Spinal vs. general...help!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Spinal vs. general...help!! Spinal vs. general...help!!

Unread 03-25-2002, 09:26 AM
Spinal vs. general...help!!

I know I have seen messages on this before, but not sure where to look. My surgery is coming up on Wednesday and I still need to decide between general or a spinal. From what my doctor tells me, there are big advantages to having the spinal....but I would love to hear from some of you ladies and get your opinion.
Went for my pre-op today and was full of questions. My doctor got a big kick out of me today. I told him about this site and how much it has helped me and he wrote down the addy and is going to check it out! All of you are just wonderful and I have had so many questions answered here and feel alot better for what I have learned here! Just waiting now for it to all be over so I can feel better! Can't wait to get my crown and become a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 09:35 AM
Hi Kim

You will probably get lot's of different opinions here. It sounds as if your doctor might favor the spinal. Have you had a chance to talk to the anesthesiologist yet? Sometimes they call the night before. And often your surgeon and anesthesiologist will confer on what might be best and then discuss it with you.
Baby that I am, I wanted both! I got the general anesthesia only. I had also asked them to put in anti-nausea medication into my IV, which they did. I had no problems with nausea. I was given the push button with the morphine in recovery and that worked very well for me too.
I know many women have been very happy with the spinal as they can avoid the after effects of the general anesthesia. I'm sure you'll have lot's of posts to read through to help you decide.
Good luck.
Unread 03-25-2002, 10:38 AM

Hi, Brwneyez,

I had a TVH/BSO under spinal anesthesia with sedation, and I'd choose spinal anesthesia again. I'd had problems with general anesthesia in the past, and my anesthesiologist recommended the spinal.

In the surgery holding area, the anesthesiologist injected "something to help me relax" into my IV. Next, I woke up in the recovery room. The surgery was finished. My legs were numb from the knee down. By the time I arrived in my room, I was ready to walk.

I don't remember having the spinal catheter placed. I don't remember anything about the surgery. I don't remember having the spinal catheter removed, either. I had no nausea, no headache, no vomiting, and no "strange feelings."

I know that all types of anesthesia have been improved by the medical profession, in the last few years. Some women who had spinal anesthesia years ago, remember having bad headaches afterward. These days, they use a smaller spinal catheter, and headaches are much less common.

Whatever type of anesthesia you choose, you'll probably do fine with it. Good luck with your surgery.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 11:10 AM

I had general, and next time I have a hysterectomy , I'd probably try a spinal plus sedation instead. I like the idea of 24 hours without any pain, plus I always get sick from the general, no matter how much anti-nausea stuff they put in with it. I also had a really sore throat for a couple of days from the breathing tube.

My doc said epidurals (spinals) tend to last longer than general, and she preferred to use the kind of anesthesia that wore off fastest, which made sense to me, so I went with it. General wasn't too bad -- after the sick feeling passed, I was completely fine, and much more alert than anyone expected. I was walking that evening.

I'm sure either choice would work out fine.

Good luck!

Melissa
Unread 03-25-2002, 11:27 AM

Are you having a TAH? I had mine done with a spinal while I was awake. It was not so bad, and I didn't end up getting sick at all like I did for my laporoscopy. Also, they kept in in for a day and I was pain free as well. It was kind of weird being awake for all of that, but I was never in any pain at all. Good luck on your decision!

cyaple
Unread 03-25-2002, 11:28 AM

Hi, Kim - I did spinal with sedation (my doc prefers it) and would do it again in a heartbeat. Click on " read my story" below my name and you can read more about it. I woke with no pain, alert..it was great. Didn't need a morphine pump cause they'd given me morphine with the spinal.

Do talk to an anesthesiologist. They will discuss the risks and advantages of both options.
Unread 03-25-2002, 11:46 AM

I was under the impression that if you had your hyst by laprascope that you had to have general anesthesia. Anyone know if this is true? They are going to start mine as a laproscopic procedure and even try to do my colon removal and resection that way.

If I were having a hyst only and having it abdominally then I personally would definitely ask for the spinal instead of the general. First of all I have a friend who had a TAH/BSO and she had the spinal and she said that it was the best. Secondly, when I was under the general for my lap in 2000 I had a lot of complications from the it. Which has me nervous this time. I have never smoked or anything and when I came out of surgery they said that my lungs were really puny and I developed pluritis 3 days later. Just the back/shoulder pain, the sore throat and anxiety that you get for 2 weeks from the general would be enough for me to choose the spinal. I didn't have a morphine pump with the lap, just pain pills, so maybe the throat and between the shoulder blade pain won't be so bad this time. There are risks with any anesthesia, but in today's world things are so much safer and the risk is minimal. Like some else replied, you will probably do good with either one and only have minimal side effects that go away within days. You, your doctor and anesthesiologist are the best to determine what choice is best for you. If my doctor gave me a choice, I would take the spinal. My opinion only. I think you will do great with whatever you choose and will say a prayer that you will have a smooth recovery. Best wishes.
Unread 03-25-2002, 01:59 PM

Jerianne, I discussed spinal + sedation with my doc, and we had already settled on a LAVH, so I assume it's possible for a laparascopic procedure. She didn't say anything about having to switch to abdominal if I wanted to go with spinal + sedation. Maybe you could ask your doc?

Melissa
Unread 03-25-2002, 02:17 PM

Looks like you have a lot of different opinions. I think a lot of it depends on you and your doc. and your past history. I had a TAH and had the general and was happy with it. No problems to speak of. But, I think it's up to you and the doc. and what you both prefer. It is nice to talk to the anasteh. ahead of time if possible though.

Good luck!
Minette
Unread 03-25-2002, 05:17 PM

I had never had either, so when my doc suggested the epidural, I went for it and I am very glad I did. I will definiately go that route again if I have to have another surgery. You can either be semi awake or they can put you completely out. I was awake when the actual surgery started, but told the anesthesiologist to send me into la la land. It was great. No nausea or gas. I was up walking some that night. The next morning after they disconnected me from my IV and took the cathatur out, I was free to take a shower and walk up and down the halls. I was really glad my doc suggested it and although I dont have anything to compare it to, I was with my husband when he had stomach surgery and he was sick and gassy. I knew I didnt want that! I hope you will make the decision that is right for you!!
Good Luck!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register