Hot Flashes | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-25-2002, 12:53 PM
Hot Flashes

Hello to everyone. I am new to this site, I am scheduled for a abdominal hysterectomy on April 8th at 9:00a.m.. They will be taking my ovaries and hopefully leaving my cervix. I have fibroids and a uterus the size of an 18 week pregancy.

I am the mother of 5 grown children and only my hub and 4 sons live here. They really don't care to discuss my surgery with me. I am getting nervous and weepy. Spend a lot of time in my room alone and I tend to overeat when I'm nervous.

I've had 3 c-sections and one ovarian cyst removed. I know about the smile cut and not looking forward to it. It's those hot flashes that I'm wondering about today. Will they start immediately? When will I get put on hormones? Already had flashes about 10 years ago when I was in my 40's. Thought I was over all this.

That's it for now, thanks so much for listening. Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 01:00 PM
Hot Flashes

Hi Paula,

Great to see you found this site. I found it a great help. I had my TAH/BSO on 2/28. I started on Climara that night. So far I have not had any hot flashes. Talk to your Doctor before the surgery and find out when he is going to start you on HRT.

I also had Fibroids, endo and aendo. As of today I feel great. Hope all goes well for you.

Nancy
Unread 03-25-2002, 01:11 PM
Hot Flashes

Hi. I am 1 week post op and that was my biggest fear of having the surgery. My advise is to talk with your doctor, nurses , when you go for the pre work at the hospital , etc. I was more scared of the menopause symptoms than anything else and I told everyone. I know everyone is different , and HRT is not for everyone , but I had surgery at 8:00 am and by 11:30 am I had a patch on. I kept the patch on for 3 days and then went to oral med. I am happy to say that so far I have not experienced any hot flashes or night sweats yet. The nurse at my pre op visit said that HRT will not start until the day after surgery, but maybe letting my gyn know just how worried I was, she started sooner. And who knows , it may not last , but at least my first week of recovery has been great.
Best Wishes to you.
Terri ( tvh/bso)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 01:22 PM
Hot Flashes

Hi, Paula -

Just wanted to chime in with the others -

Please call your Dr and ask about HRT - every case is different. I was put on a patch in recovery, started pills when it wore off later in the week - it's done the job for me so far.

It's very normal to be scared about this surgery - and many of us react to stress by crying and overeating (I'm one of them). And it's hard for men to understand what we're going through with this. Hang in there!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register