Surgery in 6 days..just found this site,Im scared ( | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery in 6 days..just found this site,Im scared ( Surgery in 6 days..just found this site,Im scared (

Unread 03-29-2002, 07:04 PM
Surgery in 6 days..just found this site,Im scared (

Hello all..

I was sitting here crying my eyes out desperately searching for somewhere to go for information,and I found you! Im so incredibly scared right now....

I've had surgery for endometriosis,12 years ago actually. But Ive always had incredibly painful periods. Id noticed the past year I was having more severe pain during periods and it was on the same side as last time.

To make a long story short...i went to the ER,was given an ultrasound where they found "a large mass in my left ovary". ER doc tells me to make haste to my family doc. I do,she sends me to an ob/gyn. At this point Im getting pretty scared (

I saw my ob this Thursday and she set me up for a complete hysterectomy. Everything coming out...uterus,tubes,cervix. Ive had no time to prepare myself emotionally for this...surgery is scheduled for NEXT thursday..4/4/02.

Im told at this point it is probably endo again. My tubes were tied many years ago so having more children isnt whats bothering me. Im sorry..Im babbling...I just need to hear from someone who can relate to what Im feeling right now. Sheer terror :*(

Thank you...Shanna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 07:25 PM

!!!

Shanna, I'm so glad you found us! Every one of us has started a post just like you did...scared, terrified, freaking out, etc.! We have all been there.

You are in the right place for information, support and HUGS. There's plenty to read, so make a nice cup of tea and settle in. A good place to start is our home page...scroll down to the "pull down menus"...Ladies in Waiting; Princesses Tell Their Stories...etc. Lots of great ideas to help you prepare your home, family and self for surgery and recovery.

Keep reading, keep posting, stop into Chat...ask all your questions, and remember you are NOT alone...we are all here to help you and we'll get you through this.

I had my TAH/BSO a little over one year ago, and I feel GREAT. I was totally terrified, convinced I'd never wake up, never see my child or husband or family again...and this place helped me keep my sanity and develop a positive attitude.

Hang here with us, and we'll be here for you 24/7.

s

Karen
Unread 03-29-2002, 07:27 PM
Welcome Shanna

Sweety just take a deep breath and read. You will find all areas of discussion. I can give you some cyber hope it makes you feel better. Have a discussion with the DR and let them know how you feel. You always have us here this site is on 24/7 so anytime you need some encouragement just pull us up. I had painful periods all my life. I started when I was 10 and it wasn't too long after that I started with the pain. I have a beautiful DS and he is 20 so honestly I should have had this hyst years ago. I could not bring myself to do it until june last year I had had enough so I went and said let's do it the DR agreed and then I got scared. Being scared is part of it. If a person isn't scared I guess they are one confident person and they are some of the sisters out there who are and bless them for that confidence. I never had it so I was scared up to when I was put out, but I kept telling myself that it was necessary to become a person with a good life again. And yes I am a person with a wonderful life again. I have it back and I don't intend for it to get away from me again. So read on here as much as you can. Remember all women are different and have different experiences. Let us know when you can how your castle stay goes. God Bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 07:44 PM

I absolutely know what you mean about the sheer terror. I was rushed very quickly to surgery because of the large ovarian cyst I developed post menopause.

It was very hard not to have more time to research and learn and adjust to all that was happening.

It is such a shock to have to have Major Surgery and especially in such a hurry.

Your DR is very concerned and wants to take care of you the best he/she can. Part of that is removing the mass as quickly as possible.

You have come to the right place for support and I hope you will feel comfortable here. Search and ask and read all you like.

And please know that you are not alone. We have all been scared, and some of us have been extremely scared, even terrified.

I wish you the best.
Unread 03-29-2002, 07:45 PM

Shanna -

I'm so glad you found us. I was a basket case before my surgery (on 2/28/02) and the closer it got, the worse I got. I wished I hadn't had a month to wait - I wished they could have told me and scheduled it right away because I got so stressed about it.

I am 4 weeks and 1 day post now, and today I woke up with no pain at all. I felt great! Of course, during the day I did start to ache a little, but this was my first day without taking any medication for the pain. Maybe I should have taken a little because I ached a little, but it was so negligible that I didn't bother.

The best thing I can say is read read read. The more I read, the better I felt about the whole situation, and there are so many supportive ladies here, you can probably find others who have the same or similar situations.

Try to stay calm, and we'll help however we can. By the way, I've started joining the chat room some, and it's great. You have to download AOL Instant Messenger first, but that's free. The chat room is located at http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/ann...php?forumid=10

Don't be afraid to ask any question of the ladies here - that's what we're all here for. There are no dumb questions.

Welcome again, and take care.

Debbie
Unread 03-29-2002, 08:00 PM
Waiting is the worst part........

I had my hyst (cervix, tubes, ovaries, uterus) a full SIX months after my Doc told me it was the thing that I should do. Trust me, waiting for surgery is worse than the surgery! I was scared too! In fact, my Doc gave me a small rx for valium at my DH's request. That is how scared I was. It is natural to fear surgery! But I bet you will feel immediate relief! My post op days are kinder to me than my pre op days in terms of pain.

Glad you found this site prior to surgery! Use the pull down menus on the main page for even more information.

's and a er for you,
Bev
Unread 03-29-2002, 08:12 PM

Hi Shanna,
Just a little bit of support from sunny Australia. :

I can understand what you're going through. I had a hysteroscopy last Nov which ended up with a hyterectomy 8 days ago. The doc didn't even know I had severe endo - the op was being done for rapidly growing fibroids! In retrospect I had many syptoms of endo but the things that were easier to diagnose took over. It took him twice as long as expected to do the hysterectomy because my abdomen was 'a mess' with things glued together with endo. I also had a 9cm cyst so the right ovary was taken out but he managed to clean up the left one.

Anyway I have recovered really well, I now only take pain med before I go to bed at night. I was petrified too just before the op and it was this site that got me through. The medical staff were amazed at how calm I actually was!!

Please keep the messages up, even if you think they are trivial (I even asked one about buying nightwear!!). This is a wonderful site and will also keep you sane post op.

All the very best,

Diana

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register