Ovaries: Keep them or dump them? - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries:  Keep them or dump them? Ovaries: Keep them or dump them?

Unread 03-28-2002, 04:38 PM
ovaries or not

Oh dear!
Just when I thought I was all set I have to read this thread. I was planning on keeping my ovaries but one month off the pill and I got SUPER PMS like you would not believe! Instant deja vu to the old days 2 yrs ago before I started the pill. I had to stop because of high blood pressure (it has since gone down) and I was ready to rip off my primary MD's head when he told me to stop checking my blood pressure and wait a couple of weeks and let him check it. I thought , HOW IRRESPONSIBLE!, but.....he was right and don't you just hate it when a man's right? My DR (the gyn, female, thank god), told me I would probably still have pms with my ovaries and I had forgotten how painful ovulation has become until after I talked with her and it came back. Now that I recall the waking up at 2am with the feeling I've been shot in the ovary with a bullet, I'm wondering if I should just yank them out or not. I will be 44 years young 2 weeks after my visit to the castle. I have a pre-op appointment in 5 days. I do want to have my own nasty hormones, but I don't like the pain or the extreme pms. i probably don't have too many good hormone producing years left but if birth control can raise my BP, what will HRT do? Please, if anyone has a similiar story please tell me about yours.
Thanks,
Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2002, 06:31 PM
Ovaries: Keep them or dump them?

I kept mine, on the theory that if it ain't broke, don't yank it.

Also, ovaries keep working after menopause. I guess I just don't understand looking at them as ticking time bombs, unless there's a family or personal history of cancer, or you already know there's something wrong with them. They're there for a reason. They keep functioning throughout your life. Unless there's a good reason to take 'em out, why not use the hormone-producing system nature gave you?

I do hear that PMS tends to diminish post-hyst in women who keep their ovaries. I also hear that even if you keep your ovaries, you might go through early menopause if you have a hyst. <shrug>

Personal choice, I guess.

Melissa
Unread 03-29-2002, 05:23 AM

If you keep your ovaries and they eventually shut down, that alone isn't reason enough to go back in and have them removed. You don't have to remove ovaries just because they don't work.

This is a decision has to be made between you and your doctor. Make sure you're comfortable with whatever you decide, because there's no going back. I listened to my doctor when he said he'd be removing the ovaries because of my age. I expected to start HRT and everything would be fine. I couldn't have been more wrong. I found out after my surgery that I have a blood clotting disorder and will never be able to take hormones. I have to live with the hot flashes, night sweats, and the increased risk of osteoporosis. I can take extra vitamins and there are things that make my hot flashes more bearable, but I sure wish now that I had my ovaries back. Not only that, but HRT can get very expensive, especially if you want the bio-identical hormones.

I've listed a couple of links below that will provide you with something to consider while you are making your decision. Why don't you print them and bring them with you when you next visit the doctor? I'm sure that together, you'll make the right decision for you.

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...&threadid=8076

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=10987

One final thing...let me ask you this question. Would you ask your doctor to remove your ovaries even if you were not having a hysterectomy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 05:44 AM

Catherine,
Thank you so very much. Your final question has put my thoughts in the right direction.
Donna
Unread 03-29-2002, 06:13 AM
Big Thanks all around!!!

Well, thanks to you girls, I am beginning to feel a bit more responsible about this "project."

A little more... denial comes easily to me!

You have me thinking and I promise to do more research about it... I know it just depends on all of my "factors"...

What support! This site rules the school! Many, many thanks.
Unread 03-29-2002, 06:31 AM

46 yrs. old here - had both ovaries removed and am very glad I did. Started on the Vivelle patch right away and have been very happy with it! I don't think you said your age - sometimes that will greatly influence your decision. You can always leave it open with your dr. and let him/her look when they do your hyster. and see what condition your ovaries are in....
Unread 03-29-2002, 06:40 AM
ICAM Catherine!

Hi, my surgery is scheduled for 4/25 and intend to tell my doctor to leave the ovaries alone, as long as they're healthy.

I liked your final question, do you just have them remove them as long as they're going to have you opened up anyway? I kinda asked a male doctor the same thing. He started talking about removing my ovaries, because of the risk of ovarian cancer, I asked him if the fact that I had dyspasia would put me at more of a risk for that and he said no. So then I asked him this question:

So, if you were told you should have your testicles removed because you just might develop testicular cancer, would you do it?

He never answered my question! I think he was offended but I really didn't say it to be mean, I just thought he should look at it from a woman's point of view.

Doctors kinda go by a rule of thumb, that if your 45 or older you should get rid of them, and since I'm almost 44 I guess he assumed.
Unread 03-29-2002, 12:47 PM

Jean, LOL!! Good for you for putting it into perspective for a male doc.

Melissa
Unread 03-29-2002, 02:40 PM

My "male" gyn actually made the same comment to me when we were discussing whether to keep or remove my ovaries. He said that they don't just go and remove a man's testicles just because of his age. And that it was a decision that I needed to make on my own. But he also said that a man has the advantage of having his testicles on the outside where they can notice early if there is a problem with one. That is not the case with a woman. He said he would suggest and annual ultrasound of my ovaries if I decide to keep them, since I do have a family history of cancer. Mother- breast cancer, grandmother died of an unknown "female" abdominal cancer during the days when you didn't talk about things like that!

At my last visit I left it as, I want to keep them IF they look healthy. But I think I have changed my mind. I went to a web site somewhere that had a test you could take to see if you were perimenopausal. Of the 16 questions 15 were yes. In the past several year I have developed hypertension, high cholesterol and osteoporosis. So I think my ovaries at 44yrs have just about given up, so I am in the position of needing to start hormones anyway. I guess what I am getting at is that I think (at least this week) that I am going to have them removed.

Thanks so much to everyone here that have given their thoughts and experiences. I really needed to hear all of them.
Unread 03-29-2002, 02:54 PM
Pop-up Timers???

It sure seems that if the Perdue family can have pop-up timers for their chickens, the technology must exist for women to have a similar deal, don't you think?

No more "Are you Perimenopausal ? " quizzes in Redbook, just check the timer!

(This occured to me when I had been diagnosed with "just fibroids" and was doing the watchful waiting-- for 5 1/2 years.)

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register