Thank you | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-29-2002, 03:06 PM
Thank you

Thank you so much to the people who responded to my posting last night. I was really feeling blue about the upcoming event. But, I know that there is a bright side to all of this and I am sure that this summer is going to be awesome since all of this will be over and I will be on the road to recovery. I know that I won't be swimming laps right away but if I am not an athlete, I am not me. I am looking forward to roller blading with DH and kids in our new neighborhood and riding bikes again in Washington Park. All of these are things I really haven't gotten to do for a long time due to bleeding all of the time, tiredness, anemia, and the old "You -Never -Know- When- You're- Gonna -Start." I do have another question and that is for all of the princesses who have had a TVH. Is there packing inserted in the vagina during surgery and if so, how long is it there? Also, how long exactly was it before you were really up to 100% and what were the milestones along the way? ie: At 2 weeks I could________ and then at 3 weeks I felt I could ________...........I would really appreciate some stories about what the whole thing was like from day of surgery until 100% recovery. My doc says I will feel better than I ever have by the end of the summer because I have been anemic since I was 14. So......hugs and love and blessings to all of you and thank you so much for reading my posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 08:27 PM
Thank you

Glad you're feeling a better. This surgery is not really a bad thing when you keep in mind the advantages you'll have after. I'm looking forward to it. Don't forget, we're here when you need us.
lrae
Unread 03-31-2002, 09:34 AM
Thank you

Hi Juliroo,

I am glad that you are feeling better about your surgery. Having a good attitude will help your recovery, too.

I had a TVH and had packing. My surgery was at 6:30 one morning and by the following morning the nurse took it out. It doesn't hurt - it just feels kind of strange when they take it out and you wonder how in the world they could get all that gauze in there.

The main page has a drop down menu (toward the bottom of the page) with stories from ladies who have already had their hysts. Several of them had TVH's, and their stories may help with some of your questions.

At 2 weeks, I was told by my doctor that I could start driving, but I honestly didn't really want to - I had some A & P repair work done and was still sore if I sat too long, even with my donut pillow.

At 3 weeks I drove to my DD's (about 2 hours away) and came back the following day. I was tired, but managed it OK.

I went back to work full-time at 5 1/2 weeks, and was glad that my husband likes to cook - I was pretty tired by the end of the day and didn't want to do much but lie down for awhile when I got home.

But, please remember that I am 56 and am not in as good physical shape as you probably are, and probably never was You'll be roller blading and bike riding before you know, it, I hope.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2002, 01:10 PM
Iam 11 days post op today

I had a TVH with A & P repairs on wensday march 20th
I had the packing too
I went in to surgery at 9o am was in my room about 2:00 PM
I don't remember anything between 9 and 2 I was asleep off and on all day and all night I did not get the morphine pump
but my nurse kept comming in ever so meany hours and gave me something in my I V and then I went right back to sleep then thursday moring my doctor came in and told them to take my IV then he took my packing out too it did not hurt at all when he pulled it out
I took a shower

I took a walk came back had breakfest felt good
watched tv for alittle my mom came seen me
she left got some thing for pain took a nap got up had lunch
walk , walk , walk , and walk some more watched some more tv
slept drank walk and slept and walk and drank some more

I took my pain meds every 4 hours just so I didn't feel pain
thursday night I had a fever it was not high but I could not go home as long as I had the fever
by friday night my fever was gone so by 5 :00 pm I was released to go home
I came home with my cath cause I could not pee on my own
I had my first BM Friday night
the gas was not that bad
as I didn't have alot of gas
I never did get sick or throw up

I feel just fine
if it where not for the spottting I have I would not belive I ever had anything done
the only soreness I have it just feels like I had a baby
and that too is getting better everyday
let me tell you this I know that I had surgery and what my body went thruogh
so I am not doing any thing to ruin my recovery or set myself back or hurt myself
no matter how good I feel
I hope this helps and answers some of your questions too
I will be praying for each and everyone of you ladies in wating
hugs to you ladypeewee

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register