a great DH | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-26-2002, 07:41 PM
a great DH

I told my DH today that his support pre-surgery meant even more to me than his support post-surgery. Granted, my recovery's going quite well, but I realized that having him really listen to me as I slowly flipped my lid during the 3 weeks before surgery made all the difference.

He really is an awesome listener & has been ever since I found a way to explain to him that just listening, all by itself, without any problem-solving, is a great gift. I think before that, he felt overwhelmed by my problems & didn't realize I didn't need him to fix them, just to let me vent. Now he really gets it and helps me talk through whatever is on my mind.

I know not all DH's listen all that well -- I guess I'm hoping that some of you LIWs out there can find a way to communicate to your less helpful DH's just how much it helps to have a sympathetic ear. Maybe some of them feel overwhelmed too, and can become more helpful if they see how much just listening can help a stressed-out woman.

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2002, 08:02 PM
a great DH

That's a very good point...and true for others in our lives as well. Friends, SOs, parents, children...we all need to listen more to each other.

Thanks for sharing your insight...and I'm glad something good has come from this experience for you and your husband!

Karen
Unread 03-26-2002, 08:04 PM
Count me in on that

My DH has is wonderful. He knew I was in pain prior to surgery. I lost my job in January and contemplated postponement to gain employment but he insisted that we tighten our belts and go on as scheduled and I am so glad we did. You never know what will be uncovered until you get that path report.

He has been doing EVERYTHING around the house, on top of that, he is a very handsome dude

I am blessed
's
Bev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2002, 10:28 PM
a great DH

Bev, your husband sounds great!! I'm glad he put your needs first. I'm glad also to hear another princess chiming in about her great DH. I didn't want to sound like I was bragging or anything, just that I'm really grateful for my sweet husband and that I realized how much I needed his support pre-surgery, and how glad I am he was able to give it.

Melissa
Unread 03-26-2002, 11:03 PM
a great DH

i sure can relate to this also. my hubby is disabled and when i was struggling with needing to have the surgery or not he seemed ONLY concerned with how it would affect HIM and how would HIS needs be met. dont think all of it doesnt scare and worry me but sighs am going ahead with it in 2 weeks... april 8th. anyhow tho i finally had to knock some sense into him about how scared i was.... and how we all would have to make the best of it and all the preliminary prepping i would do to make it as smooth as possible for us. My mom is gone and my 16 year old son feels all too often the added burdens of caring for things his dad can;t do or i cant and more than his fair share of responsibility. anyhow once hubby got smart and realized how severely anemic i have been and how painful the fibroids are getting and how long and heavy(understatement) i am bleeding and how i need to eliminate my risk of uterine cancer my mom brutally died from.. he became a very good listener and is very encouraging NOW of me not backing out of this and feels we will manage fine. i am not sure why the turn around but makes ALL the difference in feeling and having his emotional support at least... sure wish i had the physical support but i do at least have a girlfriend coming to stay with us for the first week.
am beginning to panic tho the closer it gets~
janice

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register