Insurance Dilemma | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Insurance Dilemma Insurance Dilemma

Unread 03-28-2002, 05:51 AM
Insurance Dilemma

I would first like to thank HysterSister Teresa R. for bringing insurance issues to my attention. If it had not been for her POST--I would have been stuck with a LARGE castle bill.
After six long months of waiting to get my TAH, the insurance company told me that I need a Non-Availability Statement (NAS) in order to have my procedure at the "civilian catle" on 4-4-02. For all sisters who are not military---this basically means that if a military physician has the "availability" to do my TAH, then a civilian physician cannot perform this procedure. At my pre-op appointment last week, no one at the castle told me I need this NAS in order to have the TAH!!!!!!
I have NEVER cried :cry: this hard. Mentally I have prepared myself for this TAH for months. Now I am having to take on the ardous task of fighting the insurance company and have very little time to do this!!!!. I am so fatigued from being anemic----I feel like someone has kicked me in the stomach! This means that my surgery will once again be postponed- I am an emotional wreck.
Thanks for allowing me to vent.
With warmest regards,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2002, 02:26 PM
Insurance Dilemma

Erin,
I requested a statement of non-availibility for my TAH,and was told no one ever gets refused. well, I did!

I went to Portsmouth Naval in VA, as I was within the 50 mile radius-- by 3 miles.

The care I received was excellent, and there was not the urgency to be pushed out of the hosp. too early.
The staff was professional and courteous- no shotage of caregivers, either!

What has been awful is the lack of communication between my civilian DR and Portsmouth. My surgery was delayed in part due to missing chart info.

I would suggest that you hand carry all your records to the military facility if you end up going there. It will reduce your stress level.You may even end up with a similar surgery date, as I did.
You have the right to appeal a denial, other sisters know more about this. I'm a recent member of the military community, so that's about all I can tell you.

Good Luck
Unread 03-28-2002, 04:33 PM
Insurance Dilemma

Truly understand how you feel!! I am still waiting, but I have faith that everything will work out fine. I know it is hard, but don't stress yourself out. You will need all of your strength for your recovery after your trip to the castle. Have you actually gone in to the insurance office or are you handling it over the phone? Face to face is always better. It always helps when they see that there is actually a person behind all of that paperwork and those numbers.
Praying for you and I am always here if you need a shoulder or some advice. (12 year military spouse here)
Sending you a great big
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2002, 06:25 AM
Insurance Dilemma

And this is our government that is suppose to be taking care of us??

Good Luck, and Best Wishes

archide

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register