New here Hi everyone! - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here Hi everyone! New here Hi everyone!

Unread 03-31-2002, 08:42 AM
New here Hi everyone!

Hi dmb, Katie and Lora,

I had never heard of A & P (anterior and posterior) repairs, either, until my doctor scheduled me for my hyst. If your doctor is going to do the same procedure that mine did, then the rectocele will be repaired by cutting into the wall of the vagina, removing the extra tissue that has bulged (thus causing the prolapse) and then the wall will be stitched back. You will probably need a donut pillow to sit on for a few weeks afterward, because you will have pressure on the stitches when you sit. The cystocele is repaired by "tacking" the bladder back up.

You may be tender in that area for a few weeks, and should be really cautious about doing any lifting or straining until your doctor gives you the go-ahead.

Be sure to read through the pre-op and post-op hints which are on the main page in the drop-down menus. There's alot of good information there.

Here's a link that may help, too.

http://pages.prodigy.com/prolapse.html/define.htm

Please try not to be too scared - any major surgery is scary, and it's your decision to make, but unless your prolapse was caught at a very early stage, it's probably not going to get better.

Please be sure to discuss all your concerns with your doctor, and continue to read and ask questions here, too.

's to all of you,

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2002, 08:50 AM
New here Hi everyone!

Welcome welcome

You've arrived at a fabulous support group - I hope you have many many days of hugs and warm wishes.
I'm sure your surgery is frightening - on another post, someone wonderfully suggested writing down things you can ask your doctor - in addition to this, you might want to write down your fears and also give these to your doctor...sometimes, the more they know, the better they can treat your whole being, and not just the physical bits *grin*.

Anyway..welcome again!

Tess
x

Unread 03-31-2002, 08:51 AM
New here Hi everyone!

I have seen a couple of postings mentioning the epidural rather than local anesthesia - I know that all the C-sections and deliveries these days are done with that method - now I am wondering if that is the way to go since there is less nausea etc., but then again, do I really want to be awake and hear all the discussion that goes on? Have been in OR during other peoples surgery, but don't really know if I want to be there for my own (so to speak).

Also, the subject of ovaries has been brought up to me twice this weekend, my mother who had her TVH at age 78 (she is 88 now) says I need to have them removed as she did and then my aunt (age 72) tells me that EVERYONE of her friends having the procedure done has had their ovaries removed. Of course, not only would I have to take hormones after that, but am I wrong in thinking that since they are / were post menapause they would have them removed, but because mine are healthy and working I SHOULD keep (of course this will be another question I will again ask my Dr. - HE said we are keeping them when we first discussed this. The TVH is being done because I had three paps come back with strange cells and after all the tests and coloscopy he feels that this would need to be done in 3 -5 years so best to just go in now while everything else is being done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2002, 09:07 AM
New here Hi everyone!

Hi Lora,

I can't answer your question about the type of anesthesia, except to say that I had a general, but from what I've been told, even with an epidural, you are given something to make you sleepy so that you don't hear all of the discussion that goes on. (I dont think I would have wanted to hear, either). Maybe another sister will come along who can answer it from personal experience. You might want to post your question on the post-op board or do a search for epidural (little purple button at the top right of this page).

I see from your profile that you are 50 - I'm 56, and although I was already in menopause, my doctor wanted me to keep my ovaries because they are still healthy and are still producing some hormones, although I also take an estrogen pill, too, to help out.

It's a very personal decision, but your mother and aunt were 20 to 30 years older than you when they had their hysts, and that must make a difference in the doctor's recommendation.

Please let us know what your doctor says.

's

Karen
Unread 03-31-2002, 09:41 AM
New here Hi everyone!

You know that is how I am looking at it----
If I could birth 3 children "natural" no meds and vaginally, then I guess I can do this!!!!
I healed well with them so I should with this.
Hopefully I continue to think this way!
Unread 03-31-2002, 11:13 AM
New here Hi everyone!

I was so afraid before hand too and was always posting asking a new ?....But the actual waiting for me was worse than the surgery..I am almost six weeks post op from TVH and feel wonderful. The only problem I have now is i get so tired in the afternoon and still take my daily rests..To me this was easier and less pain afterwarrds than giving birth..I had general anesthesia which I agonized over epidural and general czu I have had bad experiances before with general during surgeries..But this tiem it was great They came in per op and gave me verced in my IV and two meds for nausea...I freaked out in OR and the A guy said okay breathe six times and I remembe counting to four and then next thing I know is I am in recovery I never had nausea and felt great I was out of it til about 9 PM my surgery was at noon..but alot of it was from the morphine pump I was up and about that ntie and for once I didn't even pass out after surgery like I have done the other five times. so my choice of general was a good one this time..My mom who is a nurse told me...they improve the anesthesia every single day and it is nothing like five yrs ago when I had my last surgery..
Unread 03-31-2002, 04:23 PM
New here Hi everyone!

I really appreciate the information regarding anesthesia and epidural - this has now become my main focus (go figure). I have written this down as one of my ****questions to both my dr. and the anesthesiologist. My concern was the nausea afterward, I have had other surgeries over the years (knee, tubal (via a bikini cut) - and have ALWAYS had terrible nausea and vomiting afterward - but it has been years, and you are right, the medications now are much improved.

One of my friends gave me a book she read before her surgery, Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster - it is has been really helpful, contains alot of info I had heard before, ie., positive thinking to healing. She said before she was put to sleep she gave the surgeon a piece of paper and asked him tell her as they were putting her to sleep "following this operation you will feel comfortable and heal very well". Near the end of her surgery he repeated to her 5 times "Your operation has gone very well". At the end of her surgery, "Following this operation you will be hungry for (she wrote Yogurt). You will be thirsty and you will urinate easily". She says her pain was moderate, she had no problem urinating (she didn't have a bladder slings etc. done) and she was released in 2 days. The book has had many tips (many of the same I am reading here) and I really believe in positive thinking, how well we heal depends alot of what we feel inside.
Unread 03-31-2002, 05:51 PM
New here Hi everyone!

You are right about the positive thinking..If we let ourselves get down in the dumps it'll affect the entire healing process..It is funny too cuz anestheisa was the main focus of my surgery for me too..haha..Don't know why I stressed on this..but I didn't feel the nausea or even pass out this time from the general like I did everytime before this..HOpe all goes well for you..Trust me the waiting is the worst part of it all
Unread 04-01-2002, 03:38 PM
New here Hi everyone!

Your right....it would be better if they said, ok, you have to have this and we have scheduled it for the day after tomorrow!! Actually, that is what happened to a friend of mine, she saw her dr on a wed and the following thurs she was in the OR. She had no time to really think about anything.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register