What do I expect ? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do I expect ? What do I expect ?

Unread 03-26-2002, 07:29 PM
What do I expect ?

Hi- I am new on this board but have really enjoyed reading about everyones concernes and thoughts.
My pre-op visit is scheduled for April 4, Of course I have many questions for my Dr. concerning what to expect with the surgery. My surgery is scheduled April 19th. I will be having a hysterectomy with both uterus and ovaries being removed.
I really don't know what to look for. He did say I would be in the hospital for 2 to 3 days with 6 weeks recovery. I guess the unknown is what scares me. I was hoping when we decided on a hysterectomy that I would only have to have Uterus removed so I wouldn't have to take hormones. I have had endom. for several years however didn't find this out for sure until about 3 years ago. I have one child and knew something was wrong when I couldn't get pregnant again- Of course I thought it might be my husband but it wasn't. After my lap surgery my Dr. said my endom. is very bad. The only way we could ever have children is to try Invitro- well thats not why i had the surgery was to try and get pregnant but to rid the pain....The surgery went well with no pain for approx. 8 months and gradually started coming back. Then we decided on Lupron. i stayed on this for 11 months. Within 6 months I could tell the pain was returning. So now I am HERE!
Wondering first of all if i am making the right decission and just scared of the unknown. I have several friends who have had a hysterec. and they say they feel so much better than before. That's what I want but I guess i just don't want to actually go thru the procedure as far as recovery, hormones, ect...lol
I do realize if surgery is a success that down the road I will be glad I did it.
Is everyone else as uptight about this as me? I think it may be a women issue as far as feeling like part of your womenhood is being taken. However i want miss those monthly menestral visits whatsoever...
I guess I came here to vent and talk with people who understand my concerns and fears....
Thanks for being patient with my lengthy story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2002, 07:34 PM
What do I expect ?

It took me a long time to decide to have my hyst, and I got more and more panicked as the day of surgery approached. It's totally natural. I'm 2 weeks post-op now and I remember how out of my mind with stress I was beforehand -- and how much calmer I feel now. It's a major surgery, and for a lot of women, it has major emotional ramifications, even if we don't want kids or more kids.

You've definitely come to the right place for support. This site helped keep me sane while I freaked out more and more as the surgery became more and more real to me. A lot of women say the waiting is the worst part of it -- which means you're already handling the worst of it, and it's all smooth sailing from here!

Good luck!

Melissa
Unread 03-26-2002, 07:47 PM
Hey, April 19th is my birthday :)

EVERYONE is nervous about surgery, that is natural and expected. I was so uptight my hub asked my doctor to prescribe valium for me, and she did! I am needle phobic and really had to work hard to get through it, but I did

I was never able to have a child or experience pregnancy, I can only imagine what it is like to have had that pleasure and then have it taken away. We tried for years but at age 46 ( 47 this April) I realized that it ain't gonna' happen.

I can honestly tell you I feel better NOW than I did prior to surgery. I did not have Endo, but I had cysts on my ovarys and tubes and taking my uterus was just common sense. No more periods EVER!!

Relax and follow the good advice you will get here, and post often, you will get answers!! This is a wonderful support site!

's
Bev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2002, 07:48 PM
thanks

I think thats my problem is the closer it gets the more panicked I am. I really hope the Dr. gives me a shot for my nerves the minute I walk into the hospital.

How did your surgery go?

Did you have to have a TAH?

Where you in a great deal of pain right after surgery and how about now?

Sorry so many questions...
thanks
Lynne
Unread 03-27-2002, 04:41 AM
What do I expect ?

Everyone has different tolerances for pain, but I think how much discomfort you have after surgery depends in part to the amount of work they have to do inside. I had a pretty basic surgery (for a tah/bso), no endo, adhesions, or a/p repairs. I would describe what I felt after I got over the effects of the ansthesia, etc to be discomfort. I was never in what I would call real pain. And any discomfort was much much less than the cramps I had with my periods. I really felt worse (groggy, etc) from the anesthesia than anything else.

Once again, everyone is different, but don't hesitate to take your pain meds, and don't wait until you are really in pain, you need to stay ahead of it, it's harder to get it under control if you try to "tough it out".

Before surgery my dr told me recovery time was about six weeks, that for the first two weeks I would be a couch potato, after that take it easy and NO LIFTING. She was right, I slept a lot during the first two weeks, after that the incision was feeling better, the bowels were pretty much back to normal, and moving around got easier and easier. I still find myself needing to take a short rest in the afternoon, but with every passing say I am able to do more and more (gradually). I have my last post op apt with my dr on Friday, hopefully will be cleared to resume all regular activities.

I was truly amazed at how fast I felt good. I started HRT two weeks after surgery and have not experienced hot flashes.

Oh, and you are going to hear this over and over - the waiting really is the hardest part! That should be the official lady in waiting motto! Also I read everything on this site, I felt prepared, and I knew what to expect every step of the way. My dr was also great about explaining what was going to happen.
Unread 03-27-2002, 04:59 AM
mlweeman

Thanks- I am sure he will explain everything but my Dr. is a male so sometimes I don't know if they exactly know what you are feeling and the pain that comes along with it.
He is very patient and good at his job but you know what I mean- I would rather hear first hand from someone who has experieced this.
I am on the Board of a little league in our town and the Director of one of the divisions. I have alot of responsibilities this time of year so to say the least this is a bad time to be "down". But I do have to take care of myself.
I was hoping after a week i would feel like going to the games and keeping the score, ect. I do realize I can't be lifting anything and I have explained to the others on the Board I will have to have their help. I guess my best bet is to not promise I will be back at any given time and just take it day by day- i am sure there will not be a problem...but of course its not like I am getting paid- this is Volunteer work so whatever happens-happens.
Thanks for your input.
Unread 03-27-2002, 11:31 AM
What do I expect ?

I'm 2 weeks post-op (LAVH) and doing quite well, but I don't think I'd be up to going to ball games. It's an awful lot of sitting, plus the car ride, which can be bumpy & uncomfortable.

If you do go, try taking lots of cushions with you to prop yourself up & be more comfy. Or maybe this is a good opportunity to exercise that "no" muscle.

Good luck! I hope your surgery goes so well that you're taking in those games in no time.

Melissa
Unread 03-27-2002, 02:13 PM
What do I expect ?

Run About,you sure have come to the right site..LOTS of women here,and lots and lots of help,24/7..it doesn't matter how intimate the question,or physically descriptive,the ladies here have seen and heard it all,and then some

I am 4 weeks postop...skip over to the postop message boards,and check out some of the ladies who are new postops..you'll find all ranges of responses to everything..pain and recovery are such totally individual things,you can poll 200 women,and get 200 different experiences.

Anxiety is so,so normal!! Read as much as you can here,even some of the posts that may not seem to relate to anything you are asking..sometimes one question leads to another,and before you know it,you've read dozens of answers to things you didn't even remember to ask yet

So good to have you here..can you download the chatroom??
You'd enjoy it..

Cynthia

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register