Pre-Op Consent Form | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Consent Form Pre-Op Consent Form

Unread 03-26-2002, 11:10 AM
Pre-Op Consent Form

Dear Ladies,
I just came from my pre-op lab work. When the nurse was asking me to sign consent papers it has remove ovaries included with the hyst. I said NO, I will not sign that. She changed it in the computer and wrote it three times in my paperwork, do not remove ovaries. I'm wondering if this is just standard or a mistake? Me and my dr. talked about it and decided not to remove the ovaries. Has this happened to any of you? The nurse said I had not given my consent to remove ovaries by signing the paper because she had changed it in the computer and on the paperwork. Hope that's true info. My surgery is at 7:30 a.m. 3/28/02 Thurs. I've lost 5 lbs.. in 2 wks. worrying about it I'm suire. If any of you have had an experience like this please let me know? Once again, I'm thankful for your much needed support. Thanks,
Rocky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2002, 11:29 AM
Pre-Op Consent Form

Hi, Rocky,

I can understand your concern about this issue. Just thinking about having surgery is a little scary, without having to worry about consent forms with incorrect information.

My doctor came to see me, after I was admitted to the hospital, and just a few minutes before my surgery started. This would be a good time, I think, to remind your doctor, one last time, that you want to keep your ovaries.

Also, some women have mentioned to their Hystersisters that they wrote funny comments on their abdomens before their surgery. How about writing "I want to keep my ovaries!" or something similar, on your tummy?

Good luck with your surgery, and please let us know how you're doing.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Unread 03-26-2002, 11:57 AM
Pre-Op Consent Form

I agree with what Helen said! I would have the preop nurse take a purple skin marker and write "keeping ovaries" on my belly!

Good luck with your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2002, 01:21 PM
Pre-Op Consent Form

I certainly understand the concern, but my concern would be that if the Doc. gets in there and finds a serious problem with the ovaries, his hands are now tied. He can not remove them. That could potentially mean another surgery. Maybe a compromise, TAH with possible BSO. And a serious talk with Doc so that he understand that it is only if ABSOLUTLY necessary.
Unread 03-26-2002, 01:40 PM
Pre-Op Consent Form

I agree with Sandcastle.......you just don't know for sure what the doctor will find until he's in there. I was adament about keeping my ovaries also.....and my obgyn did try, but he had to take the left one anyway, it was in very bad shape. Your doctor will (should) speak to you right before surgery.......go ahead and tell him your fears and what you want and don't.....I'm sure he'll do his best to honor your wishes. Best of luck!
Unread 03-26-2002, 05:46 PM
Pre-Op Consent Form

I also just had my pre-op appt and notice the exact same thing on the doc's orders. The nurse said it is a "CYA" in case he gets in there and the ovaries need to be removed. I am adament that mine stay and ONLY be removed if they are eaten up with cancer.
Good luck to you and God Bless-
Erin

:run3:
Unread 03-26-2002, 05:58 PM
Pre-Op Consent Form

Thanks, I have my appt. tomorrow and I will be sure to read the print and just not sign! A bad habit of mine.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register