Medications Question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Medications Question Medications Question

Unread 03-27-2002, 09:12 PM
Medications Question

Hi,

I am on several meds for cancer, HBP, thyroid, etc. My question is do I bring them to the hospital with me or does the hospital provide what you need while there? I don't go for my preop at the hospital until the 8th, the day before my castle date.

Thanks for any help on this. I saw the gyn the first part of March and won't see him until surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2002, 09:28 PM
Your meds

Hi there Sharina

I would take all your meds to preop. This is so they can put all your information in the system before your surgery. The nurses & Dr's will know what your on and need and when you need it. Most hospitals have you leave your meds at home and supply what you need there. This is for safty reasons. Loss of items etc.. It is also best they know everything so there is no conflicting medications given to you that could have an adverse effect with the meds your on

Take care and hope this helps

Best wishes, please keep us posted on how your doing

Michele
Unread 03-28-2002, 05:14 AM
Bring them!

Hello Sharina,

Just a little note..... If I were you, I would go ahead and bring my meds with me to the hospital. Although the Dr. and nurses knew my meds I was taken, I was NEVER offered my own medications that I take on a daily basis...... I took them in my bag and took my a.m. meds by myself every a.m.

They took VERY good care of me at the hospital,but never offered my meds. I take a heart med every a.m. You may be lucky and they bring them to you. Word of caution: If no one is going to stay with you make SURE before you take your medicine that you don't get double doses at the hospital. ASK every pill that they give you! You will be on pain meds and not be thinking straight and get double dosed! Best of luck to you on your surgery. I am 10 days post op today and feel pretty good.....

((((Cheryl))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2002, 07:06 AM
Medications Question

Sharon, I am giving you advice here as both a nurse and a patient. You do NOT have to take your meds to the hospital with you. Just bring a list of them with you to your pre-op appt. Make sure you write down the names of the meds, proper dosages and the times of the day you take them. The rest will be taken care of by the hopital. They will give you any instructions concerning your pills. Hope this helps. Take care and good luck with your surgery.........

Emily s
Unread 03-28-2002, 08:17 AM
Medications Question

If it makes you feel more secure to take your meds with you to the hospital, then take them with you, but DON'T TAKE THEM without telling your caregivers FIRST! There could be interactions with the anesthesia or pain meds, and all meds taken need to be noted in your chart.
Unread 03-28-2002, 08:47 AM
Medications Question

Hi Sharina-

Im not sure where you are from but im from New Jersey and I will have to get something called a Medical Clearance from my General Practitioner as to how to take my medications before surgery and so they know what I need Post surgery as well. I have to admit I will be bringing my own personal prescriptions just in case the get it confused though!
Hope this helps you.

Jo
Unread 03-28-2002, 09:29 AM
Medications Question

I was required to bring ALL prescriptions meds (in their original containers) to the hospital with me.....even the ones that I didn't use on a daily basis.
The admitting nurse checked each bottle and wrote everything down then sent the medications home with my DH. During my hospital stay they provided me with the proper medications from their pharmacy.
Unread 03-28-2002, 06:18 PM
Medications Question

Thank you all so much for your posts. I really wasn't sure what to do. I will take them to the hospital with me to both the preop and when I actually go for the surgery. My DD will be with me as much as she can but has 4 girls at home to care for, so I will be alone a lot at the hospital. I will make sure she knows what is going on . Thank you again. Without my blood pressure and heart meds (3 of them), my BP skyrockets. Plus I was told not to miss the Tamoxifen.

Many thanks!!
Unread 03-28-2002, 06:37 PM
Medications Question

Must be a Minnesota thing. I was told to bring all my prescriptions in their original contain containers with me. The nurse will write them down and then the hospital will give them to me as prescribed.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register