Infections, Infections | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Infections, Infections Infections, Infections

Unread 03-25-2002, 07:02 PM
Infections, Infections

Hi Sisters,

I have a bit of to ask this question, but----. I have chronic sinusitis. My Dr. gave me 2 different antibiotics over the last month to try to get rid of a bad one. When the Gyn did my biopsy he found I also had a Urinary Tract Infection. He said the Augmentin that I was on would clear that up as well. Well, I have been off of the Augmentin for about 10 days now. I still have the sinus infection and I think the UTI, but now in addition I also have a yeast infection , yuk. What can I do? Will the sinus infection and UTI keep me from my surgery in two weeks?

Also, what determines which type of TAH you have--vertical or bikini cut? Does anyone have any ideas?

My other question is why would they not have been able to reach the top of the uterus with either the pelvic ultrasound or the uterine biopsy? They couldn't find my ovaries either. This is why they are concerned about cancer.

Also, silly question. Why do I have a jewel in the crown on my posts? Sorry this is long.

Fairly calm so far--just moments of nervousness. Also, my last bad stress has been worked out. I have a handicapped DS who was having very serious problems. He had a friend who died in his apartment on Christmas Eve and it has been rough for him. We finally got him the help he needs to get over it. Thank God.

Best Wishes to our future es.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 07:04 PM
Infections, Infections

P.S. Oh, and thank you so much Kathy for this wonderful site and thank you to all these wonderful sisters who help us.
Unread 03-25-2002, 07:23 PM
Infections, Infections

Hi Sharon,
I can't answer all your questions, but here goes:

The decision about vertical versus horizontal incision depends on exactly why you are having your hyst (fibroids, endo, cancer). Some ladies with large fibroids need a vertical incision for better access to internal organs. Some ladies with cancer or large ovarian cysts need a vertical incision ... again, better access. I had a TAH/BSO for severe endo and my incision was horizontal, but my gyn debated about doing it vertically because he was concerned about getting a large enough opening to be able to see and remove all the endo.

As for the sinus infection and UTI potentially cancelling your surgery ... not sure about that. I have heard of surgeries being cancelled if you have a fever or really bad cough. But you need to check with your doctor (or maybe a nurse in his/her office) to be sure about this.

Jewel in crown usually means you have made a donation to the site.

Ultrasound not showing ovaries or top of uterus ... this can be due to many different things. At my last ultrasound, they could not see my left ovary, for some reason. Sometimes large fibroids make it impossible to see the entire uterus or ovaries. Endometriosis can be another problem during ultrasounds. Although cancer is another possible reason for not being able to view parts of your uterus or your ovaries, cancer is NOT the only reason. Does your gyn suspect that you have cancer? Fill us in on any details that you are comfortable sharing.

Glad to hear that you are trying to maintain a sense of calm. It can be tough to do, especially those last few days before surgery. We'll be here for you, every step of the way. Keep reading and posting and let us know how you are doing.

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2002, 08:59 PM
Infections, Infections

Hi Beth,

Thanks for all your help. Both my gyn & M.D. wanted my surgery quickly as they both said I am at high risk for cancer. Had to wait on the surgery due to insurance. The docs felt the biopsy was totally useless. I had breast cancer in Dec. and am on Tamoxifen which they said causes uterine cancer. My tumors (possbly fibroids) are huge and showed up just recently. This is one of their concerns. Had fibroids before, had D & C and felt better for a long time. This time is different. Have had breakthrough bleeding at various times over the last 6 months, nothing last 2 mths and then breakthrough bleeding several times this last week. I also have a family history of both breast and uterine cancer, especially my mom. I also have endo and dysplasia. I am so ready for this surgery, although nervous. The sisters have helped calm my fears about cancer. They said fibroids are rarely cancerous. Maybe my docs are just being overly conscientious.

Thanks again for your help both for me and everyone else. All the hostesses are so wonderful for giving your time and support to all.
Unread 03-26-2002, 03:43 AM
Infections, Infections

Hi Sharon,

Sorry to hear about your infections. Hope you don't have to postpone your date (we share the same one). Please check with your dr. to see if you should be doing another round of antibiotics . Sometimes the infections are stronger or more resitant to one antibiotic than drs. think so a second round may be helpful. I have had the same thing happen with my DS and his allergies. The dr. has a difficult time getting his sinuses to clear up after a cold and/or infection. A second round usually clears him right up. I have found that Zithromax (commonly known as Z-pack) worked better for him than Augmentin. You still have some time to get over everything before your trip to the castle, so check with your dr. today.

Thanks for the question about vertical vs. bikini incision. I was wondering the same myself. :confuse:

Take care and remember, lots of rest, fluids, and walking. Now is the best time to practice taking care of yourself.

Judy
Unread 03-26-2002, 07:29 PM
Infections, Infections

Hi Judy,

Thanks for your help. I took your advise and got in to see my M.D. this morning. He put me on Cipro as I haven't had great success with Z-pack the last time I was on it. He said as long as I don't get worse, the surgery is on for the 9th. He feels this will get rid of all my infections, yeah!!!

And Beth, thanks for the help with the verticalvs. horizontal incision. I asked Dr today and he said they will probably do a vertical on me because of the huge size of my uterus and that they can't reach the top, as well as the cancer concern.

What would I do without this site!!!! It's great!!
Unread 03-27-2002, 06:39 PM
Infections, Infections

Sharina,
Glad to be of help. So, at least you know your incision will be vertical and you can get prepared for that. I've read posts from other ladies who had vertical incisions and they did really well. I think we ladies just worry a lot about the appearance of the scar ... our vanity coming through, I guess. I'm sure you'll do fine with the vertical incision and if that's what is needed, then that is best for you.

Keep reading and posting and lean on us for support! We're here for you!!

Beth

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register