Is Denial a River in Egypt? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is Denial a River in Egypt? Is Denial a River in Egypt?

Unread 03-29-2002, 11:43 PM
Is Denial a River in Egypt?

Hi Everyone
Well, after having a date scheduled, then cancelled due to insurance, and having to change Drs.... I am scheduled for a LAVH next Tuesday, 4/2... I am so nervous... and find myself denying the problems I've had throughout my entire menstrual life! Did anyone else do that? I started late, at 14... and at 15 had my first surgery for polycystic ovaries... from there, multiple D&C's, miscarriages, excessive bleeding & clots... and please forgive me if I'm getting too detailed, but as I said... I'm denying it all! I'm thinking that I really don't need this surgery (even though I've had one constant period all year... and alot of pain, and what I can only describe as "flooding"... Am I just afraid? I'm driving my sisters and fiancee crazy.
I also have another question, will I end up with really hairy arms? I know that sounds ridiculous, but I've seen women who have had excessive body hair after hysterectomy,,, and I must admit I am a bit concerned.... I am keeping my ovaries (hopefully).. but given my history with PCOD, that might not be an option.
This web site is wonderful.... thank you all so much for sharing. Thus far all of my questions have been answered, so i hadn't needed to ask....
Hugs
Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2002, 01:47 AM

Relax, Donna, you won't end up with hairy arms. Besides, there's always Nair.

Sounds like you've had a rough time of it. That's just as scary to me as surgery was. I hesitated also and checked out all the options. I had a C-section years ago and it was awful. It was the one reason I never wanted a second child. Facing that same surgery again was terrifying to me.

Even more terrifying was the pain and heavy periods I had. Flooding is a good word for it. I also had fears of cancer risks. It came down to having one procedure and having it not work and needing surgery anyway, or just having the surgery and getting it over with. I opted for the later.

I feel so much better, even more so when I realize I don't have to worry about periods anymore! I'm on HRT, estrogen. Testosterone in higher doses can cause women to grow body hair, but that's not a widely used HRT, and when it is used, estrogen counteracts it.

Check back here and let us know how it goes for you. Best of luck.
Unread 03-30-2002, 06:04 AM
Is that a trick question?? :)

Quite a few ladies second guessed their decision as the day grew closer. That is one of the reasons that waiting is the hardest part! You will feel lots better when this is behind you!

's
Ilovrmont
Bev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2002, 08:12 AM

Making people around you crazy is one of the symptoms of hysterneed! You have had a terrible time of it throughout your life. Even if you're uncomfortable, it's what you are familiar with. A hysterectomy does mean a change but for me it was a change for only the positive. I didn't start out with even a 1/4 of the things you have been through. As trite as it sounds...the waiting is the worst part. Here are huge sister hugs and best wishes for you!
Unread 03-30-2002, 12:15 PM
Hi Donna

Denial and fear can show up in alot of ways. Gee, even with my diagnosis of Endometrial Cancer I was trying to find ways out of the surgery and hoping to find someone or something to tell me there was another option.
We cannot hear it enough but Waiting Really Is the Hardest Part.
It is so wonderful to have the flooding and anemia behind me. I feel good and now have a normal healthy life.
You are dealing with alot. It is going to be okay and then better than okay. Please stay focused on the future with no bleeding, ruined clothes, exhaustion, pain, frustration etc. WOW! A new life awaits you.
Please keep reading and posting. We're here for you.
Unread 03-30-2002, 01:24 PM
I am 3 days post op....can I help?

Hi,

Yes I just had my hyst on 3/27/02. I tried to avoid this like the plague. I worried about every aspect of this surgery for over a year. Your concerns are normal, your nerves are normal, and everytime I got a break from the bleeding, I tried to convince myself this time it would get better...........and it did'nt.

So let me try to calm a few of your fears. My surgery was Wednesday a.m. at 10:30. I started to wake in recovery about 12:45 p.m. and was VERY thirsty, Ice chips to the rescue, but only a few at a time and very slowly!!!!!

By 2:00 I settled in my room for a long nap. Was awake and talking to my DH and DD by 8:00 p.m. Worst part of the whole thing has been the nausea from pain meds!!! Came home thursday p.m. and switched to advil on friday for pain control. I am very sore, kind of like a bruised feeling and have a swelly belly......and it hurts to laugh!!!

I am glad I found the courage to face this surgery with a positive attitude..........but it was not easy. Now that the tough part is over I will have to be patient with myself and allow the time to recover.

Really the worst part was the waiting, I wish you peace of mind and a speedy recovery. Please post when you feel up to it! I will be watching the boards!!!
Unread 03-30-2002, 02:18 PM
me too

Vtartist, I did the same thing. I had my hyst for severe cramps, and as the date approached, I kept thinking, "My problems are so much less than other women's, maybe I should just keep toughing it out, it's only bad 1 week a month, do I really want this, so many things could go wrong, why did I want this surgery again?"

Now all that anxiety is a thing of the past. I remember it like it was a dream, and it's only been 2 1/2 weeks. Surgery is scary; hysterectomy is scary. But you'll feel so much better once it's over. Toughing it out till you get into the OR and fall asleep is incredibly difficult. I think we all deserve medals for our bravery in not running for the hills!

Right after surgery I didn't feel waiting was the hardest part, but now I do. I had a couple of brief rough spots, but generally am having a great recovery.

The thing that was most important to me was convincing myself that I would be the same person after the surgery. I was terrified I wouldn't be, that my hormones would be in chaos and change my personality, that without a uterus I'd be someone else. Didn't happen. I'm still me.

Good luck to you!

Melissa
Unread 03-30-2002, 06:30 PM

Donna,
I love the title of your post! My DH always says funny things about "denial being a river in Egypt."

As others have said, your fears sound pretty normal for someone who is just a few days away from hyst surgery. It is scary and no one can erase that fear for you, unfortunately. So many of us tried denying our pain, our years of problems, etc ... anything to avoid this surgery. I was one of those "ladies in denial" myself. Was my pain really bad enough? So many other ladies here at hystersisters seemed to have far worse problems. Every time I had a good day, I changed my mind again. Whew, I'm sure glad that part is over. Now, I can't thank my gyn enough. Life without pain is wonderful!

LissaLee: thanks for sharing your story. I know how worried you were that you would wake up as "someone else." Glad to hear that you are still you.

Donna: Please don't worry about growing lots of hair on your arms. I'm 4 months post op, didn't take any estrogen for 12 weeks, and now I'm taking the lowest dose they make (0.3 mg). I have not dried up and blown away (as some ladies have been told), the hair on my arms is the same, many people I work with tell me how much healthier and happier I look now. And it's true. No more "white as a ghost" days, no more bleeding through my clothes, no more belly pain that had me doubled over at times.

We're here for you, any way we can be supportive. Hang in there. I really think you'll say you made the right decision a couple of weeks from now.

Beth

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register