Ovaries: Keep them or dump them? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries:  Keep them or dump them? Ovaries: Keep them or dump them?

Unread 03-28-2002, 11:03 AM
Ovaries: Keep them or dump them?

Oh, I need some help...

First, let me say I have been dwelling here for a bit, reading a lot and trying to learn something and finally got my courage up to post. I want to be a "giver" on the board someday but right now I am a bit of a "taker."

I don't know the initials for things on the board yet... sorry! I need to have my "mega-firoid uterus" taken out. Expeirencing pain from it (not to mention the huge periods and just gut swelling gross-ness.)

Let me also say, I'm feeling totally bratty about my surgery, I don't want to be in charge of this project (the project being me) and I have NOT made a real effort to know the things I should know. Denial? Perhaps...

The doctor said it was my decision. Here is the thing: I don't really like the hormones that I DO have! (will they be the same if I keep the ovaries... moods, un-lady-like hair growth, huge booby swelling hormones...) I was hoping to feel the way I did when I was about 25... without all that crazy hormone stuff.

Please... any opinion welcome! Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2002, 11:27 AM
Hi

Eva, I had decided to try and keep one of my ovaries if I could. But once the dr got in there there was no way I could keep either of them. They both had to come out. So, I didn't really have a choice. He immediately started me on HRT before I even left the surgical room. He placed a patch on me and that is what I am using now. I am 8 days post op and I feel great. No problems with the patch yet but I know I have a long way to go. I have to change it only twice a week, on Wed. and Sat. , so it's really easy to remember and no problem at all. Good luck with your decision. You may check out the hormone jungle forum for more info that you may need. 's to you, In Christ, Mikki Jo
Unread 03-28-2002, 11:47 AM
They're OUT...for me anyway

After three years of cancer scares, I thought of my ovaries as ticking cancer bombs. I got them out and I'm so relieved I did. I, too, am on an estrogen patch (Climara) but mine is a once a week deal. I'm a week and a day post op. I've had a couple of little bitty things I attribute to hormones...one day while still in the hospital I felt heat radiating off of my upper lip, then leave, then back, then leave. If that's not some fruitcake hormone reaction, I don't know what is. I had two night sweats also while still in the hospital, just while my body was adjusting. Since being home I've just felt grand...in that way. I'm sore and I exhaust easily, but I have been in a good mood, no crying jags, no other weird symptoms. My doctor said I could take my HRT anyway I wanted, orally or by patch, daily, semi-weekly, weekly, whatever, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm sticking with this Climara. Lots of women have that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory regarding their ovaries, too. My brother-in-law who is an OB/GYN said that there is a one in 70 chance you will get ovarian cancer with your ovaries. There is a 1 in 100 chance without them. I liked those odds. : )

Kath
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2002, 12:21 PM

I am 41 years old and kept both my ovaries. I was not ready for menopause yet. I could have another 5-10 years of usefelness from those ovaries. I think the decison to keep or not to keep ovaries is a personal decision and a lot of factors apply. (Age, condition of ovaries, etc.) Before you decide just remember that once they are removed you cannot put them back. I am 6 weeks post-op and feeling pretty good---definately glad I kept the ovaries.
Unread 03-28-2002, 12:36 PM

I kept mine, since I am only 33 the doctor recommended it. So far they seem to be working ok, only a temporary shock to them right after surgery. The monthly symptoms do not seem to be as bad either. But then again, I did have a major headache for a week right around that time. We'll have to see how it goes...

cyaple
Unread 03-28-2002, 01:16 PM

I had my TAH/BSO on 2/28. Since I am 47, the doctor recommended that he take both of them. This was due to my age. He suggest anyone over 45 to remove them. Why take a chance of cancer!!! Of course it was my decision. I decided to remove both of them. Of course, it didn't matter because when he did the surgery they were both covered with endo, so they would have to come out anyway.

I am also on Climara and I have been since the day of surgery. I started out on .05mg, but it was increased to .1mg due to minor problems. I feel good. I keep waiting for the PMS to kick in and quess what.....It's not!!!

Good luck in your decision

Nancy
Unread 03-28-2002, 01:39 PM

I am 2 1/2 weeks post-op. I had both ovaries removed. The right one had to go so I decided to take the other one. I am 47 and had all the menopausal symptoms. I feel great and all the symptoms have went away. I am on Estatest. It is a very personal decision. Take care.

Deb
Unread 03-28-2002, 01:40 PM

I keeping mine. My pre-op was yesterday (TVH April 1st) and after a long conversation with my doctor, I decided due to my age keeping them would be the best thing for me. I'm 31, and I may not start menopause for another 20 years. I can't see taking HRT for 20 yrs before my body is actually ready for menopause.

Good luck with your choice.
Unread 03-28-2002, 02:13 PM
Sounds like a new TV reality show

I am 42, and got to keep mine. It's still early,but I'm happy with the decision.
There are sound medical reasons to keep them to aid in prevention of heart disease and osteoporosis.

I think it depends on your family medical history, age, and other factors.
Unread 03-28-2002, 03:24 PM

This was probably the most difficult decision of my life. My doc said they must come out because of my age (45), they were failing anyway, and he did not want to go back in a year later which is common. I lost over 15 pounds, take Estrace 1mg., and have a libido back that I thought I lost!!! Ovaries? For me, it ended up being a good ideato have them out. I feel 12 again! Sure, taking HRT is a bit scary, but it really was the only choice for me. Do lots of research and talk to your doc one on one.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register