner; I thought I would have my mom, who is coming to stay with me, drive me there for during the day because bathroom/family room etc. are all on one floor, but then wondered if the ride would be worse than the steps!!

Just have to wait and see I guess!
Unread 03-25-2002, 11:20 AM
stairs or no stairs

It's pretty individual. I was really worried about getting up the stairs to my recovery room, but it turned out to be just fine; I just took it slow. If your legs are strong, you may not have any trouble.

I imagine just a couple of steps wouldn't be a big problem.

Melissa
Unread 03-25-2002, 11:48 AM
stairs or no stairs

I came home two days post op and much to my delight was able to climb the stairs without problem. Again today I have gone up to my computer and really not found the stairs a major problem. I have an abdominal incision and the staples are still in. My gyn said it was up to how I felt, as I exercised regularly up to the day prior to surgery I think this had made things easier.

Debbie
Unread 03-25-2002, 01:20 PM
stairs or no stairs

This is encouraging. I have about 25 steps to get to our living quarters. I may have to go up them to get into the house. I climb these every day at least 2 or 3 times, plus walk about a mile every day . I hope I can do it.

With spring thaw we may not be able to get my into the back part of our house. We live in a hill and my husband was planning on gettin me up in a borrowed 4 wheel drive.

I do not want to stay at a neighbor's house because she will be having another male friend staying there for awhile while she is gone.
Unread 03-26-2002, 06:28 PM
steps no problem for me

I had also heard that steps were a problem, but I came home after 2 days, and never had any problem. I took it slow, but felt no discomfort at all - and within a few days had to keep myself from skipping down them - don't want people to see that and think I'm 100%!

I must confess that I'm way overweight - finally able to make some progress losing it - and not the least bit in shape. The steps weren't any problem at all.
Unread 03-26-2002, 07:31 PM
Stairs or no stairs

Melsevene
I came home 4 days after surgery. I have 3 steps to get into my house, and it didn't prove to be a problem, just took it nice and easy, 1 foot at a time. I am now 3 weeks post op and am now driving, a little shopping, but can't lift anything heavy, and going in and out of my house maybe twice a day, still taking it easy though. I feel if you do it slow and easy, it should be ok.
Hope things go well.
Moderngirl
Unread 03-26-2002, 10:59 PM
stairs or no stairs

Hi Mel,

I have fifteen steps up to my apartment, which is on the second floor of my building. I came home three days post-op and I took the stairs very slowly and carefully, and they were no problem! Yesterday and today, I have gone downstairs to greet my daughter when she came home from her day program, and of course I went back up too. I just took them slowly, and I made sure I got on the sofa and put my feet up for a while afterwards.

If you feel unsteady, do what some of the other ladies said, hang on to the railing and take the steps with two feet on each one. That's how I did it the first time.

Take care, everything will work out just fine.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register