Pre-Op Appt what to expect? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Appt what to expect? Pre-Op Appt what to expect?

Unread 03-28-2002, 08:44 AM
Pre-Op Appt what to expect?

This may be a dumb question...but what should I expect at my pre-op appt? having a TVH on 4-22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2002, 09:01 AM
HI Princesslba

There are NO dumb questions. This is a first time experience for all of us when we travel this road. We would not know what to do or expect with out each other. So welcome to HysterSisters and here's a BIG
I kind of think pre-op comes in two flavors. Your first big doctor's appointment where you get to (hopefully) ask alot of questions.
If you haven't seen it before here's a link to some questions you might want to ask.
http://www.hystersisters.com/questions.php
Then you will probably go to the hospital for pre-op work which includes:
Filling out Paper Work
Having Blood Drawn
Getting a chest X-Ray
A chat with the Pre-Op Nurse (more paperwork)

I think those are the basics. However you may need other things done depending upon your medical situation.

We're here for you and please let us know if you have more questions. And keep reading. Lot's of great information here.
Unread 03-28-2002, 09:16 AM
Shelley is right

There are NO dumb questions! You should have seen some of the ones I came up with, and some I still have and I'm 8 days preop! My preop consisted of bloodwork, urinalysis, and I have mitral valve prolapse so I had to have an EKG done. But that was something I personally had to have done because of prior heart conditions, something I was born with. I'm 39. I had my surgery on March the 20th. The first day of spring! What a wonderful gift for me for springtime. Although I'm sore, I feel wonderful. I cant wait for complete healing. I had a TAH and BSO with bladder suspension. So, I dont have anything left but a smile! LOL You ask away girlfriend ,, thats what we're all here for. 's to you, Mikki Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2002, 10:14 AM
There are NO DUMB Questions.

I understand where you are coming from. I too was afraid of dumb questions. What I did best before my visit was reading all of the 'Princess Stories' and the information for LIW. They both were a great help. They sparked questions for me...things I would not have thought of otherwise.

I've even called my Doctor since my pre-op visit to ask more questions!

Good Luck!
Unread 03-28-2002, 10:19 AM

I just came from my preop visit today. I'm 43, so I did not have to have an EKG (age 45 and up at my hospital), but I had bloodwork, filled out some paperwork, did the Admitting paperwork so will not have to do that on day of surgery, met with the preop nurse (she's also rotates into the PACU), and met with anesthesia, who asked basic health questions. I had a few questions for anesthesia, specific to my case, and she could not answer some questions since she was not giving my anesthesia, so those questions will be asked the day of surgery.

Hope that helps!
Unread 03-28-2002, 12:42 PM

Hi- Pricesslba No questions are stupid however I do feel like I have asked some. My surgery date is april 19 and I go to pre-op on the 4th. I will have many questions but I have had alot answered here.
Good Luck and keep us informed

~RuN-AbOuT~
Unread 03-28-2002, 12:53 PM

Well since we're asking dumb questions -
when I asked my DR about ovaries not working after surgery, she looked at me like I was nuts and said "you're young, why would your ovaries not work?" so is that something you only worry about if you're at menopuase age? I think I far from that, but I imagine I'll think that when I'm 55 too!

And before my lap a few years back, I had to take that stuff to clean out my system, if you know what I mean. It was awful and made me so very sick. No one has mentioned that yet, but will I have to do that again?

My pre-op visit is scheduled for 4/12 and my surgery for 4/16, gee that seems close together, doesn't it?

See, we can all come up with silly questions.
Unread 03-28-2002, 02:56 PM

Just back from my pre-op today. First had blood drawn at doctor's office; then off to hospital for pre-admission testing - blood clotting test (just a little prick and then they dab at it every 30 seconds or so to see how long it takes for you to stop bleeding - took me 7 minutes, I guess normal is under 15 minutes); EKG, and lots of paperwork. Met with anesthesia guy, who just asked a bunch of questions, listened to my heart. Then to the doctor this afternoon for an exam and sit down with her - she explained procedure, what she was going to do, what would happen after the surgery, what I could expect at home, etc. Then she said "we have a date for Monday, I promise I'll be rested!" and gave me a hug. I love my doctor!

So pre-op for me was easy and uneventful!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register