I Made It....post Hyst 9 Days! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I Made It....post Hyst 9 Days! I Made It....post Hyst 9 Days!

Unread 03-27-2002, 07:12 AM
I Made It....post Hyst 9 Days!

Hello to all. I had surgery March 18 and and 9 days post hyst.
Today is first real decent day for me. Have a long way to go, but just wanted to let you all know I'm here. Recovery is much slower than I ever thought. Had a huge amount of pain at hospital. Woke up in recovery room gagging on tube down throat. Had a reaction to medicine. Was delayed on my pain meds. Not too pleasant but I survived. Ended up as a total hyst which was fine with me. Don't ever want to go through with that again. Am on Primeran for HRT .625. It is working very well.
Sleeping is hard......can't find a good way. Am able to walk all around the house for my exercise. Try to walk an hour a day around the house for strength. Will go into more details soon!Not anywhere near leaving the house just for a trip to town with anyone. Using lot's of pillows behind back and tummy. Not much of an appetite. Off med's now for about 3 days. Just taking 600 mg. of ibprophen. Seems to take the edge off.

Thanks for all the concerns and prayers. They are were greatly appreciated. Will write the big story soon when up to it.

Thanks so much,
cosmocyndi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2002, 08:21 AM
Thanks

Wow- thanks for the update. My TAH is scheduled for the 19th and reading all of your stories really helps me to be a little more prepared.
Please keep me informed on your recovery and what to expect.
thanks again-

# :^)

~RuN-AbOuT ~
Unread 03-27-2002, 08:58 AM

Glad you are home and recovery is going so well.

Wanted to invite you to join us over in Post op, too. There is alot of love and support over there for the punctured princesses. See you there soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2002, 10:08 AM

s

I'm glad you're home and sound like you're taking good care of yourself.
Unread 03-27-2002, 10:33 AM
Princess cosmocyndi

Welcome home cosmocyndi! Sorry you had a few difficult moments right after surgery. Glad you're recovering well now. I hope your hour of walking is many short walks, and not one very long one! Be a good pampered princess now! s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 03-27-2002, 11:35 AM

Glad it is over for you Cindi, I thought about you, I know you were stressing pre-op. I am 15 days out and feeling great, driving etc. It goes by quickly.
Take care and write when you can.
Unread 03-29-2002, 12:55 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for all the good comments!

Am doing better. I guess for some stupid reason I thought I'd be an exception to the rule and just be bounced back to myself in one week. What a laugh.

My mom-in-law drove me to K-Mart yesterday on day 10 so I could get some Easter goodies for the kids. Used the electric buggy. So glad, or I would have never made it. It took forever and it's amazing how many things are too low or too high to reach right now. Glad I had help. Was home in 3 hours and litterly shot. Hubby wasn't happy with me. I had to promise today to do NOTHING. It was a bit more of a challenge than I thought and I got sore around the waist a bit....put on blue jeans. Swelly belly didn't like that. Was glad to get home to jammy pants. Finally got to reach enough to shave the legs today and took off steri-strips. They were to come off 2 days ago, but when I took a few, I was stressing as to whether or not they were ready so I waited until today. Not too bad. A good 5 1/2" long is the size of the incision. Just so glad dr. was able to go about 1 1/2 above hairline and cut me horizonal and not the scheduled vertical. So happy he was on top of what I was hoping and tried his best. The dr. new I was really sad about vertical. My hubby said the first thing the dr. said was "I was able to cut her the way she wanted". My hubby told the dr. that that was GREAT! And, I forgot to mention that all organs were non- cancerous......YEAH! The dr. had the pathology report before I left the hospital!!

I am scheduled for work on week 5. I think that it must just take a good 2 weeks and then life is good. I marked week 3 when I'm allowed to driveon the family calander. It gives me a goal. I believe that means I'm good to go at that point....things will be looking up.

I am taking 3-200mg. of ibprophen for pain just twice a day. Probably should take it more often, but when I had scarey, strange dreams from the demerol, I decided to go easy on the drugs. Today seems not so bad, but just sore. The stinging is weakening! YEAH! I haven't taken a nap in 2 days.

Oh, sometimes my walk is 1 hour together and then at other times I break it up. I like both ways for different reasons. I need to not push so much, but want my strength back.

I was planning on going to the movie THE PANIC ROOM with 2 g.f.'s of mine b-4 surgery and it's so silly how all 3 of us thought I would be able to go tonight. lol NO WAY!!!!!! They are gonna wait...maybe next week.......lol The movie will just have to open without me tonight! lol

Well, there's my update for now!

I hope that I didn't completely bore you but I think that I would have liked to read something like the above b-4 my surgery to even better prepare myself. I learned alot from you girls at this site and plan to learn much more and maybe give a bit of comfort and help to others. I will go to the "post-hyst" site soon and chat there too!

One day at a time........
cosmocyndi
Unread 03-29-2002, 03:00 PM

Hi Cyndi

So good to hear from you! I wondered what happened during your surgery. That's great news about your incision being horizontal, not vertical. Bikinis in no time ... right???

PLEASE take it easy. No bending, lifting, reaching. It sounds like you are pushing yourself a LOT. The first two weeks were really tough for me. I didn't start driving until almost 4 weeks post op and it was Christmas, so you know I really wasn't up to it.

You don't have to be a hero, Cyndi. Listen to your body. Everyone heals in their own time, so don't feel like you're not up to snuff or something. I know you are wonder woman (hee-hee), but now is the time to really take it easy and let all those internal stitches heal. Your body has been through a lot. It's okay to lay around for a couple more weeks.

Thanks for updating us. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Sending big hugs your way.

Beth
Unread 03-30-2002, 02:29 PM

hi beth,

thanks for the reminder to go a bit slower. the last 2 days i have done too much. i feel the bruising of the insides now. need to slow it down again. the family sees me looking better and then forgets, i think as well as myself. my waiste is sore.

i finally got a true look at the incision last night when my hubby was putting vit. e on it for me and i was laying down and had him get a mirror because i really haven't gotten a true visual except standing at a long mirror. i was disappointed that instead of the 5 1/2" we thought, it's like between 6-7". Me and my hubby were both suprised with it. it goes on an angle and i'm sure that was what he had to do to avoid the vertical cut. i'm happy for that one. a compromised incision! lol oh, yeah right on the bikini! lol only a modeste tankini that goes to the button will go to the beach with me and then when you walk, it looks like a one piece and then when you lay down to tan, well, i anyway...pull up the top and tan the belly. what a site i must be but so what!

we might try to go to pizza hut tonight. i want to eat somewhere that isn't so huge and is a bit fast. the church brought food monday, wed, friday and that was awesome! what a great gesture! what a wonderful help providing some meals. my girl friend keeps bringing over desserts...i'll be huge if she doesn't stop. lol

oh, i don't want real pants on tonight....lol will find the biggest ones in the closet lol

cosmocyndi
Unread 03-30-2002, 03:29 PM

I wore my jammies around the house for weeks. It helped remind * me * and *my family * that I was recovering from major surgery. If I went anywhere (usually DR or a short outing) I got right back in the jammies as soon as I got home.

When I quit wearing the jammies, alot of the help stopped, too. So get your jammies back on, Girl !!! It might help, right?

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register