I Made It....post Hyst 9 Days! - Page 3 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I Made It....post Hyst 9 Days! I Made It....post Hyst 9 Days!

Unread 04-02-2002, 04:13 PM
I Made It....post Hyst 9 Days!

Hey, Lynxpoint, did you ever decide to take the extra time off from work? I think that you'll appreciate having the extra time and giving your body a chance to really heal properly.

I hope that you re-consider being off just for 2 weeks. Although you might feel just great, there's still a lot you won't be able to do, especially walking fast. Even as fast as I've healed, there were times when I overdid it and didn't realize it until I slowed down and then I felt the effects of it and just had to take an extra day or two to stay in and cool out. It's a long recovery process and one that should be taken very seriously.

Let us know. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 04:32 PM

Hey, ladypeewee, how are things going for you? Have you had any problems? I hope not and hope that you're doing just fine.

Yesterday I finally took the steri-strips off that the doctor put on when I had my first post-op appointment on the 6th after my Monday surgery on the 4th. He said that they'd probably drop off in a week, but since I had a couple of places that didn't heal up completely I decided to leave them on to give those places a chance to heal up.

When I took the strips off yesterday I was pleasantly surprised to see that even the places that didn't initially heal up had actually mended together quite nicely. I was worried that I'd have problems out of them or that they'd leave a nasty scar. In fact, you have to look closely to even tell that an incision is there 'cause it's so faint. Now if I can just fade the scars from the silk tape blisters I'd be a happy camper. I had no idea that I was allergic to silk tape.

I know that I kept seeing a watery substance running on my abdomen right after surgery and thought that was normal, but when the doctor came in to take the silk tape off so that he could look at my incision we discovered that I had two big tape blisters. He gave me a tube of neosporin to put on them during the day and they're fine. They dried up fairly quickly and now I just put some cocoa butter on them to see if they will fade out.

Let me know how you're doing.
Unread 04-02-2002, 04:51 PM

Hey, Cosmocyndi, I'm just checking on you to see that you're being a good girl and doing what you're supposed and NOT supposed to do. :devil:

I hope that things are going well for you. Drop us a line to let us know how you're progressing.

Your Hystersister, Paula.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 08:37 AM

Hi again,

I'm up to let's see....17 days post op today.

Things are looking up....still have quite a ways to go. My tapes are off.....I an now bend enough to shave my legs properly. It took me a week and a half before I could get to them well enough and it was driving me nuts. lol

My energy level is better. I don't usually take a nap like the first week but I do lay down a bit as needed as to how I am feeling.
I have mastered the steps up and down like once/twice a day for exercise and know that that is definately my limit. It pulls different muscles and I don't like that too much. I feel bad for those of you that had to immediately go up and down the steps.

I can see that the hubby and son are like done pampering me.
I just reminded my husband last night that my belly hurt and he told me to quit doing so much and then I said that he should have cleaned/helped with the kitchen afterwards and then I wouldn't be so sore. ouch. He was cool with it. I got him to put some laundry in for me. I can fold standing with the clothes on the bed so that they are within my reach.

I can roll better at night on my side with a nice fluffy pillow and not have the incision pulling so much. My back killed me for almost 2 weeks after.

Well, there's your update for today! Thanks so much for all the caring out there with my recovery! It's great knowing you all are out there for me and others!

until next time....
cosmocyndi
Unread 04-04-2002, 02:29 PM

Hey, Cosmocyndi, I know what you mean about significant others helping out. I have to remind my boyfriend that I still can't carry anything too heavy, but he doesn't give me any problems about it. He just forgets and so do I sometimes and then I remember half way up that I shouldn't be doing that. It's a very hard habit to get into when you're so used to doing it. I used to have to carry heavy items for my mother when she was sick like carrying an armload of groceries into the house so that I could limit my trips to the car. Now it's a hard habit to break. (LOL)

I'm so glad to know that you're still taking it easy and I hope that you continue to recover. I have my 4th week post-op checkup tomorrow and I'm hoping to return to work soon.
It's been so nice being away from work, even if I am recovering from surgery. I do know that next week I'll have to recondition myself not to stay up 'til 4am and then go to sleep. It'll be hard I know.

Anyway, glad to know that you're doing fine. Keep up the good work.
Unread 04-04-2002, 02:56 PM

Hi-

I am new to hyster sisters, but your posting gave me hope. I am scheduled for surgery on Monday, April 8th, and am alittle nervous. I hope to feel better and am worried about the recovery, as I am not one to lay around.

I am 42 years old and am having a total abdominal hysterectomy. I have severe endometriosis and fibroids. I have quite a bit of medical knowlege, but I am still nervous.

I hope to recover sooner than the expected 4-6 weeks. I have only had a laparoscopy before, and I recovered very quickly from that surgery. I think your walking around the house every day is good, and I intend to do as much of that as possible. With the weather getting nicer, I hope to walk outside too.

I hope you don't mind my writing...I was inspired by your recent surgery, as I have only 4 days to go. Thanks. 2ndtwinsister
Unread 04-04-2002, 03:15 PM

Hi, 2ndtwinsister, welcome to the site !! We are glad to have you.

There's lots of information here from punctured princesses who've been to the castle. It's really helpful to get information from people that have "been" there, if you know what I mean.

Here's what I did to make things a little easier for me.

First of all, I went ahead and got my pain meds filled before going in so that I wouldn't have to bother my family with taking care of that for me.

Next, my brother and sister-in-law had prepared the room downstairs for me, but I also had them to put a tray table next to the bed so that things were easily accessible to me like the breathing apparatus I brought back from the castle (I know there's a name for it, I just can't think of it right now). The nurses will have you to do this during the day to see how you're doing and then coughing 5-10 times so that you won't build up any fluids in your lungs. It may hurt a little trying to cough, but keep at it as it gets better. Just be sure to use your pillow to hold your "swelly belly" when you cough and ESPECIALLY if you have to sneeze. Luckily for me, I didn't have to sneeze much while at the castle.

As far as my luggage was concerned, I took some sanitary pads with me just in case (not thinking that they'd give me some in the castle) and some other hygiene items in an overnight bag to keep with me. Then I had my family take my rolling cart with my other clothes and items to their house for my 1-1/2 week stay with them. You might want to think about getting a 3-pair pack of larger underwear until you can get back into your others. I did this 'cause I didn't want anything tight around by belly and it helped a lot.

Two things to remember; (1) if you get sick from anesthesia, PLEASE have them give you something before and during surgery as this will help with the nausea. It gives me awful hurls and I made a point to mention this during my pre-op assessment and then again at the castle before they took me for surgery, and (2) if you are allergic to silk let the doctor know so that he won't put silk tape over your incision to cover the staples/stitches. I had developed tape blisters when the doctor took the tape off and I had to use some Neosporin to keep them from getting infected.
I had no idea that I was allergic to silk tape, but they can cover your incision with some other type of tape.

Once you get going to the bathroom, it's hard to bear down, so take your time and you will have gas pains that hurt like heck, but even that, too, passes away. I had the nurses to give me something for the gas so that it wouldn't hurt so much. Nothing nerve shattering, but just darned uncomfortable, especially with your "swelly belly". Even now, with me being 4 weeks post-op, sometimes I get gas that hurts a little. I guess this is all par for the course, but it's getting much better. It just takes awhile before your body is back to normal 'cause, after all, it's been put through a lot and things have been moved around to accommodate your surgery. Nerve endings have to regenerate and muscle layers have to mend back together. Right now, I'm looking forward to being able to exercise my belly, but I know that's going to take a minute !!! I'm content with that, I guess.

My advice to you is to take it VERY easy and move slowly, although you won't have much choice on the latter. (Lots of laughs).

I hope your recovery is speedy and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. Keep us updated and after surgery, when you feel like it, meet us in the Post-Op chat box.

Take it easy, Paula.
Unread 04-04-2002, 03:16 PM
About medicine reaction..

Hey Cosmocyndi: You mentioned earlier that you had a complication with a medicine they gave you right after the operation..can you tell us which medicine it was..?

I am so worried about complications due to meds because I am very allergic to everything..and medicines usually hit me harder than normal people..

just wondering..

debz
Unread 04-05-2002, 10:20 AM
Welcome!

Hi, 2ndtwinsister! Welcome to HysterSisters! Glad you found us and that you're getting some support here. I must say that a laparoscopic surgery is much different from a hyst where ligaments and blood vessels are cut and where there are numerous sutures. It is fairly invasive surgery that causes swelling (more with abdominal than a vaginal hyst), and it does take 6-8 weeks for the tissues to heal. Healing even continues up to 6-12 months. You have to let the tender tissues rest without stress in order for them to heal well--no lifting, stretching, heavy housework (including vacuuming), or standing on your feet for long periods of time. Short easy walks during the first two weeks are about the only activity you should be doing! Even sitting upright at the computer can put pressure on healing stitches, so it's best to rest with feet up as much as possible. Then you can slowly increase activities, but nothing too strenuous until your dr releases you after your 6 week check. You have to be kind to your body while you're a pampered princess! s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 04-08-2002, 10:55 AM

Hi Dancindebz,

You know what, I'm not sure what anesthesia caused me to have
a reaction. I know that the anesthesiologist told me right before the operation which 2 he would chose from, but I can't remember. I will ask the dr. when I go for my check up. My reaction was swollen red blotches on my face that went away by the next day. Mom and hubby was concerned when they first saw me. Mom kept putting a cool cloth on my face and by the next morning it went away. Because of all the confusion when I was in the hospital, I forgot to ask the dr. Pain was my concern. I'm sorry that I haven't been a big help. I looked on the bill from the hospital, but it did not list the direct drug.

Oh, my next posting will be in to post-hysterectomy sight. I guess this one has gotten a bit long. Please look for me there.

I will be praying for you and looking forward to you joining us all.
Many wishes your way.....

Cosmocyndi

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register