new to group | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-25-2002, 01:45 PM
new to group

Hi all, great website! I am new to the site, just logged in a few days ago, first time writing. I am 29, I am scheduled for TAH and BSO, including cervix, on May 16th. Thanks for all the great tips and hints for pre op and post op, they will come into use soon! Just in the past few days, I have felt alot better that there is alot of people in the same boat as me. I do have a question. If all goes well, would I be able to do something like go to a festival in the 6th week of post op? Just wondering, there is a fun summer festival coming up here, and I would love to go and hang out there for the day, or even half. My Dr is confident everything will go well and I will be the same emotionally as I am now. I have been in menopause for 9 months now, and I am hrt, which I will continue after the surgery. They have found endometriosis and polyps, so with all of the new things going on plus the past history of dysmenorrea, we decided this would be the best route. I am really ready to start living! Glad I have found this site, I hope to find some new friends here!
Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 03:41 PM
new to group

HI Sara!
Welcome! I am pretty new to this site as well. I am hoping to have my surgery as it's scheduled on April 8th but the insurance co is questioning my reasons. UGH!

Like you, I am going to have a TAH but not sure on the whole keep/take ovary thing as I have endo too. Dr says keep, I say take! I have a vacation planned about 6 wks after surgery and was told I should be just fine. Mainly just tired still. Guess I have to wait and see.

I assume your DR agreed with you about the reasons you need this surgery. Mine did as well but for some reason whatever info he sent to the insur co to get approval wasn't enough as they don't have enough medical evidence that I even need this. Can I ask, how did you "prove" that you need surgery? They aren't taking my word obviously and apparently my Dr's info isn't good enough. Sorry to vent...

Anyway, good luck to you! This site has a wealth of great knowledge! I read for 4 days straight! LOL! Take care! KimAZ
Unread 03-25-2002, 04:05 PM
You should be fine

Hi Sara and Kim

Everyone's healing time is different but if your surgery and recovery is uneventful you should be fine at 6 weeks. I had my surgery on 2/11 and returned to work today (6 weeks post-op). I had a TAH/RSO and I feel great. I don't even feel like I had surgery.

Make sure you get plenty of rest and do not overdo it.

Kim -- You didn't mention your age but could that be playing a part in your insurance's denial. A co-worker of mine has the same doctor as I do and the insurance denied her because of her age (she was 29 and I am 38). She had to go through six months of appeals before it was finally approved. If your age isn't a factor, could it be a history problem. My doctor explained it as the insurance company making sure that all other treatment was tried before the hysterectomy. I had two D&Cs, birth control therapy, a hysterescopy (sp?), and an attempted balloon ablation (it didn't happen because of polyps found during the hysterescopy) before my hysterectomy.

Anyway, good luck to both of you.

Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 05:25 PM
new to group

Hi and welcome to the best place around for information, support, and hugs!

I had my TAH/BSO just over one year ago. As the other ladies have said, each of us heals at a different rate...but by your sixth week, you should be well enough for a nice outing like that. I'd just recommend taking frequent breaks to sit down and rest; if you go a bit slower than your normal pace and pay attention to how you feel, you should be fine.

You may find that you tire much more easily, so be aware of it, and make sure the people you go with are also aware that you may need to rest and maybe need to bail out a bit sooner.

Sounds like a fun time! Keep reading, keep posting,and by the time your surgery rolls around, you will be ready!

So glad you are here with us!!

Karen
Unread 03-25-2002, 05:30 PM
Welcome to you!

Hello! We are about the same age...I'm 32. Nice to see you here! I had the following done:
TVH
Anterior and Posterior repair
bladder suspension
rectal repair
tummy tuck
On March 15, 2002
I am still having a lot of swelling and some pain...but I can tell that I will feel A-OK by week 6. Walking around at a festival should be wonderful for you at that point in your recovery! Just have a back-up plan in case you get fatigued...and make sure you clear with your Dr.
You have such a wonderful attitude. I have this feeling that you'll do even better than you expect! Take care of yourself.
Unread 03-25-2002, 06:13 PM
new to group

Hi Sara-
I have to have a TVH. I am also 29 (well for a few more weeks anyway!) I was very concerned, as was my doctor, about my age. Given the problems I have, we've decided it was a good thing for me to have done. Now is the waiting for the insurance company approval....they better say yes! Anyway, glad to know I'm not the only "younger" one having this surgery. Good luck to you and take care. I too am VERY happy to have found this site, it has helped me a TON! What a GREAT group of women, whom I consider my new friends! I'll be thinking about you....
~Jodie for you!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register