New here.. Hi all! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here.. Hi all! New here.. Hi all!

Unread 03-29-2002, 12:43 PM
New here.. Hi all!

Whew, where do I begin? I am so happy to have found this website!
I am a 31 y/o with a strong family history of cervical cancer. My mother died from this disease when she was only 35 years old.
My aunts on my father's side of my family both have had numerous gynecological problems. Well, my last Pap came back with "abnormal cells", and I'm scheduled for a coloscopy and biopsy on the 11th of April. In speaking with several doctors within my family, I was told that a partial hysterectomy could be a solution for me. My uncle (a dr., who is also good friends with my gyno), said "hey, you have your kids, if you nip it in the bud now, you'll never have to worry about it again." I wholeheartedly agree, and I think it's freaking some people out, my "excitedness" over having a hysterectomy. I mean, I'm hoping and praying that my doctor will agree and go along with this... I feel like I'm getting a new lease on life if I get this operation. Having watched my mother go through the less radical treatments, then after it spread, having to go through radiation and chemo , I really don't want to go through that. Or put my family through it, either, as I remember how hard it was for me.
I already have two kids, one boy, one girl, a wonderful husband, I know for a fact I do NOT want more kids, I've been on Depo for 7 yrs now, I enjoy NOT getting my period.... am I crazy to want a hysterectomy? (I have never had fibroids or ovary problems, so I should be able to keep them), and when I heard of the epidural/vaginal type, I was like, "That's so for me!"
Has anyone here been in remotely the same boat, *wanting* this operation?
Thanks in advance for any answers... this place is great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 01:09 PM
Welcome

Hi, Cia,

I had a biopsy recently and my abnormal cells were complex hyperplasia with atypia. Did they tell you what kind of abnormal cells? I'm having my hyst on April 15th. My grandmother died of uterine cancer. Good luck.

Debbie
Unread 03-29-2002, 01:15 PM
New here.. Hi all!

Hi Cia,

I had my routine pap in December, a colposcopy in January and a cone biopsy in February. The cone biopsy gave me the cervical cancer diagnosis, and this Wednesday I am having a radical hysterectomy. Am I looking forward to it, yes...first, I don't have a choice, and second, I just want those nasty cells gone.

This list has helped me so much in terms of what to expect post-op and a whole bunch of "hints" for a better recovery.

Welcome to hyster sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 02:40 PM
New here.. Hi all!

Although I am fortunate enough to not have the big "C" diagnosis or a history of cancer in my family, I am very happy about having a hyst. Two - three weeks out of the month, I feel LOUSY because of PMS and my periods. I bleed forever and will stop for 24-48 hrs and begin all over again. I can relate to your 'excitement'. I know that the recovery time won't be fun, but also, as a result of this website, realize that I will feel soooooo much better went it is all over.

I wish you luck and send prayers your way!
Unread 03-29-2002, 02:53 PM
New here.. Hi all!

Cia,
Glad you found us!

I don't think you are crazy, given the fact that your mother died of cancer at age 35 and that you now have "abnormal cells." It sounds like you've discussed this with several doctors already (were any of them gyn's?). Hystersisters is here to support women as they face this decision ... without taking a stand, pro or con. We encourage all women to get second and sometimes third opinions, to read and make sure you are informed, to talk to your gyn and make the best decision for YOU. You are young, this is major surgery, there can be complications ... so you want to make sure you weigh all this information.

Personally, your story reminds me very much of a friend of mine who developed breast cancer at age 32. She had a mastectomy, then chose to have her other breast removed as a precaution. Her mother died of breast cancer while in her 30's ... so your story has a familiar ring.

Hyst surgery can be life-saving, no question about it. But please keep reading and asking questions so that you will be as informed as possible. Talk to your gyn and consider a second opinion ... for more reasurrance, if nothing else.

Good luck Cia! We're here for you, any way we can be of support!

Beth
Unread 03-29-2002, 03:56 PM
New here.. Hi all!

I don't think you're the least bit crazy. I have to tell you that most women that I mentioned I was having a hysterectomy to, or mention now that I just had one, reply "I wish they'd give me one!" It's amazing how many women have some sort of gynecological troubles that really wreak havoc with their lives. Or issues like yours - family histories that cause them a lot of concern.
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:21 PM
Congrats!!

Cia,
Welcome! Glad you found this site. It is a lifesaver! You are not crazy at all to want this surgery. I was sooooo excited when after my yearly exam (after 3 years of problem bleeding and being put on bc pills to regulate me and after having a tubal after the second child) whew.... I wanted to have this surgery but knew they wouldn't perform it unless there was probably cause to have one. Finally the doctor's nurse called me with my results and she told me that I'd have to have the surgery. I listened to her and then she asked me if I was upset about it.... I paused for a minute and giggled under my breath and told her NO! I'm excited! She laughed and said, "I'm glad you are understanding about the surgery!" The rest is history...... I am happy for you and I know for a fact that you will feel so much better and relieved once it is all over and you can look back and smile. I'm smiling all the time now!!!! :Good luck and let us know when and how it all went.

's

tvh/bso 11/19/01 for heavy bleeding, fibroids and cysts.
Unread 03-29-2002, 06:32 PM
No way!

I think you would be crazy to NOT want the surgery!! I am sure your doctor will concur.

's
Bev

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register