Pre-op and Terrified | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op and Terrified Pre-op and Terrified

Unread 03-27-2002, 11:09 AM
Pre-op and Terrified

I am scheduled for a possible vaginal or abdominal hysterectomy on April 9th. I trust my doc, but am concerned that he wants to do a spinal instead of a general. My problem is I have had twilight before during an endoscopy and I ripped the tube out. I suppose you could say I am not a good patient. The only time I have been in the hospital was to have my tonsils out, have my kids and have my tubes tide. I am also trying to quit smoking before I go in.....Any suggestions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2002, 12:08 PM
Hi Judy

I'm sorry you are feeling terrified. I know this is alot to deal with. Please accept a We are here for you.
Also, please discuss your concerns with your doctor about the spinal vs. the general. If you really want a general anesthesia please let him know. What you are given should be a mutual decision between you, your doctor and the anesthesiologist.
I was glad to have the general myself and it worked well for me. Many women who post here were glad to just have the spinal.
But we are all different and this is your body and peace of mind that is being effected.
Keep us posted on what you decide.
Good luck on stopping :smokin: You can do it!
Hang in there...Waiting is the worst
Unread 03-27-2002, 12:22 PM
Pre-op and Terrified

Discuss the spinal with your doctor, but I am scheduled for a TAH on April 2, 2002 and I will be asking for the spinal. I'm a nurse and have watched many of these procedures and taken care of people in recovery and post-op. I've also had 3 abdominal procedures previously with general anesthesia. Coming out of the general was the worst part for me. Don't worry-- a spinal will provide adequate anesthesia so you won't feel anything for the surgery. I just found this site today-- what a great place for everyone to discuss our fears and concerns! There is certainly alot of support here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2002, 06:01 PM
Pre-op and Terrified

I had an epidural. I was awake (groggy) in the OR and asked to be put to sleep completely. It wasnt painful or anything, I just felt better not hearing what was going on. When I woke up in recovery I had no nausea or any weird feeling. I will definiately want to do it the same way if I ever have to have surgery again.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register