A checklist? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-27-2002, 10:50 AM
A checklist?

It seems to me I've either seen a list or seen mention of a list of things to have ready before your surgery date. I'm trying to get everything as ready as possible, both at home and at work, but I'm so sure I'm going to miss something obvious and since I'll be alone at home, forgetting something could be a major boo-boo for me.

Does such a list exist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2002, 11:01 AM
A checklist?

Hi, Melsevene! This list is on the pull-down menu on the home page for LIW. http://www.hystersisters.com/list.php I found that I didn't need a lot of those things since most of us are only in the castle 2-3 days. The other things for after surgery I bought ahead of time were large granny underwear (if TAH), loose comfortable clothes, and a light-weight patio chair to use in the shower. Sounds like you're planning and getting ready to be a good princess! s
Ruthie
Unread 03-27-2002, 12:29 PM
HI

I too would say pack light. I never read the book or listened to the tapes I brought etc.
I did use my socks, slippers, toiletries, pen & paper. And I did wear my hystersisters cover-up. But then I was in for 6 days. I put it on after the catheter and IV came out.
In addition to the other things that have been mentioned the "grabber" was a real nice to have too. You can get it at the pharmacy or hospital supply store. I had a bad case of the "dropsies" when I came home and it made it possible to pick things up myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2002, 07:48 AM
A checklist?

Thanks ivestaffer and Seeshelley.
That list for the hospital seems rather... extensive and cumbersome. I figure I won't be in that place long, so I'm more worried about what I should have ready at home - is there a list for that? I'm trying to come up with some foods that I can prepare and freeze beforehand that may be something I'll want to eat in the first couple of weeks, when I may not feel like cooking. Also, I've picked up paper cups and plates, so I won't have to worry so much about dishes those first couple of weeks. I've got lots of books, but no vcr so I won't worry about stocking up on movies. I'll pick up lots of Gatorade and cranraspberry juice (going without pepsi will kill me!!!) and little bottles of water, but are there things I'm just not thinking of?

I really need to be as prepared as possible, given that I will be alone and live about a half hour drive from family and friends, so they won't be just popping in to check on me on a daily basis.
Unread 03-28-2002, 08:09 AM
A checklist?

Hi,
Sounds like you are off to a good start on getting things set up at home. I drank lot's of cranberry juice too and still am.
Be sure you have the Gax-X and Stool softener handy and your prescription filled for pain med's. I also take Tylenol PM to help me sleep.
I would stick with fairly soft foods for the first few weeks. Soups, sandwich, ice cream, yogurt, cereal, fruit My appetite was fairly light in the beginning so I didn't gain any weight which was nice.
I love to read but just didn't feel like it the first few weeks. Maybe the anesthesia and pain med's clearing out. You might be different in this respect. But I was happy just to watch TV. Have you thought of renting a VCR? Just a thought, but it might be pretty reasonable if you are a movie buff.
You are going to do just fine I'm sure.
Keep us posted, okay.
Unread 03-28-2002, 12:28 PM
A checklist?

one thing I saw in the book " Thru the Land of Hyster" was the suggestion to make DH a surgery waiting bag. I made one for my DH with a mag he liked,candy, gum and a list of who to call when surgery was over.I stuck post it notes in the mag with little comments to make him smile while he waited for me. He really loved it. Good Luck Paula

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register