2 weeks post Castle visit | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks post Castle visit 2 weeks post Castle visit

Unread 03-28-2002, 09:50 PM
2 weeks post Castle visit

I had a TAH on 03/12 (sparing the ovaries). Uterus was filled with polyps and a large fibroid, exremely thick endometrial tissue). The surprisig finding was extensive endometriosis involving the bowel, which my surgeon found after lifting the uterus and looking behind it. That explained the horrific pain I experienced in that part of my anatomy. I would get shooting pains that would nearly knock me out. Glad that has been taken care of, hopefully for good.

My castle story is much like everyone else's, so I won't go into a lot of detail. I was admitted on a Tuesday a.m. and discharged Friday a.m. -- stayed an extra day because I was very anemic.

I had a rough time with nausea which we traced to the Toradol. Phenergan and Reglan helped some but I didn't eat much and felt really weak during the whole hospital stay. Felt better once I got home and had home cooking -- hospital food was lousy!!

I walked as much as I possibly could, and that helped with gas pains and BM (2nd day postop). I kept visitors to a minimum, just immediate family.

Since being home, I have behaved myself. Lots of rest, drinking plenty of water, walking when I can. I walk outside, partially around the block nearly every day. It helps with the cabin fever.

I tapered my Darvocet (pain med) after a week. Now I just take it at bedtime. Ibuprofen (Advil) as needed during the day, maybe once or twice.

Healing is slow but steady. I get swelly belly if I'm up too long. Pain isn't too bad. Sleep is pretty good. My hubby bought me a body pillow and it's wonderful for supporting my tummy and relieving low back pressure --- highly recommended.

I went out to lunch two days ago with my daughter-- first and only outing so far. It was soooo nice.

Hubby and I celebrated 20 year wedding anniversary yesterday --we are going out to lunch tomorrow at our favorite seafood restaurant.

I have a manual transmission car and plan to avoid driving for at least another week.

My best advice to ladies in waiting is:
-Educate yourself about your condition and surgery;
-Don't take too much stuff to the hospital -- you'll veg out more
than anything and won't read much or do needlework, etc.
-Limit your visitors and phone calls -- get lots of rest.
-Walk!!
-Drink water!!
-Rest, rest, rest!!!!
-Give yourself this time to heal and be patient. The weeks go by
slowly but they are a gift -- use them wisely and lovingly. You'll
have a better recovery if you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 01:18 AM
Best advice

Barbmt

What a great thread. Could not have said it any better myself.

Thanks heaps.

Gail
Unread 03-29-2002, 09:00 AM
HI Barb

Thanks for a great post. It is so valuable for all the to hear of the importance and long term success of really taking it easy.
I am 5 weeks post and from this vantage point it seems as if the time has gone by pretty quickly.
I love your attitude about considering the "time a gift". So yes, enjoy and make the most of it. It is a rare time indeed when we women aren't taking care of other's.
Blessings to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 09:40 AM

Hi Barb

What a great post! Sounds as if you are doing really well, despite the additional "findings" during your hyst. I had severe endo too, so I sympathize with you. The good news is that at 4 months post op, I feel like I am living a miracle now that the pain is gone! Hooray!

Keep up the good princess work, and thanks for sharing your story with other LIWs.

Beth
Unread 03-29-2002, 07:16 PM

What a great post! Glad you are back and being the best Princess you know how to be.

Just wanted to invite you to come on over and join us on the Post-Op Message Board when you are up to it.

Here's to your continued smooth recovery!
Unread 03-29-2002, 07:29 PM

Just adding my voice to the others...keep up the great recovery...you are doing everything right!!!!

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register