Got my surgery date | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Got my surgery date Got my surgery date

Unread 03-28-2002, 01:51 PM
Got my surgery date

Wow, that was fast! My surgery date is May 11, 2002 at 7:30 am. I am NOT a morning person and have to be there at 5:30am. Yuk! I shouldn't have any trouble sleeping once I get there!

Also found out that my salary continuance is only at full pay for 2 weeks and 2/3 pay for the rest of the time, up to 24 weeks.

Now I have to also juggle my bills. Just one more thing to deal with. It worked out pretty well though because I will only get 1 check at 2/3 pay. I get paid twice a month so two will be one week at full pay and one week at 2/3 pay, provided I am really out for 6 weeks. This is major because I have the career and hubby has the 'extra' income.

I'm sure I will be posting more often as my date gets closer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2002, 05:37 PM
Hi Reneeo

Congradulation on that surgery date. It will be here before you know it. A you will be.
I had to be at the hospital at 5:30am too. Think I only slept about 2 hours that night.
Keep posting and visiting the chat. Lot's of good information and friends to help pass the time.
Unread 03-28-2002, 07:52 PM
Got my surgery date

Hi , just wanted to say I am glad that you found this site. You will receive so much support and advise here. It was a God send to me.
Best Wishes to you . Try to remember what most of the sisters say , the waiting is the worse part.
Terri (10 days post op - TVH/BSO)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2002, 08:03 PM
Got my surgery date

Thanks to both of you! I haven't been to chat yet, but probably will get there as my date gets closer.

For now, I'll just keep hangin in there!
Unread 03-29-2002, 03:07 PM
Got my surgery date

Hi! I'm going in on May13 for LAVH possibly too. Sorry to hear your riness: date is so early. You've got a sister friend in waiting here.
Sandy
Unread 03-29-2002, 03:55 PM
Got my surgery date

Thanks! I'm kind of glad it is so soon. Today is only the second day I have had the surgery scheduled and I didn't think I would have all the scary feelings I've been reading about. I decided this is what I need to do.

This morning I woke up in a near panic and really thought about calling to cancel the whole thing!

Talked to my Mom today and couldn't remember if she had a hyster or not, but she did about 20 years ago. She had no problems and she also had ovaries out. A nurse told her that most women who have hysters and don't have ovaries removed end up back in 2 years for the ovaries. If mine are truly healthy, I'll take my chances on the return visit. She is on premarin and has done well on it. She told me she used to have frequent kidney infections and once she had the hyster, she didn't have them anymore.

Now I feel better!
Unread 03-29-2002, 09:34 PM
Got my surgery date

Hi again! I'm sorry, I went to press the princess button and it ended up a green thingy. What I meant to say was I feel for you that your date is so early in the morning. Can also relate to the many feelings a person can feel, when they have made this decision to have a hyst.
Good luck on your journey
Sandy
Unread 03-30-2002, 08:59 AM
Got my surgery date

Thanks again! I was trying to figure out what that little green thingy meant! It seemed you were trying to write princess, cause that 's what the last few letters were. Thanks for letting me know what you were trying to do!
Unread 03-30-2002, 09:05 AM
Got my surgery date

I just read your post again and this time I actually paid attention! You said you were sorry it was so early in the morning! I am definitely not a morning person, but glad I will have it out of the way early, so I'm not fighting eating or drinking all day! It will be veeeeery hard for me to get up that early. Hubby will have to really take lots of abuse that morning while he tries to get me awake and I complain to him.

This site is so wonderful!

Thanks!
Unread 03-30-2002, 05:26 PM
Got my surgery date

reneeo,
You are actually very lucky to have time to prepare yourself for this momentous event.
This is what I did:
Stocked up on heavy grocery items. (laundry detergent, cat litter, canned goods, bleach, white vinegar, etc) ( I live alone)
Got a little "ahead" on heavy house cleaning and laundry.
Went extra nights to aerobics classes and requested that the instructors included extra ab exercises.
Got "ahead" on projects at work (I am self-employed)
Took on no new "complicated" projects at work.
Let special customers know that I would UNAVAILABLE to do any special projects for 6 weeks regardless of their needs.
Ordered extra supplies for employees at work to get them thru the time I would be out of commission.
Wrote down all special instructions and phone numbers for employees in one notebook.
Updated key employees on projects-in-progress, so they could pick up where I left off wothout waiting for me to return.
Took home a fax machine so that I could do light work at home as far as phone ordering and supplier communication during my recovery.
Took out whole pile of novels to devour from the library.
Brought down boxes of old paperwork from the attic to sift thru and toss ( I am NOT the type who can sit idly gazing blankly at the idiot box)
Made sure all my bills were up-to-date and my will as well!
Alerted my wonderful neighbors that I would be laid up.
Filled up my truck with gas.
Bought clothes that will accomodate your "swelly belly." I found men's pajama bottoms, and balloony harem pants to be ideal. I will not wear sweat pants in private or public.
Bought items in advance such as : birthday cards and gifts, Easter cards, thank you cards and STAMPS! When you are not able to drive and folks have to squeeze your errands around their busy schedules, you will not be able to do as much "on the fly."
Stopped spending money except on what is necessary and STASHED extra.
But most importantly:
Get yourself in a postive frame of mind. Check out my way-too-long post here: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=55875
Go, girl!

Edie, newly uterus-free!

P.S. I am not a morning person either, but here's why it worked out nicely to have mine scheduled at 7:30 am:
You are the first on the table that day! Docs and nurses and assistants and anesthesiologists will be fresh and alert! Good one, eh? Also, you will have all day to suffer any ill efects from anesthesiology with full attention of nurses and aides. AND then you will have a full night's peaceful sleep. It is only all too good to get it "out of the way" early, imho.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register