I Made It....post Hyst 9 Days! - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I Made It....post Hyst 9 Days! I Made It....post Hyst 9 Days!

Unread 03-30-2002, 03:29 PM
I Made It....post Hyst 9 Days!

hiya cosmo...just wanted to send you hugs and good wishes. You're doing fabulously - your own pace is just perfect for you. Listen to your instincts, and don't overdo it!

Stay strong

Tess
x

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2002, 03:48 PM

Thanks girls.

At least I am listening to my body and what it says. Did you read that nasty post in the post-hyst something about don't let this site scare you.......WOW! So crazy I had to post. lol

Gotta go get my big pants on for the pizza trip and believe me they will be unzipped when I hit the door back home and into jammy pants I will be. Oh, My trip to K-mart in the electric buggy...lol people were stare-ing at me wondering what on earth I was doing. I think I should have followed my mom-in-laws advise and worn my jammies. lol People don't know how to treat you in regular clothes. lol

cosmocyndi
Unread 03-30-2002, 05:13 PM

Hey there, Cosmocyndi, I'm glad to know that you've made it through.

I had my surgery on March 4th and was going home the next day (Tuesday, but requested another day with my doctor. I'm so glad that I did because I developed a 102 temp, which wouldn't have been pretty once I got to my brother's house since I was staying with them for 1-1/2 weeks after surgery. At least staying in the hospital they were able to attend to this problem while I was there.

I didn't have too pain in the hospital and only used the morphine pump twice. I would get up around 3:00a or 4:00a to go to the bathroom and would sit in the chair for a little while to give the lower part of my back some rest.

When I got to my brother's house I took one pain pill and split it in half for the morning and evening 'cause my back felt very tired and sort of like I'd developed a kidney infection. After that my back didn't give me any more problems.

When I was able to come back to my third floor apartment (32 steps in all) I started letting my go downstairs by herself so that I wouldn't pull myself too much on the steps. Every now and then when I wake up or after sitting for awhile I get a little tight at my incision sight, but after 5 mins. or so I'm loosened up enough to really get going. It takes me a minute, though.

Other than that I've had a very good recovery, so far, and I hope it continues that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2002, 05:14 PM
just had to reply to going riding in the chair

the day I got home from the castle I had to go to wal-mart to get my pain meds filled so my hubby got me a wheel chair and I had on my pjs
and my dh pushed me around the drug store
when I had my doctor apt ,on the 26th I wore my night gown and house coat right down to my house shoes I didn't not care what people thought or how I looked all I know was I didn't want anything between my legs I have been in my jammeys since came home and I don't think I will put anything on till I go back
for my 6 week check up then I will probley ware a dress

I am not doing anything except walk, drink, and rest
even thou I feel good and feel like I could do anything I wanted to I don't cause I know I have to do this for me sorry so long
hugs ladypeewee
Unread 03-30-2002, 05:54 PM

Hi Cyndi and others,

Please continue to take it easy, everyone. This is your chance to really heal properly, so don't overdo it and end up back in the ER!

As for your wardrobe choices ... I lived in my sweats for several weeks after surgery. It was December and winter in Ohio, so jammie pants weren't warm enough. Somehow I did manage to put on a pair of slacks for my staple removal appointment at 6 days post op. I just could not see myself sitting in the waiting room with all those pregnant ladies and me looking like a frump in my sweats! It's amazing what vanity will make you do!

Cyndi - my incision was horizontal and about 7 1/2 inches. I've read posts that say anything from 5 inches to 11 inches. So I guess we're about average. The good news is, the scar does fade and the swelly belly does go away with time.

Try not to get too impatient with this recovery time. I know it's tough, but give your bodies a chance to heal well. It will be worth it.

Beth
Unread 03-30-2002, 10:20 PM
Back to work

My Hysterectomy is scheduled for April 9th. I told my boss I would be back to work in 2 weeks. From what I have read, I guess not!!!
So I told him 3 weeks. Do you really think I will need all 6 weeks. I have a sedentary desk job, no lifting.
Unread 03-31-2002, 10:39 PM

Hi, Lynxpoint, I see that you're scheduled for surgery on April 9th, so here's what I did to make the going a little easier.

I went ahead and got my pain meds filled before going into the hospital so that I wouldn't have to bother my family with trying to take care of this for me. I live in a 3rd floor apartment with 32 steps, so I wasn't able to come home and decided to stay with my brother and sister-in-law for 1-1/2 weeks before trying the steps.

I then went shopping for some loose fitting jammies (big t-shirts like the flannel ones worked well for me) and pants sets with rubber in the waist so that theycould accommodate my pending "swelly belly". I knew that I didn't want anything tight or even closely tight around my waist.

I know that everyone heals differently and I guess I'm the exception to the rule being that I've healed rather fast, but I'm still taking my six weeks to fully recover. You don't want to rush yourself and end up back in the ER as BethAC suggested. Let your body be your best judge. After all, it knows what it can take and will certainly let you know when it's had enough.

I made the mistake of going up and down my steps at the apartment too much one day and boy did I feel it. In fact, I felt it so much from the tired legs and tight "swelly belly" that I decided to stay in for the next two days and not stress myself out. Trust me, it did a world of good. I wasn't in any pain, just felt tired and listless. Going up and down 32 steps can pull you in more ways than you think, especially with this type of surgery.

Please re-consider being off for just 2 weeks and take the full 6 if you can. I can't stress that enough to you, but you know your financial situation better than anyone. You might feel as though you can conquer the world, but the world will come back to bite you in the patooty if you're not careful!!!

Take care of yourself.
Unread 04-01-2002, 09:38 AM

Hi everybody,

Today is the 2 week mark! Gosh, do I feel so much better.
I do see that it will take me longer than I thought. I am all for the 4-6 weeks recovery now. I'll be on my feet all day, and I thought 4 weeks to recover was plenty and my boss that has been through this told me that I had to take off longer...lol (isn't that different) I compromised at 5 weeks. I sit her at 2 weeks and see I have come a long way, but know that I have a long way to go still.
Church and dinner afterwards totally did me in yesterday. Today I hurt from the ribs down. Went for the ibprophen as usual.
My hubby reminds me to take it easy and that is good. Things out of place are beginning to bug me a bit and I've done a little more the last few days. I have found that my body tells me to stop and then I do. I want to be ready in 5 weeks. Now I wish I would have taken the full 6 weeks but being without pay is difficult and I work 3 days as a hairstylist so I feel obligated to all my customers of many years....I made sure that the appointment book for my first week back was marked at a much slower pace giving me 15 min. in between each customers appt. and an extra 15 minutes for their appt. I feel things will work.

I'd sure hate to be doing all those stairs I have read about. 32 one way. OUCH! I have a friend that had her hyst. 2 hours before me...same dr. and she had to come home and do steps to get to shower/etc. I felt bad for her. We keep in touch every few days and have confirmed that we are recoving "NORMALLY" and at the same pace and have the same pain and all that. It is so re-assuring that we can talk....JUST LIKE THIS SITE!

cosmocyndi
Unread 04-01-2002, 07:39 PM

Glad you seem to be doing well. Keep taking it easy and good luck for the upcoming weeks of recovery.

runabout
(lynne)
Unread 04-02-2002, 04:05 PM
Post-Op Exercise

Hey, guys, I have a quick question. Does anyone know just how long it takes before we're able to do any exercising for our "swelly bellies"?

I'm just dying to try to get back in shape before the summer months.

Let me know your thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register