Dreading the day | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dreading the day Dreading the day

Unread 03-27-2002, 12:52 PM
Dreading the day

Just found out today I will need a complete hysterectomy. It all started with needing a hernia operation and everything just kind of mushroomed. I am scared to death! I did not know that I could have these kind of feelings after finding out I was going to have a hysterectomy. I feel like I am losing what makes me a woman. I also have fibromyalgia and suffer from severe depression. I am not sure what I will be like afterwards! I have had abdominal surgery before with 2 c-sections so I know the kind of physical recovery that will involve. It's the emotional recovery I am worried about. Anyone out there that can empathize? I really need all the help I can get. My surgery is April 5.

Thanks,
Joanna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2002, 01:13 PM
Dreading the day

Hi Joanna, and welcome to the best site on the web. I'm so glad you found us. We'll be here to help you every step of the way.

I do not have Fibromyalgia however I have chatted with several ladies who do. Hopefully they will see your post and reply to you. Join us in chat though - you'll be able to have real time conversations with them if they happen to be there.

Best wishes. This is a difficult time - the wait is very hard.

Hugs,
Unread 03-27-2002, 01:25 PM
Dreading the day

Hi, Joanna,

I think most women would agree that hysterectomy brings out all sorts of emotions. This is major surgery, and that's a little scary. We're talking about the removal of our female reproductive organs, and whether a woman has given birth or not, we place great value on those organs. Afterwards, will I still be a woman? What kind of a woman? Maybe I wanted to give birth in the future! Will I be old? Fat? Gray? Wrinkled? Will I still be desirable? Will it hurt? How much? For how long? Will I have problems afterwards? What if...

Does any of this sound familiar? Welcome to Hystersisters. Most of us have had feelings just like the ones I had before my hysterectomy. I was so glad to find this website!

I had a long history of infertility and chronic clinical depression. My cycles became irregular, and my periods lasted longer. The bleeding got heavier, and I ended up seeing three different doctors. I tried medical and minor surgical treatments. Nothing helped. Eventually, the bleeding became extremely heavy, and many days I couldn't leave the bathroom. It was time for a hysterectomy.

I described my feelings and worries in the first paragraph of this post.

I had a TVH/BSO. My recovery took six weeks. I take hormone replacement therapy, and I feel great. I am much more active than before my surgery, and I feel much better. I gained a few pounds, and lost them. I don't feel old, and I'm no grayer than before. My husband still loves me, and our love life is good.

I took antidepressants before my surgery. I'm on the same meds, same dose, and although I was moody for awhile after my surgery, I haven't felt depressed. Emotional ups and downs after a hysterectomy aren't uncommon.

I am still a woman.

If you have a hysterectomy, your experiences may be different. Unfortunately, nobody can guarantee how you'd feel afterwards. Some women experience complications.

Having a hysterectomy has improved my life.

Hystersisters helped me a lot. It's always OK to vent here. If you need us, please visit the Aching Hearts forum, where I'm a Hostess. Good luck with your surgery, and you have a lot of Hystersisters who care about you now.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2002, 02:18 PM
Dreading the day

((((Joanna)))))

Hi! Welcome to HysterSisters!! I am so glad you found us!!

Mary Sue and Helen are so right!! This is a WONDEFUL place to be! Whether you just read the posts, start a post, read and start and reply to posts, join us in the Chat Room...or ALL of the above! I don't think you would be able to find the loving, caring, understanding, and compassionate ladies anywhere else on the net like you've found here!

To answer your question about Fibromyalgia, I have it too and so do a lot of other sisters here. Can I suggest that you do a search on the HS board for fibromyalgia or fibro, or fms? I know that I've replied to many of threads regarding fibromyalgia here.

My experience has been that my fibromylagia did flare after surgery, but I believe partly due to inactivity during the inital post-op days.

Keep posting, try that search, and PLEASE stop into the Chat Room...you can get 'real time' hugs and support there from the wonderful ladies just like yourself. We may not have all the answers, but we will sure support you all the way through your journey!

Love & 's

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register