exercise afterwards | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

exercise afterwards exercise afterwards

Unread 03-25-2002, 10:48 AM
exercise afterwards

Hello Ladies, it gives me great pleasure to read daily the threads on this website. I have 4 weeks 04/23/02 and counting and it seems tougher to wait everyday.

My question today is about exercising afterwards. My dh and I joined a gym. I have put on about 35 unwanted pounds over the last couple of years. I am cronically plagued with ovarian cycst, endo and extreme abnominal pains topped off with headaches and nausea. Exercising has not been on my mind for a while. My dh and I love the idea of going together he is very supportive and is only maybe 20 lbs over his ideal weight. I am just walking the treadmill right now as many of the other activiities hurt too much. Does anyone know how long it will be before I can do more than just walk the treadmill???? What about light weight lifting. Is there a guideline for this anywhere. The instructor at the gym did say trying to get in better shape before would help my recovery. That is great but I fell like !@@#$$ everyday.

Here's hoping I get to the other side before I get crazy LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 11:28 AM
exercise afterwards

Hello,

I am soon to have a hyst, and was looking for the same thing, exercising, what can I do and can't? And yes being in shape does help recovery alot.

Anyways I was searching and found something right here on hyster sisters FYI.

Here is the link: http://hysteritaville.com/fitness/

Good luck

Lis
rincess:
Unread 03-25-2002, 11:54 AM
exercise afterwards

IF YOU GO TO THE SCROLL DOWN MENU ON THE HYSTER SISTER WEB PAGE FOR LADIES IN WAITING YOU WILL FIND A LIST OF EXCERCISES YOU CAN START AS SOON AS YOU ARE COMFORTABLE AFTER YOUR HYST. I TOOK THEM TO MY DOC PRE-OP FOR HER OK.
THEY HELP YOU FEEL BETTER,HELP WITH GAS AND THE SWELLY BELLY.
PAULA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 12:54 PM
exercise afterwards

I am 6 weeks post-op. My doctor said no exercising for 6 weeks. I went to workout today for the first time. I did a few gentle stretches and 20 minutes on the treadmill. Felt good. I will gradually increase my time and intensity. I did feel tired this afternoon and took a short nap. I have about 30 pounds to lose and now that my surgery and uterus problems are over I am encouraged that I can finally get in better shape. Let us know how everything goes for you.
Unread 03-25-2002, 01:31 PM
exercise afterwards

Achide, thanks for the link. I got some good info there. Nothing speciific but that will be determined by my doctor. I am very thankful for the support on this site. I wish you ladies could make time go by faster (lol)
Unread 03-25-2002, 04:46 PM
exercise afterwards

The exercise thing is a very personal activity, depends on how well you are doing etc. When I would overdo, I would know it the next day and would have to take some time off. Walking was about all I did for three weeks, some upper body stretching but was after 4 weeks before I did any yoga or anything the least bit strenuous. I have a non motorized treadmill, so my doc wanted me to not try that til after 4 weeks, it was not as user friendly as before surgery, but it got better. Make sure that you do not attempt anything without doc knowing about it, there is so much that can happen inside your abdomen that you do not realize! I remember the first time I opened my car door.....what an abdominal pull! Just take it easy, one experiment at a time!

Unread 03-25-2002, 05:22 PM
exercise afterwards

One of our hostesses, fitbug, is a personal trainer...she has put together the information you'll find on Hysteritaville. If you have specific questions, check out her own website:

http://fitbugfitness.homestead.com/fitbugfitness.html

I think you'll find it very interesting and helpful.

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register