Fallopian Tube Question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fallopian Tube Question Fallopian Tube Question

Unread 03-29-2002, 09:08 AM
Fallopian Tube Question

Hi Everyone!

Okay - I know that no question is stupid - but since this is about my anatomy - I do feel pretty stupid asking.....

I am having an abdominal hysterectomy 5/17/02 - keeping both ovaries and the cervix. How do the fallopian tubes come into place here?

Removed? Kept? If eggs are fertilized in the ovaries - and they stay - what happens?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 09:27 AM
Fallopian Tube Question

Hi Bikerlady:

You are right, no question is stupid!

From what I have read, if your ovaries will not be removed, your tubes will stay also. Even if keeping your cervix, there will be sutures at the top of it so that no sperm can enter your body and the eggs in your ovaries cannot be fertilized.

Please discuss with your doctor, just to be sure of what is planned in your case. If there is damage to your tubes, they might be removed. I had a TAH/BSO, so I don't have any personal experiences that I can share.

Best of luck! Keep reading and posting and asking any questions you have.

Beth
Unread 03-31-2002, 01:34 AM
No silly questions!

Don't be embarrassed...there's what seems like miles of tubes and stuff up there, it can confuse anybody!

The egg is ovulated from the ovary and then the fringed ends of the Fallopian tube sweep it up and start it moving down the tube toward the uterus. Usually fertilization takes place about a third of the way down the tube, and then it just rolls along the tube until it reaches the uterus, where it implants into the lining.

After a hysterectomy, either the top of the vagina or the top of the cervix is stitched shut...and besides, without the uterus to kind of funnel the sperm into the Fallopian tube, I don't know how they'd find the egg. They'd just kind of swim around aimlessly! Sperm aren't exactly known for their navigational skills--they refuse to ask for directions!! LOL!!!

Hope that helps!

Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2002, 12:41 PM
Re: No silly questions!

Quote:
Originally posted by number13baby
Sperm aren't exactly known for their navigational skills--they refuse to ask for directions!! LOL!!!Kris
Kris, you made me LOL!!

My doc said if you keep ovaries, you keep fallopian tubes. I guess when you ovulate post-hyst, the egg just passes through the tube into the body cavity, where it gets absorbed by the body and vanishes. Shouldn't cause any problems.

Melissa
Unread 03-31-2002, 08:42 PM
(blush)

Thanks, LissaLee!!!

It's just so true though!

lol!

Kris

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register