Endometrial Ablation | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial Ablation Endometrial Ablation

Unread 03-27-2002, 06:54 PM
Endometrial Ablation

I just started seeing a new GYN recently. I have always had very painful periods, and over time and after 3 babies, my bloodflow is very heavy for the first several days every month, and the strongest painkiller they will give me does not take away all the pain. I was told during my last of 3 C-sections that I had fibroid tumors. My new doctor told me after doing an internal sonogram that there is only one tiny fibroid that they could see, and a polyp. He said the polyp is what is causing the pain and heavy bleeding, and wanted to do a D&C and an Endometrial Ablation using balloon therapy. I did some research, and right in the pamphlets they gave me, it said ablation is contraindicated for patients with more than 1 c-section. I had to point out to him that I had 3, even though it was clearly stated more than once in my medical history. Now he wants to do a D&C and hysteroscopy, and a partial ablation in the areas away from the c-sectioned portion of my uterus. In my research, I have found info staing that many ablation patients have to have the procedure repeated later, and some have to still have hysterectomies because the ablation did not help. I also read that one year after surgery, 100% of hysterectomy patients are satisfied with the results, while a high percentage of ablation patients are not. I would like to get the suffering over with and just have the hysterectomy, leaving my healthy ovaries and cervix, but my doctor does not want to. I do not like the idea of the patchwork procedure he is suggesting. I'm 41, not planning on any more kids. Any feedback from anyone? I think I am going to change doctors. I don't like that he was all ready to do a procedure on me that could have seriously compromised my health and safety. What else might he miss?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2002, 07:32 PM
Endometrial Ablation

Hi there- I just read your post and I have the same problems you do. After having 3 babies, although mine were vaginal deliveries, my periods got out of control. My doctor put me on the pill and that didn't work. Then I had the ablation about 2 years ago. They found the same things in my uterus that you have. Well, that only worked for a few months, now for the past year and a half I've been back to the extremely heavy and painful periods. I wanted a Hyst. right from the start, leaving my overies but my doctor didn't want to do one because of my age. I was 28 at the time. Well, finally I have had enough. I called him last week and demanded a Hyst. or I was going to find another doctor. He saw me the next day. He agreed that I should probably have one and we are in the process of getting the OK from my insurance company. If I were you, I'd probably switch doctors. I mean if this guy, doesn't even pay attention to the fact that you have had 3 C-sections, and still wants to proceed with the ablation...that would be a giant red flag to me. I can say though, however, the ablation was a breeze, and I'm sure a lot easier to have then the Hyst. I'm now demanding. My mom told me that she had to do the same thing with her doctor. She had the same problems as I do. She finally had to go in there, slam her fist down and say, "I want a hysterctomy!" She said her doctor said that was "all he needed to hear". I know that because if these ablations and balloon treatments, doctors don't want to have to do Hyst's much anymore. I know they are more risky etc. I guess I would either demand one or find a doctor that will do it. Then you might have to wrestle with your insurance company. I have heard stories from other women that thier insurance companies wanted proo of the problem and wanted to be sure EVERY possible treatment was given before they will OK a Hyst. I'm still waiting to hear from mine....keep your fingers crossed Sorry, to ramble on and on and I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted!

~Jodie
Unread 03-27-2002, 08:30 PM
Endometrial Ablation

I had an ablation in December. I've had 4 c-sections and the doctor who did my third c-section noted a lot of adhesions. I had never heard about not having an ablation after a c-section. That might explain the complications I suffered during it. I also have dysplasia and the doctor originally recommended a hysterectomy because of my heavy, prolonged periods and the dysplasia. She decided against the hysterectomy because she felt it would be too difficult with all the adhesions from the 4 c-sections. After the ablation I found a new doctor. He said my ablation was a failure. I was bleeding from before having the ablation until mid February when I saw him. At that time I was given a shot of lupron to stop the bleeding and told a hysterectomy was the best treatment- especially since I was still dealing with dysplasia that the first doctor was unable to treat. I wish I'd known about not having ablations after c-sections before I had it done. I had also been on bcp's even though I'd had my tubes tied, an lupron injections. I am finally close to the end of this. My hysterectomy is tomorrow.

I hope you can get your doctor to listen,
Cyndi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2002, 08:38 PM
to Abalte or not to Ablate...

Jodie,
Thanks so much for your response! I read more than once here that ins. might give me a hard time if I haven't (suffered through) tried alternate methods of resolving these painful periods. I might have to keep switching doctors till I find one to agree. Last one I had before this one wanted to do a vaginal hyst., nbut I want an abdominal one so I can also have tummy tucked at same time. Besides, I can't stand the idea of having it done vaginally. I've read alot over the last few weeks, and I feel like I know what I want. I don't want the ablation, I don't want the D&C, I don't want to be put on drugs, and I don't want to have to try several different procedures on a uterus I don't even want or need anymore!
I have enough knowledge and heard enough support here tonight to give me the drive and ammunition to seek a second oppinion.
Thanks again for your support, and I hope everything goes well for you too.
Sincerely,
Tina
Unread 03-27-2002, 08:44 PM
Endometrial Ablation

Oh my gosh Cyndi...I can't believe they did that with you after 4 c-sections! The weird thing to me was that nowhere in all the literature I read on the internet, did I find this info. It was right in the pamphlet the DOCTOR'S own office sent me home with!!! I couldn't believe it when I read it. I called him, left a message. When he calle dme back he said he "did not realize" I had had 3 c-sections, and that c-sections make the uterus thinner in the area of incision. So he wanted to to a partial ablation, which I don't like the sounds of at all. I have NEVER met a woman who regretted having a hysterectomy. But I keep reading bad ablation stories. Good luck with your situation, and thank you so much for responding!
Tina
Unread 03-27-2002, 08:48 PM
Endometrial Ablation

I had endometrial ablation three years ago at age 38 and after 2 C-sections and a prior D & C. The ablation procedure went great. I had no periods for the first year & a half and then gradually I started to have some occasional spotting for a year. Then suddenly for 6 months I had heavier periods that lasted 2 weeks each month. This caught me by surprise because I had no uterine lining left so something had to be causing the bleeding. I had developed some large fybroids that had grown in the muscle wall of the uterus. I had a LAVH on 2/8/02--uterus and cervix removed--kept both ovaries. Each person is different, but I am glad I had the ablation 3 years ago even though I did end up having a hysterectomy because it gave me 3 more years to "prepare" myself for a hysterectomy. I am 6 weeks post-op now and have had to problems since surgery.
Unread 03-28-2002, 03:39 AM
thanks

Thanks for your response Lynn. I hope you are feeling 100% again soon!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register