Waking Sleepy Ovaries | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Waking Sleepy Ovaries Waking Sleepy Ovaries

Unread 03-29-2002, 11:00 AM
Waking Sleepy Ovaries

Hi-
A bit of history for context: diagnosed with endo via laparoscopy in August '92, went on 6 months Lupron, then straight to Depo-Provera ever since. Never got my period back after the surgery.

2nd lap this past Dec shows endo's still hanging around, especially on the uterosacral ligaments. Ovaries looked good, but just show "signs of being suppressed" for all these years (by the way, I'm 32).

I'm scheduled for TAH on 4/8. Since my ovaries appeared healthy in Dec, doc says I should keep them.

Now my question is: since I will be off the birth control shots, will my ovaries eventually "wake up" after the hyst and begin this craziness again?

I've also managed to get Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Inflammatory Bowel Disease along the way, so my fingers are crossed that my colon plays nice once we've kicked the uterus out of the 'hood.

Any thoughts? This site is terrific!
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 02:39 PM
Waking Sleepy Ovaries

Karen,
Interesting questions. I had a TAH/BSO four months ago primarily due to stage 4 endo. I'm 46, so I'm much closer to menopause than you. I had my ovaries removed at the recommendation of my gyn and the gyn oncologist who assisted with peritoneal stripping during my surgery. Although no one can give you a 100% guarantee that endo will not return after a hyst and ovary removal, many gyn's recommend this based on the theory that estrogen stimulates endo growth. I took no estrogen for 12 weeks post hyst, then started low dose estrogen (0.3 mg) which I'm still on now. I'll go on a "normal" dose of estrogen at 6 months post op. (Oh, and I was told I had IBS about 16 years ago after endo was ruled out during a diagnostic lap. Turns out I really didn't have IBS ... it was the endo. I'm doing great and feel so lucky to have all that pain GONE!)

As for whether or not your ovaries will "wake up" after your hyst, that's a great question for your gyn. At your age, I can understand the dilemna of whether or not to keep your ovaries, given your history of endo. By keeping them (and if they are healthy and functioning), you will postpone menopause for many years. If you have problems, you can always have them removed later (and possibly via laparoscopic procedure which is less invasive).

My heart goes out to you. These are not easy decisions at any age, but you are young and this must be very tough. Let us know what you decide and what your gyn has to say about ovaries "waking up."

Beth

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register