My adventures at the Castle! and some post-op words to the wise....[LONG] | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My adventures at the Castle!  and some post-op words to the wise....[LONG] My adventures at the Castle! and some post-op words to the wise....[LONG]

Unread 03-26-2002, 12:04 AM
My adventures at the Castle! and some post-op words to the wise....[LONG]

Hey sistahs! I made it!

I was admitted on Tuesday, 3/19, a day early, because I needed another transfusion before surgery. Turned out I had to have three units to get my count up to where they would do the surgery, and for a while there it looked like it might be delayed till Friday. But at around 10:30 Thursday morning, a nurse came in and told me I had been called for surgery. Well...I thought I would be happy to hear that, but I burst into tears!! A guy in scrubs came in a short time later, pushing a gurney. Off I went down the hall, crying the whole time. :cry: I cried in the elevator, down the hallways, through the double doors to the holding area. The anesthesiologist talked to me, and I cried. Then the chief surgeon and the surgical team came over to see me. The chief surgeon asked me what was wrong, and I said 'I'm scared!' He said, 'You will be fine! I am the best and when you see ME, you know you will be fine.' He has a Hungarian accent, so he made me laugh, and I felt somewhat better.

Then they wheeled me into the OR. It was freezing in there! They put me on a really narrow table, and they got some warm toasty blankets out of a special warming oven and covered me up, and it felt really good. They strapped me down and hooked me up to an IV. Hey, I think they tricked me, because nobody ever put a mask over my face or said 'now count backwards' etc. One minute I was awake, then the next thing I knew I was waking up in the recovery area.

Now here comes the only real bummer of my whole adventure. They didn't put pain meds in my IV, and when the anesthesia wore off - YIKES!!!! I was crying and yelling, I believe I may have cussed them out. They had to give me three morphine injections in recovery, and then when I got to my room it still took six or seven hits off my morphine pump to get the pain under control. Then I snoozed a lot for the first 12 hours, but boy was I thirsty! They wouldn't let me have any water or even ice chips. After 12 hours, they took out the catheter and let me have water, and I drank two of those little plastic pitchers right down. After 15 hours they took away my pump (darn it), and put me on oral Vicodin and Motrin, which actually worked pretty good.

On Thursday, I rested, talked on the phone to friends, snoozed, watched a little tv, and took a few little walks around the halls.

On Friday, the lead resident and another resident came in to see me. The lead resident is a doll, she has provided almost all my care since I first went to the ER in January for an emergency blood transfusion, and she worked very hard to get me a surgery date that would be compatible with scheduling the special care my daughter needed while I was in the hospital. Anyway, she told me they would like me to stay another day or two, but that I was doing well enough that if I wanted to go home that day, I could! I was anxious to get home. So at 2:00, my friend came and picked me up. We stopped at the vet and picked up my old (17 years) cat who was boarding there while I was in the hospital, and by 3:00 I was home. At around 6:00, my daughter arrived home from her group home placement, and then I was able to finally relax.

Now ladies, hold on to your hats!! I am going to tell you a cautionary tale. On Saturday, I felt very good, I had an energy spurt. And I talked myself into thinking I could go to the grocery store!! So my neighbor drove me. I was extra careful (so I thought), I walked really slowly and leaned on the cart, and my neighbor did all the lifting and reaching, and he brought all the groceries upstairs for me when we got back. Yes, I went up a flight of stairs too. Well...by Saturday night, and up to the very moment I am typing this post, I have paid a hefty price for thinking I could do that much so soon!!! Lots of pain, and an extra swelly swelly-belly. Yuck! I have been taking it verrrrrryyyyy easy for the last couple of days, but I guess I am just one of those stubborn types (just ask anyone who knows me, lol), I had to learn the hard way.

So be good princesses, and when you get home from the castle, rest rest and rest some more, keep your feet up, don't do anything you don't have to do, and even if you feel good, remember you just had major surgery!!

Okay I am going to go be a good princess now and go to sleep, see ya all later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2002, 01:04 AM

hi Gio........Welcome home!

sorry to hear you had to have another transfusion before hand...

but sounds like you going to do just great!....just no trips to the grocery store for a while hey!!
(I did something very similar too and paid the price)

Take care sweetie, listen to your body...rest rest rest, makes for that quicker recover.

s bubbles
Unread 03-26-2002, 03:52 AM

Hi Giofog,

Welcome home!!

I'm so sorry that you woke up without any pain meds. I'm sure the recovery room staff understood completely why you were yelling at them. And I won't send for the pillow since it sounds as if you've already seen them, and know that you don't want them to visit you again.

You also might want to tell your doctor about it just to be on the safe side.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2002, 04:05 AM
Hi Gio

Sweet Gio,
I've been waiting for you to post! I've missed you much in the chat room. I am gald that you, your daughter and kitty are home safe and sound. I look forward to seeing you in the chat room.
All the best to you.
Love Sandy
Angeldolls
Unread 03-26-2002, 09:29 AM
Hi Gio

Welcome home.
Sorry you had the painful experience in the Recovery room. I had the same thing happen. General Anesthesia wore off and OUCH, until they got the morphine going.
Anyway thanks for the warning to the
It is so easy to fool ourselves into thinking we can do things we shouldn't be doing. I did the grocery store thing to. Even though it was at day 12, I still over did it and paid the price
So now be a good princess and take it easy.
Unread 03-27-2002, 04:08 PM

Oh no, pain isn't my best subject!!! My surgery is scheduled for April 15th. Do you think I should remind them when I go into the operating room to be sure they start pain meds so when I wake up I'm not in the pain you were?

Barb
Unread 03-27-2002, 07:13 PM

Ouch! I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way that we tell you this stuff for very good reasons!!!

We all tend to think we are indespensable...superwomen!! But our bodies have been through a huge trauma, and if we don't give ourselves the chance to heal correctly, we will pay the price.

Thanks for sharing your story with all the LIWs...and keep off your feet!!!!! We get one chance to heal, so please be careful!

Karen
Unread 03-27-2002, 07:49 PM

Hi ladies! Thanks for your replies.

I am doing better finally, now that I'm being a good princess and just resting and relaxing as much as possible. My daughter has been going to her day program, and as soon as she leaves, I go back to bed. I've been sleeping a lot, and I'm sure I need it!

Barb, I don't think it's the usual thing for the recovery staff to forget about the pain meds, but it couldn't hurt to remind your surgeon and the anesthesiologist before you go into surgery. Just tell them you've heard a few stories and you're concerned because you DON'T want to be in pain when the anesthesia wears off! I know if I ever have surgery again (I hope I don't), I'll be letting them know what happened.

Well, I'm going to go read a little bit more on the site, and then be a couch potato for the rest of the evening.

See you later!
Unread 03-27-2002, 11:36 PM
(((( Gio )))))

SAM from chat here..... shame on you for thinking you could do that much..... I'm glad to hear you are on track now.... Take it from me.... I rested and thought I was in good shape, except for my leaky bladder.... This trip to be with my father for his final days has take it;s toll. Now that it is over and he is gone, I think the adrenalin that kept me going for the few bad days we had to indure has left me with pain. I cannot wait to get home and rest. The family members hear were to busy to worry about what I had been through and did not make needed accomodations. Thus I now am paying the price. I'm glad it's over and I am heading back to Chicago Monday. I have doctors appts which I am looking forward to.... Then later in the week will be his funeral, that will be the last hurdle of this nightmare that will stop me from relaxing again to gain strenght and hopefully bladder control. I miss you all in chat and look forward to visiting with you all again soon. Glad to hear you are doing well.... Keep up the good work.....
Unread 03-27-2002, 11:48 PM
{{{SAM}}}

Oh, Sam.....I am so sorry.

I'm glad you were able to be with your dad in his last days, but the timing wasn't exactly good for your recovery. And I'm sorry your family didn't make proper arrangements for your stay. I'll be looking forward to seeing you in chat when you are up to it again, but please take care of yourself first and foremost. I'm sending you big big hugs and you will be in my thoughts daily.

Please e-mail me any time if you want to vent or just talk, giofog@aol.com, or IM me, you probably remember but giofog2 is my AIM handle.

Please be good to yourself during this tough time.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register