New here Hi everyone! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here Hi everyone! New here Hi everyone!

Unread 03-29-2002, 05:54 PM
New here Hi everyone!

I am new to the site . Been reading for about 1 week and finally decided to join in.
I am scheduled to have a TVH, due to 3rd degree prolapse of the uterus,cystocele and rectocele on May 1st. I am SCARED to death. I know I am doing the right thing. I am tired of all the pain and pressure.
I have never had surgery before and I have read all the good and the bad. I am trying to go into this with a positive outlook--but it is hard!!!
I am most afraid of the bladder procedure. Can any one please let me know what to expect ???? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 06:29 PM
New here Hi everyone!

Hi - I have similar procedures scheduled for April 10. It's like you've stepped off a plane in a foreign land when you finally get the "word." Reading here and other places online has made a tremendous difference in being able to be calmer. You'll have wait-mare days, that's very common and normal, and that's when you'll need to come to this site (and if you're like me, it will become a regular part of your routine). I even had to schedule another visit with the surgeon for new questions! Finally, I think I've gotten to a place where I can go through the motions on schedule (pick up scripts, pack, etc.) and try really hard to treat others as if I'm calm

I've been exceedingly blessed to find this website. None of my friends are going through this, and it's truly wonderful to observe and occassionally participate in all the information and support that is here. I've learned that these procedures are very common, and that has helped me trust that the outcome will be great ... so that's what I'm visualizing for myself (and for you, too).

Sorry I'm unable to send a cheerleader's greeting this evening, I'm in a fog-funk (probably denial). I'm scared of the healing pains (I'm a total wimp), but more scared of these prolapses progressing further (my rectocele has caused alot of pain). So, like you, I "know" it's going to be wonderful to be all fixed up, and on "fog" days, just keep picturing those goals. God bless.
Unread 03-29-2002, 07:36 PM
New here Hi everyone!

Hi and welcome!!!

I'm glad you decided to post...there is so much great support here when we need it!

A good way to find specific info here is to use our search engine...the little purple button at the top right of each page. You can search cystocele and you'll turn up all the threads that discuss it.

I'm sure someone who has been through it will be along soon...you might also want to read on the post op board to see what the post op ladies have to say about this procedure.

I'm really happy you are here with us...post all your questions and remember there are NO dumb questions. We're here for you!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 09:32 PM
New here Hi everyone!

Hi dmb1966 and welcome to Hystersisters. You are in the right spot for lots of support. It's very normal to be SCARED! We will be with you every step of the way. Read lots and post your questions and comments right here! I did not have the bladder procedure so I am unable to answer that question.
Unread 03-29-2002, 09:40 PM
New here Hi everyone!

Hi!

You are in the right place, this site got me through all those scary feelings!

I didn't have a bladder surgery, BUT like you, I had never ever had surgery before in my life (except my wisdom teeth, but that doesn't really count, lol). The thought of anesthesia made me want to jump out the window!! And my only experiences with hospitals had been unhappy ones, so overally, I was the biggest baby you could imagine for the couple of months I had to wait before having my surgery.

The good news is, I found this site and it turns out, being scared and nervous and generally feeling like you're losing it is totally normal. And the better news is, I had my surgery on 3/20 and here I am, so I made it through just fine.

I know it's hard to believe when you're waiting for the big day, but you will do great. Just stick around here and whine and vent as much as you want, and read a lot. Reading the posts made me feel (somewhat) less scared, and at least I knew what to expect by the time I got to surgery.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!! And come on over to chat sometimes, it's a great stress reliever, too.

Unread 03-30-2002, 10:24 AM
New here Hi everyone!

Hi, I am new to this site also, it is wonderful! I have had friends who have had TVH and slings, but NONE of them have had AP repairs. They have NO idea what I am talking about when I tell them or what problems they cause. I have put the surgery off for 4 years (always something came up of more importance with a family member or co-worker who also needed a surgical procedure so I'd cancel mine), but now that Dr. had said, also need to do TVH, it is time to go in and get it done.

Mine is scheduled for 4/15.
Unread 03-30-2002, 10:57 AM
New here Hi everyone!

Hi- I didn't have any bladder work done but the lady that shared the room with me did. She is 80 years old and had a complete abdominal hyst w/ the bladder work. She did a lot better than I did. She slept on her side with her bed flat. I slept sitting up. The only other difference between us was my catheter came out on Tuesday and hers wasn't scheduled to come out until Thursday. I came home on Wednesday and she was to go home on Friday (we both had surgery on Monday). Part of that might be her age.
Good luck to you...

Darla
TAH/BSO
Unread 03-30-2002, 12:01 PM
Welcome

Welcome to each new . We are so glad you have found us. You are not alone. We are here for you every step of the way.

For many of us this is our first experience with surgery. Yes, it can bring up scary thoughts and feelings. I think that it would be great if they could remove our imaginations at this point and not give them back to us until it was over. Personally, I imagined so many things that never happened. And Everything I experienced was alot easier than I ever expected.

You are in our thoughts and 'ers that all will go well. Keep visualizing a smooth surgery and comfortable hospital stay and feeling better and better each day you are home.

Unread 03-31-2002, 05:09 AM
New here Hi everyone!

Thanks for the words of encouragement and thoughts. All I can say at this point is if an 80 year old woman went though this, then anyone can!!
Unread 03-31-2002, 08:26 AM
A & P repairs

I had this procedure for a 2nd degree prolapse
with the bladder procedure
ok first of all I have not had any pain
I was so afraid I would so I took my pain meds every 4 hours
and I kept a pad and pen with my pain meds so I could write down what time it was that I took my meds ,

next I ate lite and I drank a cup of prune juice ever other night
to make sure to keep everything moving

I walked I slept and I drank lots of water and juice

I got me a donut pillow to sit on as I had my surgery vaginal
I don't even need my donut pillow now

my hubby got me a stuffed easter bunnie and I sleep with it
it makes me feel better

the wating was the hardest part of this surgery for me

I castle stay was wonderful
I went in at 7 my surgery was at 9 am
when they took me back to the or wating room that was the last thing I rememberd then the next thing I remembered was waking up in my privet room with my family all around me

I just want to say this is easier them giving birth to my children
hugs ladypeewee

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register