The Date is Set !!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The Date is Set !!! The Date is Set !!!

Unread 03-27-2002, 03:49 PM
The Date is Set !!!

Well, I was handling this pretty well until they called with the surgery date - I'm going to the Southwest General Hospital castle on Monday, April 15th. Have to be there at 6:00am, which I'm glad - at least I won't have to worry very long that day. Not sure what he is going to do - he was not happy with the clarity of the pictures and determined after a second reading the fibroids had to come out. He will make the decision about the uterus and ovaries once he gets in there. He has promised to keep everything that is healthy.

I'm keep telling myself things will be fine, but as you all know the nerves can sometimes get the best of ya.

Thank you again for all the support!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2002, 05:11 PM
The Date is Set !!!

Hi, Delarbar,

I had to be at the hospital by 6:30 AM on my day, and it really does help to get there early and be taken into surgery early in the day.

I am a little bit confused - are you scheduled for a hysterectomy or for only the removal of fibroids, if that can be done without the hyster? Did you ask him to repeat whatever the tests were that didn't come out clear? Is he planning to do a laparoscopic procedure? If you are not sure what he plans to do, you might want to call him back and ask for another talk with him.

Oh - in your post you say your date is April 15th - but in your profile it says the 14th.

I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

's

Karen
Unread 03-28-2002, 03:56 PM
The Date is Set !!!

Ooops - the date is the 15th. I will fix my profile today !!

He repeated all of the tests - 2 ultrasounds, 2 vagina ultrasounds (not sure of the right name) - CAT scan. The problem is I am overweight and my bowel was in the way.

The original reading by the radiologist was an enlarged uterus and fist size fibroid on the upper left. They could not determine if it was attached to the ovaries or not.

My doctor was not happy with the report and obtained the pictures from the radiology department. He took the pictures and reviewed them with a radiologist he prefered and they found that the uterus was enlarged, there was an orange size fibroid on the upper left and it was not attached to the ovary. They also found several smaller ones on the right side.

Originally he thought cancer was a possibility, but the tests came back negative. With fibroids on mom's side and colon cancer on dad's side his thoughts were to remove the fibroids and the uterus, leaving the ovaries intact. After talking with my family doctor and the ob/gyn, we decided that the best way to handle was to go in with those intentions. If he finds something different on the ovaries, he will make a decision at that time.

I am going to question him again next week to be sure we are on the same page.

Barb

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register