TAH/ permission papers | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH/ permission papers TAH/ permission papers

Unread 03-29-2002, 10:09 AM
TAH/ permission papers

Just looking over my persmission papers... am I wrong to assume that a TAH includes the cervix? I hope so because I verbally arranged with dr. to get it removed also. (Have family history) I had adeno and fibroids... and lots of pain..
Also wondering did everyone recieve a copy of what they signed? I had to ask for a copy... and when I read it over more closely I noticed one part that said that I was informed of the course of treatment if this precedure didn't take place... doc filled in something that I can't read.. concl........anyone have any thoughts.. I am going to ask when I call on monday about the 'tentative date" for my surgery... thank you to everyone who responded to my am i being pushy post... I am going to call and I'll let you know what he said....
thanks again for any info on the TAH and permit papers...
kara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 10:13 AM
TAH/ permission papers

My TAH does not include the cervix. My doc says he prefers leaving it because it helps support the bladder. Some people say that it helps sex feel more "normal" with the cervix in tact.
Unread 03-29-2002, 10:24 AM
TAH/ permission papers

Hi, Karah! Usually a TAH does include the cervix, since it means *total*. The cervix is part of the uterus, not a separate organ. But since there is another part of the consent form you can't read I think you could ask about both things when you call the dr office. I also was "pushy" when trying to get my surgery date. I was pleasant, but called every 5-7 days to ask, since at first they had forgotten they needed to schedule and then had to wait for an opening in the OR. People can drop the ball, so the patient needs to be proactive! Yes, waiting is the worst! s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 11:21 AM
TAH/ permission papers

Ivestaffer is right. Total refers to uterus and cervix.
If you are keeping the cervix it is usually called SAH---supracervical abdominal hysterectomy, subtotal or partial hysterectomy. Here is a whole list of procedures with abbreviations found at this site.

TAH-Total Abdominal Hysterectomy----Removal of uterus including the cervix
TAH BSO--Total Abdominal Hysterectomy- Bilateral Salpingoopherectomy---Removal of uterus and both tubes and ovaries.
LAVH-Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy---Vaginal Hysterectomy with visualization and resection of the uterine ligaments through a scope inserted through or near the umbillicus.The uterus is then delivered through the vagina.
TVH Total Vaginal Hysterectomy ---removal of uterus and cervix through the vagina
Subtotal Abdominal Hysterectomy--removal of uterus through an abd. incision leaving the cervix intact
Supracervical Abdominal Hysterectomy---same as above
Lap Hyster---same as LAVH
TVH---Vag hyster
LAVH---Laparoscopic Hysterectomy
TVH-BSO removal of uterus and both tubes and ovaries thru the vagina
TLH- Total Laproscopic Hyst
Unread 03-29-2002, 01:45 PM
Supracervical laparoscopic hysterectomy--BSO

Where does this surgery fall on the list? I'm having it on 4/15/02. The uterus and ovaries come out through a lap belly incision. Also, I would like to hear from anyone who has had this surgery...particularly about their recovery time, but any details would be welcome.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register