Surgery in the morning ..help | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery in the morning ..help Surgery in the morning ..help

Unread 03-25-2002, 05:56 PM
Surgery in the morning ..help

I am scared, my surgery is in the morning and was told by the doc. that it will be as an outpatient...is this normal. I am having a LAVH with just my uterus removed. What do I bring, wear and etc..confused
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 06:15 PM

Hi, I'm new here, too, and I'm scheduled for a LAVH this Friday. My husband and I will see my gyn. tomorrow to ask questions, etc., and then I'll have my pre-op appt. I'm trying to find out what questions to ask. I've done a lot of reading on this site - I'm sure someone will reply to your post who can tell you something that will help you. I hope everything goes well for you and that you have a very solid recovery. ~Sue
Unread 03-25-2002, 06:21 PM

Thanks Sue and Good Luck on Friday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 06:21 PM

I had my LAVH inpatient and stayed two nights. My dr had told me that if I did really really well that he would only make me stay one night. But I had a 101.7 temp the next morning and he made me spend another night. I have heard of some drs doing this surgery outpatient, but the ladies I know who had it this way had theirs years ago when this type was first started being done. Around where I live, patients with LAVH usually stay one or two nights. But if your dr has had enough experience in doing this type hyst, he should be able to tell how long you need to stay.

As for what to bring/wear, I would just wear something very comfortable. I wore a nice jogging suit.

Good luck to you both and please keep us posted on how everything goes!
Unread 03-25-2002, 07:44 PM

Wow, as outpatient? I had an LAVH and did extraordinarily well (was walking that evening, had the catheter out, was peeing on my own), and I still stayed one night & went home early the next afternoon. Maybe you just have a really stellar doc who does such good work his patients don't need to stay overnight.

And actually, I sorta wish I'd been able to come home. You get no rest in hospitals! And there is something so healing and soothing about being in your own home. So maybe it's not a bad thing.

Good luck!

Melissa
Unread 03-25-2002, 09:28 PM

I had LAVH on 2/8/02. Kept both ovaries. I stayed 1 night in the hospital. Almost wish I would have stayed 2 nights. I am surprised they would do this as outpatient surgery. Must be insurance companies trying to save money. If you do not want to come home the same day INSIST on staying at least 1 night. Hope your surgery goes well. I will keep you in prayer.
Unread 03-25-2002, 10:18 PM

(((((Joy)))))

Hi!

Some Dr's call a 23 hour hold an outpatient surgery. Just make sure you are honest with your Dr and the nurse's. If you are having pain, please tell them. Also, mention it to the nurse who does your admitance paperwork and check in, she may be able to tell you more about your stay.

Good luck to you. Wishing you an uneventful surgery...sending you positive thoughts and ers

Love & s
Unread 03-25-2002, 11:31 PM

I had my TVH on March 6, 2002. I will be 3 wks post op on Wednesday. I am just curious how you got to be on an outpatient basis. I was always under the impression when they did these procedures that you always stayed at least one night in the hospital. Lucky you!! I had the nurses call my doc at 8 pm at night asking him if I could go home. I was only there a day and 1/2.

I would be sure that you just wear something really comfy to the hospital and back home again. I packed a bag, but I did have to stay overnight. You really don't need much of anything, but make sure you take a small pillow for the ride home. You will be able to feel every bump in the road.

Hope this helps you some.
Unread 03-26-2002, 08:50 AM
Home the same day?

Hello!

I think if you're concerned about this you should MOST definitely ask. I will be having an abdominal so have to stay in, I wish I could go home right away - well, I say that now but I'm not in pain!!! But honestly, ask ask ask ask why you are not in for one night. AND, I agree - if you feel any pain or don't feel good or right after the procedure, make sure and tell them.
Unread 03-27-2002, 07:28 AM

No, Melissa, this is not a day surgery - gyn. says I'll be in for three nights - sorry I gave the wrong impression. Glad to hear you did so well - hope my cath. is out so soon!! ~Sue

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register