Bowel Prep | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-28-2002, 11:33 PM
Bowel Prep

Hi i am trying to prepare myself for my surgery on 5th June and have some bowel prep to take the day before. I have been prescribed Fleet - can anyone out there tell me what i should expect? Is it really a nightmare? It seems like a strange question to ask but i dont really know what to expect and how i will feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 06:23 PM
Bowel Prep

Hi Allison and welcome to Hyster Sisters: I'm so happy you've found us

Regarding the fleet enema: I had to administer one the day before my surgery. I must admit that I dreaded it almost as much as I worried about the next day.

I found out that, same as where the hyst was concerned, I shouldn't have worried: it really wasn't all that bad. It was only a bit uncomfortable as I administered it. And it was a lot gently than a regular laxative would have been.
Unread 03-29-2002, 06:29 PM
Bowel Prep

I had to use a Fleet enema the day before also. I ate lightly that day and it really was not so bad. It was crampy, but well worth doing. Don't worry!!!

's
Bev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 06:43 PM
Bowel Prep

I get to fleet too I was told that it was a good idea , because having a full colon and constipation is not an experience I would like.

I prefer the enema to the drinking kind of bowel clean out. THat is tough. The enema administered rectally is much easier.
Unread 03-29-2002, 07:32 PM
Bowel Prep

I agree...the enema is much less icky than the golytely experience! It feels a little crampy, like a nervous stomach sort of cramps...doesn't hurt and it's really not bad.

Please be sure to follow your doctor's instruction exactly...it's really important that any bowel prep is done as ordered.

Good luck!

Karen
Unread 03-29-2002, 08:23 PM
Thanks girls

Hi, ty for replying so quick - your replies have put my mind at rest. I have two containers to take - one at midday the day before and then at 6pm that night. What sort of liquid foods did you eat the day before?? any suggestions - broths etc??
Unread 04-01-2002, 08:06 PM
i had to do the gallon of icky stuff

Count yourself lucky i had to drink a gallon of that icky golightly (however you spell it) i chilled it and everything .. it was awful!!!!
I wished all i had to have done was fleet enema...Count yourself lucky... that other stufff was just nasty!!!!!!!!:hair: I didnt think i could make it thru it... anyway i wish you luck.... God Bless you and keep you
Unread 04-01-2002, 08:14 PM
Bowel Prep

Hi all,
I had the bowel prep similar to a colonoscipy. 2 days of clear liquids and the phosiphers instead of the fleet, as a friend said its like dinasors are comming out! I felt great that it was clean as a whistle as I had endo in the cul de sac prior to my hyser. The great news was I was clear and it made post op easier. I have a problem with constipation any way and was given lacative so once I had solid food it was easy to pass.

Best of luck!
Unread 04-01-2002, 08:49 PM
Bowel Prep

Hi Allison!

Clear liquid is considered to be something you can see through when it is room temperature. In addition to broth, jello is something you can eat. Other clear liquids are water (of course ), coffee or tea (without milk/creamer), clear broth (without noodles), strained fruit juices without pulp (apple, white grape, lemon), soft drinks, and Gatorade.
Unread 04-02-2002, 05:33 AM
Bowel Prep

I go for my surgery on 4/12 and no one said anything about any bowel prep. Is that unusual? I asked my DR about diet before surgery and he said nothing about liquids either. Neither did the nurse at the hospital when I had my pre op last week. Is this something I should do anyway?

Thanks for all your help!
Now Dazed &

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register