Questions on endometrial ablation?? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions on endometrial ablation?? Questions on endometrial ablation??

Unread 03-26-2002, 03:17 PM
Questions on endometrial ablation??

I have been reading a lot of post on woman who have had an endometrial ablation...my question is...I have probable adenomysis, which was diagnosed after my laporoscopy last June. I have terrible pelvic pain and menstral cramping ALL month, painful intercourse with bleeding, large clots, and back pain...I have tried b/c pills, no success, I had lupron injections for 6 month...pain free for 6 months, and now 5 months lupron free, all the symptoms are back...anyway, to the question Has anyone with adeno been made by their insurance company to have an ablation before a hysterectomy? Is that something they require? I just want the hysterectomy...don't want anymore children (DH has been fixed for 8 years)...and sick of living in pain.
I will talk to my doctor next week at my appt, just wanted to ease my mind in the mean time..
Thanks for such a wonderful site and all the support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2002, 04:14 PM

It appears that you have tried a conservative treatment with the lupron. I don't think insurance companies require ablations as a rule, but maybe D&C's prior to hysts. Each one is different. If you have adenomyosis, an ablation will not take care of that, the ablation process only destroys endometrial glands in the uterus and adenomyosis is in the uterine muscle. Your doc should be able to give you the info that you need to make the right decisions. His/her insurance staff will also know how to handle pre certification with your insurance. I hope you have a good outcome!

Unread 03-27-2002, 06:44 PM

Hi MJM,

I had an ablation in May of 2001. I did that first, because I wanted to try everything before I chose surgery. My insurance did not require that I do it this way. I just felt it was wise. I will tell you that in my case, I had to have a hyst just this past Feb. In my case the ablation did not work, because through the hyst. it was discovered that I had "internal fibroids". They were in the walls of the uterus. So in retrospect. the abaltion wouldn't have done the trick. Many times with all sorts of tests the doctors just can't tell.
I don't regret trying the ablation, but in a way I feel I had almost a year go by with the same problems.

Talk to your Doc, maybe they can require it medically so the insurance won't make you have the ablation. I'm so glad I had the hyst. so far. I feel human again.

Good Luck to you.

Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2002, 07:52 PM

I had an ablation about 2 years ago and it didn't work for me either. Now I am in the process of getting a Hyst. approved from my insurance company. My doctor says he's seen it happen before where (like in my case) patients have taking the pill, had the ablation, and the insurance company STILL wouldn't cover it! Plus my age might be a factor (I'm 29) but my DH has also been fixed, I have done things that haven't worked, I'm sick of living this way and its MY body! Keep your fingers crossed for me! I will say that the ablation was a breeze, it was out patient and I was home by 2:00 in the after noon with just some mild cramping. So, if you have to go that route first, I want you to know there is nothing to it. Good luck to you on your quest of "period freedom" Keep us posted.
~Jodie

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register