Corrected diagnosis of hyperplasia | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Corrected diagnosis of hyperplasia Corrected diagnosis of hyperplasia

Unread 03-28-2002, 08:30 PM
Corrected diagnosis of hyperplasia

I went to my doctor's office today, although he is on vacation, as I've been stressing prior to my next appointment with him on April 1st. He had told me directly after my D&C that I had fibroids in the wall of my uterus (at the time they had enlarged my stomach to the size of a 4 month pregnancy, but since the D&C my tummy seems to have gone down & is much softer) & that he would be recommending a hysterectomy. I don't know that this diagnosis is different, but where I earlier thought, per a subsequent lab report, that I had dysplasia, now the nurse (whose shoulder I cried on today) said I have hyperplasia. So, now what is hyperplasia, & is there still, with all this, a way to avoid a hysterectomy? A co-worker of mine just had a hysterectomy in December & she is having a lot of emotional (she feels hormonal) problems, & she'd always before been so upbeat. As emotional as I am now, I can't imagine getting anymore emotional after hysterectomy--I'd never survive! So, just want to get some feedback on this.
Thanks,
Jeandre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 02:56 AM
Corrected diagnosis of hyperplasia

Hi Jeandre,
I have atypical hyperplasia.What my doctor told me it
is pre-cancer of the uterus.Right now I am taking 20mg of provera
aday to help control this.My doctor told me it is in my best option
to have a hyst ,because the medicine he wanted to prescribe to
me would mess up my diabetes.I was denied twice for medicad
because I am not medically disabled enough to warrant the help.
I thought I was having a heart attack on Jan 15, but I found out that I have a enlarge heart and I could not use that to rebutt the decision. By the way what part of Indiana are you from?
Unread 03-29-2002, 05:15 AM
hyperplasia

There are different types of hyperplasia. In my 1998 D&C my path report said that I had
"hyperplasia WITHOUT ATYPIA." This is less dangerous and my D&C completely took care of it and brought my uterine lining back to normal. My doctor explained my hyperplasia without atypia as having an over growth of normal cells. He explained it like having a carpet that then turns into a shag carpet--overgrowth, and as I said the D&C brought it back into normal range again. All my uterine biopsies have been normal since. My hysterectomy now is for endometriosis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 06:11 AM
hyperplasia

I too, have hyperplasia and just posted asking if anyone else did!
I am new here but what I do know is that complex hyperplasia is different from simple, so you need to ask exactly what the pathology report says. Also hyperplasia with atypia is apparently the closest to having a cancer diagnosis without it being cancer. It is precancerous cells that will, not might, turn to cancer at any given point, according to what my doctor said. What I have been reading on the internet about treatment depends on the patient's age mostly I think. If younger, then they try hormones to get rid of it, but if closer to menopause or if you do not want more children, then they recommend hyterectomy. Not sure why my doc wants to take everything, just to be cautious I am hoping, but wonder if it is because he is male and just figures that I am 51 and don't need any of it anymore. Still trying to resolve that issue in my head because he tends to insinuate that at 51, I should get a hysterectomy and just forget my libido, sex life, etc.

Anyway, hope this helps you with diagnosis.
Marci

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register