Scared of the unknown | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared of the unknown Scared of the unknown

Unread 03-27-2002, 04:26 AM
Scared of the unknown

Hi all,
Well I am new here but ever so glad I found this site as I have been scheduled for an abdominal hysterectomy on the 9th May. I have spoken at length to my Doctor but still I find myself wondering just what it will be like and how long the recovery will really be and how hard it will be. Can someone shed some light on all that is involved for me.....Please as I have to say I am quite scared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2002, 04:46 AM
Hi and Welcome Twodogz

Twodogz

From one Aussie to another, welcome to the best site around.

I am now 15 weeks post. Like you I was nervous about this surgery. Not so much scared as just plain nervous. I had a TAH with a bikini cut. I have got to say the surgery and recovery were about 1/4 as bad as I expected. I was in hospital for 1 day pre op and dr expected me to be in 7 days post, but by day 5 post I was too well to stay in hospital.

For the operation I had both a general anaesthetic (for the op) and an epidural (for post op pain relief). I have another medical condition and the dr did not want me to have morphine. The epidural stayed in for 2 days post. It was just the best. If I was ever to have major surgery again (which hopefully I won't), I would definitely go this way again. The first day post op they got me out of bed and sat me in a chair for a while. Then the next day they got me up and walking, and quite honestly I have not looked back since then. The whole experience has been unreal and so easy.

The operation itself was supposed to be 90 minutes, but ended up being 3 hours as they found a "mass" when they got in there. Luckily the mass turned out to be benign.

I am sure other ladies will come along soon and share their experiences. For me the most important part was to stay positive and to keep focused on what I was gaining by having this surgery.

I have now missed 4 periods - NOT. I can now actually go out and not have to check out where the ladies room is the minute I get there. Still do it though, force of habit.

Regards and all the best wishes for your surgery.

Gail

PS The chat room is a lot of fun, you get to talk to ladies real time and ask questions and just have some fun. The ladies there are so supportive and stopped me from going stir crazy more than once.
Unread 03-27-2002, 05:10 AM
Scared of the unknown

Hi and welcome! As Gail said this is the best site around, I do have to warn you though - this site can be addictive!

I am 7weeks post op. I had a great dr who explained everything, and was always willing to answer any question or concern, but it was so great to be able to come here and hear from other sisters who had gone through the same thing. Reading other ladies stories and experiences is usually reassuring. There is no question that you could ask that someone here won't know the answer to, usually from their own experience. I also agree with Gail about staying positive.

I had a tah/bso. I was never in what I would call pain - discomfort maybe, but definitely lots less than the cramps I had during my periods.

For two weeks I was a couch potato, after that I could get around pretty well, with each passing day I was laying down or resting less and up and about more. DH was great about doing laundry, cooking, etc, and my Mom stopped in almost every day so I had a babysitters who wouldn't let me do too much too soon.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2002, 07:47 PM
Re- Scared of the unknown

Thankyou Gail and mary lou for your quick responses. I think you are right I have found the best place for info and support.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register