Swelly Belly/ Fat Clothes | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelly Belly/ Fat Clothes Swelly Belly/ Fat Clothes

Unread 03-25-2002, 08:56 AM
Swelly Belly/ Fat Clothes

Hi Everyone,

My TAH is in 2 weeks and I’m going shopping tomorrow for pjs and and other comfy stuff. I already have some loose fitting pj bottoms with elastic waist, but I keep hearing the drawstring our better. Also, I have shorts that are about 2 sizes too big that zip and button. If they are loose enough, will I be comfortable in them? Part of me feels like I would feel better dressed in the drawstring shorts and pants because they are closer to the right size. I don’t want to go overboard on new clothes since I will not be getting paid during my recovery period, but I also want to look good. What clothing is best for post-op princesses?

Thanks so much!!
Susan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 09:07 AM

HI MY:2cents
AROUND THE HOUSE I WORE MY HUBBY`S SWEATS FOR FIRST TWO WEEKS THEN MY OWN NOTHING TIGHT TO MY TUMMY WHEN I WENT OUT. I WORE DRESSES AND SKIRTS . I DIDN`T BUY ANY NEW CLOTHES COZ I HAD SOME THINGS THAT WERE EITHER LOOSE OR DRESSES WITH NO WAIST. WORE MY LOOSEST BLU JEANS AT 3 WEEKS POST-OP.I WOULD NOT ADVISE MUCH IN THE WAY OF NEW CLOTHES OR IF YOU REALLY NEED SOME TRY SALVATION ARMY OR A THRIFT STORE I HAVE FOUND SOME REALLY NICE STUFF THERE.
PAULA
Unread 03-25-2002, 09:17 AM
Hi Susan

I think anything that is loose and of soft material you will be pretty comfortable in. I also used the PJ's with the elastic waist and they worked just fine. Your big shorts might be fine. Just try them when you're ready. If they're not comfortable take them off. You won't want anything that is too tight.
One good thing about being a good is that you will be home resting. Right? So just be comfy and cozy.
The thrift stores or consignment stores are a good idea if you think you need a few more things though.
Wishing you all best for your castle visit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 09:32 AM

I went shopping last week, not for clothes for after the surgery, but it certainly was on my mind while I was shopping. I bought several summer dresses, the straight loose fitting sleeveless dresses with a shirt jacket over it. I figured they will be fine after the surgery, but something I can wear when I get back to my normal size.

Caren
Unread 03-25-2002, 05:53 PM

I lived in loose sweats for the first couple of weeks, or short nightgowns. One thing I did buy which was perfect for those weeks when you're home but not going to work, was a pair of overalls from The Gap. They were VERY loose in front, had lots of pockets so I didn't have to think about a purse (too heavy anyway), and they looked quite presentable for going to the store, out to lunch, or for walks.

They're still comfy and I've gotten alot of use out of them. Other than that the only things I bought was a light robe for the hospital, new slip-on slippers, and a few pairs of the big granny bloomers (high waisted briefs two sizes bigger...WONDERFUL).

I think you're wise not to buy too much....after all, this is temporary!!!

Karen
Unread 03-25-2002, 06:58 PM

I'm having my Radical Hysterectomy next week. Today I picked up some undies 2 sizes bigger and I got a larger sized pair of comfy wide top drawstring sweats with a top. I also ordered two short nighties and two knit pants from OneHanesPlace.com.

I even put a bug in my DH's ear about maybe thinking about getting a combo mom's day/father's day recliner chair.....I'm thinking that will come in handy!!
Unread 03-26-2002, 04:59 PM

Susan -

I lived in drawstring pajama bottoms and tank tops from Old Navy (they're pretty cheap - around $10 a pair for the bottoms and $10 for the tops) -- I wished I had bought more though. I only had 3 pairs and had to do laundry more often than I wished during my recovery period -- I could have used at least 3 more pairs. Even though it was winter here in Boston I wore the tank tops all the time in the house because I was absolutely roasting after my TAH/BSO. At nearly 3 months post-op I'm still not in my regular clothes (some jumpers and skirts - no pants) and I can't wait to peel off my jumpers/skirts after work and put the pajama bottoms on

I went back to work pretty early (3 weeks post-op) and could have used more jumpers for work -- I tried shopping the same week I returned to work and was completely exhausted afterwards.

In retrospect I wish I had bought more clothes before my surgery and I wish I had bought at least one nice thing to wear during my early recovery (I had a PTO meeting 9 days post-op I showed up for in my pajama bottoms and long raincoat - yikes!).

Don't forget to treat yourself to some new undies too!

good luck -

-Leslie
Unread 03-26-2002, 05:28 PM
Oh no not swell belly

I'm already having a hard time with my jeans (uterus is swollen). I didn't think it would take that long to fit into my regular clothes,infact I was counting on being somewhat thinner. ****!

I bought a nightshirt and 2 short nightgowns for my surgery. Maybe I should buy something else, I didn't think I wouldn't fit into any of my clothes. Hmmm, heard of swell belly, just didn't think it would be so bad.

Have you thought about nightshirts,they look kind of like a dressy type of nightgown?

My day is 13 days away, oh boy oh boy........Paula
Unread 03-26-2002, 05:44 PM
swelly belly?

Well I am feeling pretty stupid. I had no idea to expect my stomach to swell.. The more posts I read, the more I realize just how completely unprepared I am for my surgery.. (TAH?) /abdominal and removal of everything/... my surgery was scheduled for yesterday, but has been moved back two weeks because of change in diabetes meds two weeks ago and sugars are still a bit out of control. How long will the swelled stomach last? I have been thinking I would be back to work in 2-3 weeks after surgery. Is that unrealistic? I am going to check out all of the links that were posted. Thank you for making this available. I am really terrified of what is going to happen to me... and trying so hard to not let my family know just how scared I am. I feel like nobody ( in my family) understands all of this. This is my first post.. but trust me,, i will live up to my Chatty name.
Unread 03-26-2002, 07:55 PM

First of all...NOBODY is allowed to feel stupid here...it's a rule we have. Everyone starts out with no information, and we all learn...that's what we're here for!

Let me just say before this takes on mythical proportions...not everyone gets a swelly belly. I didn't. Many people don't! Everyone is different and there is no rule about it, or about how long it will last or how bad it may be.

You will be tender, you will be sore, but no one can predict anything beyond that. It's a good idea to be prepared for the tenderness and possible swelling by having some nice loose comfy clothes available...that's good common sense. But don't assume you'll be walking around looking pregnant or deformed or anything!!!

(but DO buy the bloomers...you'll be very happy you did.)

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register