Please help with some dumb ?'s Date is 4/25 and am really scared | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please help with some dumb ?'s Date is 4/25 and am really scared Please help with some dumb ?'s Date is 4/25 and am really scared

Unread 03-28-2002, 04:22 AM
Please help with some dumb ?'s Date is 4/25 and am really scared

Hi I only posted one time that was when I first found this site and I think it is wonderful, but I don't always have time to read all the messages. I have my date and it is 4/25 for a tah/bso and I am so afraid of losing both of my ovaries, actually my one ovary is wedged at my bladder and between another organ, so doc has another surgeon to assist in case there is damage to another organs while trying to get the ovary out. So this has me worried too. But there are sooo many things to do and get ready I need to what kind of pillow would be best?? Would a bed pillow work? And also my husband has a p/u truck that sits high and I have an Eagle Talon that sits low which would be easier to get in and out on way home from Hospital?? I hope these aren't stupid ?'s . My pre-op is 4/18. I am sure it will hit me pretty hard then. Also do I realy need all the things that I think Carol has on her hospital list and if not what would be the best things to take to hospital I will be there 3-4 days unless I have problems. I hope I get more time to spend on here soon this is a wonderful place. Thanks so much .
Ooops!! Thought of one more thing will I be able to get in and out of bed by myself at home the first or second day home? Thanks again!!!! (((((HUGS To Everyone)))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2002, 04:52 AM
What to Bring To the Castle

Hi There!

Welcome!

First of all, none of your questions are stupid at all! These issues are very important, and it's good that you are thinking of them!

I found that the smaller tummy pillow worked best for me. You can find a terrific one right here in the Hystersisters store!

Gosh, I think if I had to choose between high step into a truck or a low bend, I might be inclined to pick the high step - bending was not an easy task for me for the ride home from the castle!

I've copied and pasted my list from one of my earlier posts. Hope it helps!

THINGS I DID USE:
- TUMMY PILLOW!!
- backscratcher
- lip balm
- slippers
- my own night shirt/sleepwear
- oversize cotton 'unders' (comfy panties)
- pads (also used to protect my panties from the incision site drainage)
- toothbrush and toothpaste
- shampoo and conditioner
- comb/brush
- facial cleanser (I don't use soap on my face)
- Q-tips (to swab my ears after the shower)
- deoderant/antiperspirant (for after shower)
- lightweight cotton robe
- lotion
- ponytail holder (something to keep your hair from bugging you)
- some gals have also suggested bringing a PHONE CALLING CARD – great idea!

things I did not use:
- mirror (I did not care what I looked like!)
- socks (because I brought slippers)
- book to read (never felt like reading -- I was asleep every 20 minutes or so anyway)
- game to play (didn't feel like playing - TV kept me occupied between snoozes)
- change of clothes (I wore the same clothes leaving the castle as I wore when I checked in -- I just did not worry about the fashion police at that point)

...and I can't think of anything I should have brought but didn't...

NO VALUABLES!!!

I got out of bed just fine both in the castle as well as when I got home from the castle - though I know I've read about others who did need a hand at first.

Best wishes for you as you approach the castle!

((((((HUGS)))))))
Unread 03-28-2002, 05:42 AM

Hi shopbunny!

I have a honda prelude and dh has a chevy truck...we drove the truck because I found it easier to get up in the truck than to try and scrunch down into the honda!

The only things I took to the castle that I really used were:
toothbrush/paste
hairbrush
deodorant
slippers
my silky robe- I just used hospital gown because it was easier to get off/on and up down to go to the potty!
Didn't bring much else cause I didn't really care how I looked...just wanted to go home!!
The only thing I wish I had brought that toonces did was a backscratcher!!!!! I was itchy and some of the places I itched were too uncomfortable to reach!!!

I slept on the couch the first couple of days home..but when I did sleep in bed, I didn't have very much trouble getting in and out..

Best wishes to you in your upcoming surgery...Remember to stop by and post when you feel up to it!!!!

GinaG

:smokin:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2002, 06:40 AM

I agree with all of the above, except the truck vs. car thing. Although stepping up is easier than bending, they will help you from your wheelchair into the vehicle, so I don't know how much that's really an issue. The real issue is which vehicle has the best shocks! I road in a friend's pickup truck (nice and new one) at about 4 weeks post and thought my innards were coming out! There was considerable more bouncing in the truck than I experienced in my husband's station wagon. Also, bring a pillow to put between your belly and the seat belt.

I found that with all the pain meds, it's difficult to read, write or do puzzles, knit, etc. About all I had the concentration for was TV. And I wished I'd brought a TV guide because I had to flip the channels to figure out what was on all the time. Don't worry if you forget something if your husband or a friend can bring it to you. Back scratcher was like that for me. I asked my husband to bring it the first day in the hospital and it was a godsend!
Unread 03-28-2002, 06:52 AM

Hi, shopbunny -

I know I use the "dumb question" thing sometimes half jokingly, but do want to holler out in agreement with Toonses that honestly, NO question is stupid...except the one you don't ask 'cause you think it's stupid :-)

I'm with the others about probably preferring the step up, but just take it easy and let your husband help you.

Also the pillow info. I found personally that I used my hands instead of the tummy pillow in most cases, but in the car initially under the seatbelt it was perfect!

Had NO trouble getting in and out of bed. The nurses will help show you the best way to do this (you'll use your arms to help push you), and if they don't, ask them.

Great lists already of what to bring with you. I also had a very lightweight hair drier (my hair is short and I wash it everyday). You may want to check this with the hospital - sometimes they have something in the bathrooms for drying hair. Also, I brought a small radio (we used to call 'em transistor radios) with headphones, which was WONDERFUL. Stuck it on my favorite station and it perked me up! Some women have suggested one with tapes and bringing relaxation tapes. I just picked up a cheap one for $10 or something like that.

Are your fears about the ovaries (other than being wedged in there - and it sounds like your dr is taking good precautions about this) connected with concerns about HRT? I was freaked out by it. I was slightly perimenopausal beforehand, and had figured that I had 5-10 years to figure out what I wanted to do. This kind of goofed up my schedule. I can suggest you write down questions, ask your doctor, ask anyone you know who's taking hormones, and, in connection with that last part, check out the hormone jungle (it's in the drop down menu above) for tons of info. While my hormones are still getting themselves organized, I was put on estrogen (estradoil patch) in the recovery room, and am now on pills. They seem to be doing a good job so far.

Ask more questions anytime!

Hugs back to you!!!
Unread 03-28-2002, 07:13 AM
un asked questions are the only stupid ones :))

Hi there shopbunny

You have gotten a lot of great advice already. I thought I'd just add my 2 cents to

My list for the castle was

My own bed pillow (castle pillows just are not comfy)
A pillow for my tummy. it was smaller and easy to carry
Toothbrush & toothpaste
Slippers (slide on kind)
A light robe
Easy to wear cotten jammies (however, never used them due to bleeding)
Shampoo & conditionar
hair brush
Deoderant
chapstick ( a must)
Bottled water ( i don't like tap water here)
A phone card (castle was LD from home)
I took two books and never opened them
Facial cleansing desposible wash cloths (use Oil Of Olay) great stuff
panty liners & pads
Lotion
hair ties
And a comfy outfit to wear home

That was all i took and found i did not need anything else.

As for the car/truck issue. I am not sure it really matters either way. Which ever your comfortable with. Practice getting in and out of each on w/out using your abdomen mussles as much as you can. Either way it will prolly be somewhat of a struggle.

& keep on posting!
Michele
Unread 03-28-2002, 09:04 AM

Chapstick, a hair brush, toothbrush, toothpaste, and slippers were all I needed, wanted, or used while I was in the hospital. The clothes that I wore to the hospital I wore home. Didn't feel like reading, couldn't concentrate long enough, mainly slept, drank water, walked to the bathroom, and slept some more, talked on the phone a lot, and slept. I didn't bother with my own gown or pj's, since I was only going to be there two nights, and one of those was the night of surgery so decided I could live with a hospital gown. I wanted to travel as light as possible.

I have a T-Bird, low, getting into it would be easy enough, climbing out of it not so easy. DH's truck is quite tall, I'm 5'9", but it was a little too high. DS has a truck that's a little lower than Dad's so that's what I came home in.

Pillow tummy - I also used my hands instead.

Getting out of bed - easier than I thought it would be
Unread 03-28-2002, 10:40 AM
I am 4/25 also... yikes!!!

Hey Shopbunny!

OK, first time here... I just made the appt. yesterday... Are you feeling kind of sad? I mean, I didn't think I was, I thought I was OK with the decision until I made the appointment... so final.

Do you know how long you stay in the hospital? I mean, do we get out the same day?

Ovaries... keep em or get rid of them? What will you do?

I'm feeling like a stubborn little girl who doesn' t really want to do her homework. I don' t know any of the little initials for things, I don't know about pros/cons of ovaries... I am being a little bratty about it.

I'm pretty smart in my real life and wish someone, something would take charge of this thing so I wouldn't have to. Denial? Help me snap out of it! The date will come up soon, huh?

Unread 03-28-2002, 12:23 PM

from me
My DDH ( that`s darling darling hubby) bought me a cute stuffed panda bear that was sort of flat like a pillow with empty arms so I put my hands in the panda`s arms and carried him against my tummy when I walked,coughed or sneezed. It was a nice little" I love you" that he found for me. some large stuffed animals are soft like pillows and it made me feel young and loved while i was recuperating.
I didn`t need pads at hospital for drainage they provided them along with maternity panties . But anything you need your DH could bring to you. I took most of what everyone else has listed I also made my DH a surgery waiting bag with a magazine that he liked, goodies , gum and a list of who to call when I was out of surgery. I also stuck post it notes in the mag. with I love you and other little comments i would have said if I was with him.
Good Luck Paula
Unread 03-28-2002, 12:27 PM

Hi, EvaDiva -

Yep..De Nile sounds lovely :-) Check out this web site - it really won't feel like work, and you will honestly feel better knowing what's going on. But your reaction sounds very real - I know the feeling of just thinking, "let someone deal with all of this!" Not surprising at all, no matter how smart or assertive or strong we are. It's a time you just kind of want someone to take care of you.

The ovary decision - depending on what's wrong, it can be a big question (wasn't for me because of cancer possibility), but is one you need to make, with your doctor's help. DO read, and talk to your doctor.

I don't know of anyone who's had a hysterctomy & gotten out the same day - 2 to 4 is more likely, longer if you have more stuff done, and depending on which of those pesky initial things you have done :-). I was in on a Monday, out on Wednesday.

Keep tapping into this web site. You'll do fine! (And snap out of it, girl! There..did that help? :-))

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register