HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

years post hysterectomy stomach swelling after exercise years post hysterectomy stomach swelling after exercise

Unread 01-25-2014, 06:33 AM
years post hysterectomy stomach swelling after exercise

Hello Ladies, I'm 3 years post hysterectomy and very athletic. After doing extreme workout of pull ups, etc. stomach swelled for 2 months and eventually went down. Have avoided core exercises since but mopped floors (stomach muscles( and swelling again. Anything tight around my waist causes cramping and swelling. Has anyone experienced this at all? Any help is SO appreciated!!
Unread 01-25-2014, 07:48 AM
Re: years post hysterectomy stomach swelling after exercise

Is this something that has recently started? At 3 years post op, abdominal swelling shouldn't be a factor. "Swelly belly" shouldn't be a concern after healing from your hysterectomy. It might be a good idea to let your doctor know about this.
Unread 01-25-2014, 08:24 AM

Thanks so much for responding Catherine! Actually on a personal note, hubby hit vaginal cuff when intimate 2 weeks before original swelling and cramping issue. Did see my doctor who said cramping was from that but passed off the swelling mostly due to menopause belly. Cannot wear anything against my waist increases cramping and swelling. Starting to think hubby hit intestines as I have pain when pressing in area that he hit. Have another appointment in a month with gyno but thought maybe someone had similar issues?:confused
Unread 01-25-2014, 08:34 AM

"Menopause belly" sounds like a concept created by male doctors to allow them to blow off complaints from female patients. I had my last period almost five years ago and have yet to see any signs of "menopause belly."
Unread 01-25-2014, 10:00 AM

It sounds like maybe it's the common response when doctors don't have an answer? My OB is a female and patted my stomach when I was on the way out referring to the menopause belly, very frustrating because she is usually very thorough and knowledgeable..
Unread 01-25-2014, 10:12 AM

There *are* a couple of things that can happen as you get older. One is that your muscles become soften and become less resilient - it takes more work to keep them in shape. This includes your abdominal muscles. But if you're "athletic" and given to doing "extreme workouts," this should not be an issue for you.

The other thing that happens is that due to less estrogen after menopause, women become more likely to deposit fat on their bellies, the way men do. *If* you gain weight, it's likely to end up on your belly. But if your belly is swelling and you *haven't* gained any weight (see athletic, extreme workouts, etc.) then something else is happening.

So, yeah, "menopause belly" may be an issue for women who are sedentary and/or who gain weight after menopause. But it's not the one-size-fits-all explanation that too many doctors seem to think it is.
Unread 01-25-2014, 10:30 AM

I did a google search and found that there is something called 'menopause belly'. Here's just one link I found:

Menopause Belly Fat

Google "menopause belly" and you'll see that although some women do not experience it, there is such a thing. However, I think that is different from what you are experiencing since yours will subside and then reappear.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway